Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched multiple forums but found no information so I'm asking here. The subject is FRONT trailer hitch.

I'm considering a 1st or 2nd Gen MDX as a tow vehicle. I like them better than the Pilots for various reasons. I need a Front trailer hitch.

Front hitches are made for 1st Gen Pilots, and the same part number fits the 1st Gen Ridgeline. It's unclear to me whether it will fit 1st G MDX, but given the shared structure with the Pilot, you would assume it would fit. Don't know that definitively though, which is why I ask.

Trailer hitch dealers look at me like I'm a alien when I ask the question. Most are unfamiliar with front hitches to begin with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No. Looking for the ability to hold a personal (non-commercial) snow plow, as well as for easier boat trailer parking in tight quarters.

The 2nd Gen Pilot has such a front hitch and the basic structure of the 2 vehicles is largely the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm also interested hearing the answer to this. I want to use the front hitch to hold a winch basket. So when I'm in driving in snowy roads/off roads in Utah winter, I have a shot at recovering myself.

The pilot model for a Curt front hitch is: 33328. I emailed Curt to ask if they if they knew if it would fit, or if it would not. they didn't know.

I'll probably end up buying it at risk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Thanks for the instructions.

I went out and looked under the car. It looks like similar holes are certainly there. Is there interference or some other difference? TBD....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there did you
Hey Thanks for the instructions.

I went out and looked under the car. It looks like similar holes are certainly there. Is there interference or some other difference? TBD....
Hey Robert,

Did you ever end up installing this? If so what was the outcome? Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys.

So great news. I can confirm IT FITS!

That's my contribution to the internet for a while. Wonder if that is the only confirmed install out there....

A few notes:
1) you have to fish some bolts through the side of the bumper frame about 30" or so to drop down and then attach the mount via nuts. (you fish by wrapping the bolt in a piece of wire and pushing that bolt through the frame. Without removing a lot of coverings, accessing the entry points of the bumper frame is a pain, and then of course pushing the wire and trying to figure out where the bolt is sitting, much less getting it to drop through the holes is some sort of laughable puzzle. I'd guess that each bolt (1 on each side) took me two hours. But get lucky, and maybe it's 5 minutes. Your results may vary.

Also, it does sit fairly low. I think the ground clearance I measured is 10.5" but from an approach angle it compromises that quite a bit. Attaching anything to the hitch with protrudes straight forward will compromise further. I'm experimenting with a riser.

I'm also installing a ready lift 2" lift kit, which will give me some of the approach angle back.

I'll get a pic at some point.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts