Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How confident are you feeling on the New Drive-by-Wire Technology Acura are offering on MDX. IT seems to be a first generation on this type of vehicle, and I heard so many of horror stories on the new tranny on Type-S TL when it first came out. Are you willing to be the ginnie pig for Acura?

:confused:

·
Registered
285 Posts
well, the drive-by-wire has been implemented on the NSX for a long time... and it seems to be working just fine...

but, i have to agree that IF i ever want to trade in my 02 MDX for a new version, it would not be the 03 model, i would wait at least another year for the 04 model...;)

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Being an electrical engineer, I know some of the things that can go wrong with electronics; therefore, drive-by-wire isn't one of my favorite ideas. But it should have one advantage -- no more of the infamous Throttle Cable Bracket buzz!:5: BTW, the Pilot has what appears to be the same bracket as the '01-'02 MDX, and it appears to have only about 1/8" clearance; the fix for the MDX specified 10mm clearance, or about 3/8". I clued in my favorite Honda service writer on what to look for if buzz complaints come in.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NSX is RWD, MDX is 4WD

NSX has Drive-By-Wire for a long time, but it is their first time to implement it on 4WD car. I am not sure I still want the 1st allocation of 03 MDX, and get the Pilot instead....My Pilot's Vin number is here. I am still undecided if I want to go with 03 MDX or the Pilot.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: NSX is RWD, MDX is 4WD

2003MDX said:
NSX has Drive-By-Wire for a long time, but it is their first time to implement it on 4WD car. I am not sure I still want the 1st allocation of 03 MDX, and get the Pilot instead....My Pilot's Vin number is here. I am still undecided if I want to go with 03 MDX or the Pilot.

The fact Acura has experience with it should be good enough. It doesn't really matter whether it's used on a sports car, sedan, or SUV. It works basically the same.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Re: NSX is RWD, MDX is 4WD

2003MDX said:
I am still undecided if I want to go with 03 MDX or the Pilot.

well, you might have heard about this already: there's an issue with acura/honda's transmission unit (if you search for 'transmission problem' here, you can locate several threads with detailed discussions)... the 02 pilot is using the same unit as the 02 mdx, whereas the 03 mdx is coming with a new unit (not necessarily more reliable though)... and given other improvements of the 03 mdx over the 02 version, i would probably take the 03 mdx over the 02 pilot...

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
The drive by wire setup should cause no problem. Yes, it's been used on the overpriced (I love putting that word in) NSX for years. So what that it's being used on an AWD for the first time. That has nothing to do with the drive by wire system. The NSX is a transverse mount powertrain just like the MDX. But that has nothing to do with it either. The fact is that it's just not new technology...not to Honda or most anyone else.

Rob

·
Registered
2 Posts
DbyW & VSA

I also had a little tingling of 'what if the Drive By Wire malfunction and the X speeds up when I take my foot off the accelator'. But it was a fainting thought.

Then I began wondering if the DbyW was needed by the VSA, and that is why Acura put both in place at the same time. I thought maybe the VSA computer 'in times of need' controls the throttle, the 4WD, and the ABS brakes. It made some sense to me. Anyone else think this?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Makes some sense that the Drive By Wire would be associated with the VSA. However, I would think that the VSA would just use the ABS brakes to do any adjusting.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: DbyW & VSA

pjhawk said:
I also had a little tingling of 'what if the Drive By Wire malfunction and the X speeds up when I take my foot off the accelator'. But it was a fainting thought.

Then I began wondering if the DbyW was needed by the VSA, and that is why Acura put both in place at the same time. I thought maybe the VSA computer 'in times of need' controls the throttle, the 4WD, and the ABS brakes. It made some sense to me. Anyone else think this?
I think you are putting more into the drive-by-wire feature than there really is. With a conventional linkage/cable you still have a throttle position sensor that inputs to the processor for all events requiring such data, including ABS.
I would imagine the cruise control still works as a cable system unless they integrate that also into the drive by wire system.

·
** BANNED ** (enough is enough)
275 Posts
Here's a possible scenario for why drive by wire is useful in the MDX...

My friends at GM have this wonderful new vehicle called the Hummer H2. It uses drive by wire, since the Excalade powertrain it borrows from has it too. Caddy's Stabilitrak like Corvette's traction control system first retards spark in a wheelslip event, then uses throttle intervention, THEN applying the brakes as the last line of defense. In the Hummer's case, this system is even more advanced. The TCS2 system on the Hummer controls throttle tip in speed depending on which transfer case mode is being used. If you were to select 4LockLow on the transfer case the system assumes you are in a terrian where losing traction is very bad (like on a rocky incline perhaps). So if the driver were to do something stupid like feed alot of throttle which under a mechanically actuated throttle would instantly open the throttle causing a slip, the drive by wire throttle may open the throttle at a slower speed to minimize the "shock" to the drivetrain hopefully preventing a wheelspin before it happens.

Perhaps the drive by wire in the MDX is going to be tied to the VTM-4 Lock button to do this very same throttle tip in speed control...

Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts