Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
View attachment 122513

Your only concern will be the fenders. 40 aspect doesnt match stock diamter of the tires, you really should be looking at 35 aspect to match stock diameter.
What is that software you’re using? Thanks for your detailed response, I really appreciate it. I’ll have to wait and see, I already ordered the set. By any chance you know if this set will cause any issues with the powertrain?

·
Registered
'22 MDX Type S Adv
401 Posts
My stock wheel is the 20” grey version with 255/50r20 tires. I think the 21” you used is for the Type S model.
Doesn't really matter, you are still increasing the diameter of the tire a lot.

The sidewall figure is a ratio to the section width. So your stock tires have 127mm sidewall (255*.5) and the new ones have 114mm sidewall (285*.4) but you added 1 inch of radius. So the new tire is 13mm shorter sidewall but 25.4mm bigger radius, and you've then added 12.4*2 or about an inch of diameter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doesn't really matter, you are still increasing the diameter of the tire a lot.

The sidewall figure is a ratio to the section width. So your stock tires have 127mm sidewall (255*.5) and the new ones have 114mm sidewall (285*.4) but you added 1 inch of radius. So the new tire is 13mm shorter sidewall but 25.4mm bigger radius, and you've then added 12.4*2 or about an inch of diameter.
And I get all of this, I teach math so it’s all making sense. The website you shared gives a lot more insight. I see my issue might be on the outside with the fenders. I don’t know the mechanical part and I’ve heard of wrong size wheels effecting the transmission. The added 1” in diameter worries me, I just don’t want to mess up my new ride. Fingers crossed until Friday when they should be arriving and mounted. I’ll update with feedback and some photos in case someone else was wondering the same thing.

·
Registered
'22 MDX Type S Adv
401 Posts
I wouldn't have selected to have an extra inch of diameter... it will increase the load on the drive train. Probably not outside the safety factor but not insignificant.

4800lb/4 = 1200lb * 0.5 in = 600in-lb of torque added to each wheel, 1200in-lb total per diff...

600in-lb = 50lb-ft

Really in practice all we are discussing is the loss in power you may feel. Some significant oompf will be lost with the larger tire size. If you were trying to tow with this setup you could see some negative drive train component life expectancies.

·
Registered
2022 Acura MDX Advance, Majestic Black Pearl, Full Nose PPF, Clear Plex windshield, Ceramic Coated.
176 Posts
You will also need to update the computer as well as this will shut down your CBMS detecting tire size or other system (such as VSA) malfunction. See manual.

You can use those bi-directional scan tool that can update tire size without going to the dealership.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Getting 22"x10.5" ET+35 wheels for my 2023 MDX A-Spec. Does anyone know if 285/40r22 tires will rub? I currently have the grey 20” wheels with 255/50r20 tires.
From someone who's purchased about 15 sets of aftermarket wheels over the years, next time be sure to ask these types of questions before you purchase your wheels and tires. Perhaps you purchased these online, but a good wheel shop should have directed you to the appropriate diameter.

You're increasing from 763mm (30") to 786.8mm (31") which may be an issue on full steering tilt (left or right). As mentioned above, you may have to cut or remove part of the inner fender plastic.

You may be okay, but there's definitely a bit of gambling here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wouldn't have selected to have an extra inch of diameter... it will increase the load on the drive train. Probably not outside the safety factor but not insignificant.

4800lb/4 = 1200lb * 0.5 in = 600in-lb of torque added to each wheel, 1200in-lb total per diff...

600in-lb = 50lb-ft

Really in practice all we are discussing is the loss in power you may feel. Some significant oompf will be lost with the larger tire size. If you were trying to tow with this setup you could see some negative drive train component life expectancies.
It worked. I rubbing or mods needed. My bro is a auto tech 20+ years. He said as long as the wheels are all the same size the difference in mine won’t be anything to worry about. I went with his word. So far so good.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From someone who's purchased about 15 sets of aftermarket wheels over the years, next time be sure to ask these types of questions before you purchase your wheels and tires. Perhaps you purchased these online, but a good wheel shop should have directed you to the appropriate diameter.

You're increasing from 763mm (30") to 786.8mm (31") which may be an issue on full steering tilt (left or right). As mentioned above, you may have to cut or remove part of the inner fender plastic.

You may be okay, but there's definitely a bit of gambling here.
Thanks for all the feedback. No mods needed. 🙌🏼

·
Registered
223 Posts
It worked. I rubbing or mods needed. My bro is a auto tech 20+ years. He said as long as the wheels are all the same size the difference in mine won’t be anything to worry about. I went with his word. So far so good. View attachment 122623
I like it. Do you have other angles? The black on black looks clean. (y)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts