Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a '15 SHAWD tech/ent and shopping a '17 advanced.

I wanted the tow package on the '17 and was trying to get them to throw it in. They said they would transfer my tow package from the '15 to the '17 and throw in the labor.

Im assuming they know what they're doing but coming to the experts here on the boards to see if you know if the two are compatible.

thanks!

·
Registered
154 Posts
The dealership should know the answer to this so I suspect the hitch and wiring harness will fit. You will need the correct transmission cooler for the 2017 which is likely to be pretty expensive if you can't get the dealer to install it for free.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
The dealership should know the answer to this so I suspect the hitch and wiring harness will fit. You will need the correct transmission cooler for the 2017 which is likely to be pretty expensive if you can't get the dealer to install it for free.
Veeery dangerous to assume the dealer knows anything correctly lol, especially if you have the tow package that includes the cooler (correct about the cooler being different).

The hitch itself looks to be identical. The ball mount, hitch pin, clip, receiver cover, bolts, washer bolts are all the same. The harness kit LOOKS identical, but has a new part number, so be cautious there. It probably will work just fine, but PN changes usually indicate necessary changes to the parts. The bumper trailer hitch covers are NOT the same though. So, unless you can get the cover separately, you either have to go with no cover or... something like sourcing just the cover.

The 2014-16 kit one is most likely the same, though I wonder about the attachment points. The older kit even has an additional front lower grille, which the 2017 doesn't need and the 2017 comes with a nice labeled fuse cover plate.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks, neoshi.

I need to check to see what I have - I bought the "tow package" in 2014 but just noticed on the hitch that it rated for only 3500 lbs which leads me to believe I only got the hitch and not the cooler.

It also looks as if the full package is not available on the FWD anyway. Given my relocation to more southern latitudes I'm not seeing the need for AWD anymore...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
an update: everything was compatible except for the lower trim piece - dealer said they had to get a new piece from a new kit.

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
I'm assuming that you had no transmission cooler and that they only swapped over the hitch and harness, correct?

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
according to my dealer, transmission cooler is different on the '16 due to the 9-speed
same should apply to the '17
Yes, correct. New transmission cooler started in 16 with the 9ZF that carried over to 17+. 14 and 15 use the older cooler. Will be curious what we will see with the 7DCT coming soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts