Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Titles sort of says it all

My wife's 09 just cracked 100,000 miles. I have done the 100k maitenance and changed the timing belt last weekend, other than that the car has been pretty robust. We have owned it for the last 2 years and the only issues I have had with it is a HVAC mixer door that needed a bit of grease and to disconnect the HandsFreeLink because it was killing the battery....

So, you guys with 150 or 200 or 300k.... What are the few items to go? Transmission? Seals? Should I expect the electrical "bells and whistles" (circa 2009) to start failing?

The plan is to keep it for another 1.5 years until my daughter can take it over and my wife will jump to an electric vehicle (that new Hummer truck is sounding amazing!) so I plan for it to be in the family for many more years.

Thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts

My wife's 09 just cracked 100,000 miles. I have done the 100k maitenance and changed the timing belt last weekend, other than that the car has been pretty robust. We have owned it for the last 2 years and the only issues I have had with it is a HVAC mixer door......so I plan for it to be in the family for many more years.

Thanks
We’re about 120K & planning on another decade with our ‘09. One thing to watch out for is the leak in the rear rain gutter - usually the driver side. This summer I would recommend prophylacticly sealing at least the very end of the channel where it turn down at the hatch. From a Honda quality standpoint this was a big fail in my opinion - some people had major losses due to the electrical behind the panel back there (I would probably at least cover that with a plastic bag). Search “water leak” on the forum.

The negative ground from the battery corroded inside its sheath. An under $20 part if you buy it instead of getting it from the dealer. We’re in the PNW though so lot’s more moisture than the average.

Our driver seat has developed a crack.

I’m probably going to refresh the suspension. It’s okay but definitely looser than when we got it at 13K & I’m planning another 100K & 10 years anyway.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
So, you guys with 150 or 200 or 300k.... What are the few items to go?
The usual mileage stuff that basically falls under maintenance:
1) Oil pump seal (should have been done with the TB at 100K, since you have to remove the TB and the oil pan for that.
2) Rear seal
3) Lower control arms
4) Dampers
5) Power steering rack
6) Alternator
6) Battery positive terminal gets loose (resolved by adding a metal conductive part to make it tight again).

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I'm at +140,000 miles on my 11 MDX Adv+Ent and it has just been routine maint after the big 105,000 service. I did do the power steering flush with the 105k service, 3 years on brake fluid, and did an alignment with new tires at 124,000 miles.

Didn't the 07-09 MDXs have an issue with trans/radiator fluid mixing together? Not sure if it worth doing preemptive fix or wait.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Definitely deal with the radiator/trans cooler is proactively. Just no sense in toasting an otherwise solid transmission by having coolant mixed into the trans fluid. Either replace the radiator or bypass the internal trans cooler. Besides that just keep after the fluid intervals and that car should go a long way yet. My '07 Honda Odyssey (same platform) has 220K with no significant repairs needed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Was going to say the wife may get squeaky, but you said she wants tk keep it, so other than the normal maintenance, youre good.

·
Registered
64 Posts

My wife's 09 just cracked 100,000 miles. I have done the 100k maitenance and changed the timing belt last weekend, other than that the car has been pretty robust. We have owned it for the last 2 years and the only issues I have had with it is a HVAC mixer door that needed a bit of grease and to disconnect the HandsFreeLink because it was killing the battery....

So, you guys with 150 or 200 or 300k.... What are the few items to go? Transmission? Seals? Should I expect the electrical "bells and whistles" (circa 2009) to start failing?

The plan is to keep it for another 1.5 years until my daughter can take it over and my wife will jump to an electric vehicle (that new Hummer truck is sounding amazing!) so I plan for it to be in the family for many more years.

Thanks
You should expect the same as you did for the first 100,000 miles IF you have been 100% faithful to Acura maintenance schedules. Acura auto trans are pretty good, but they do need maintenance done per schedule. Honda seals are pretty decent so there is a good chance they'll survive for 200,000 miles and probably more, but if they leak make sure you get them taken care of as soon as you notice it. The biggest problem with any modern cars is electronics going wonky, and some of those can be very pricey, but I have heard of Honda's and Acura's going over 300,000 miles without any electronic issues...this is more of a testament about Japanese electronics quality which affects Toyota and Lexus as well as other Japanese cars. The really killer of any car is not keeping an eye on oil level, and especially a coolant leak, heat will kill an engine very quickly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have an 07’ Tech&Entertain with 197k on it. Besides regular maintenance we had to replace the alternator and the EGR valve. Otherwise it’s been pretty smooth sailing.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Was going to say the wife may get squeaky, but you said she wants tk keep it, so other than the normal maintenance, youre good.
Both need continued routine maintenance, otherwise you incur huge bills (divorce settlement or multiple part failures).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts