Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 2017 AWD came with 245/50/R20 tires.

Has anyone put on wider tires? What size and make? Any problems....scrubbing, odometer, ect...? Photos anyone?

I love the 20"s but they just seem to have such a narrow width/stance.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've always had good luck with using this site for comparisons:
Tire Size Calculator - Tire & Wheel Plus Sizing

I haven't plugged it in, but a 265/45/20 should be close. Maybe a smudge smaller. That site I linked will also tell you the % difference and how far off the speedometer will be.

Reactions: jsarino

·
Registered
96 Posts
I did a lil researching on my own.
255/50/20 and 265/45/20 would be good options for the factory 20" wheels. Both are around a 1% change in height and shouldn't affect the dynamics of the vehicle as a result. I was looking into Continental's options and those two sizes drastically open up the tire availability. FWIW, the 255/50/20 seems to fall into XL load ratings and bumps the tire's load ratings up around 2700lbs from the stock 245/50/20's 1800 lbs. Something to consider as that's likely going to increase sidewall stiffness and thus alter your ride quality slightly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you got the wider tires, would be nice if you posted pics. I too think stock tires are too narrow and want to see if there is a considerable difference in looks with 265.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was looking to get 275/45-20 on all 4 wheels on my AWD MDX hybrid but I don't know if the OEM 8" wheel would fit. also, I am concerned that turning the steering wheel would cause it to rub against the car. do anyone have insight on this?

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would never use 275 tire on a 8,5 rim, tyre would balloon way too much on the relatively narrow rim, making stability and cornering very indirect and wobbly

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in the same boat and currently have 245/50/R20 narrow tires on my MDX. In reading some of the detailed post (much appreciated), Im leaning towards the 255/50/20 and 265/45/20. Does anyone have any preferences of the two or maybe have any pictures to share, that will show the difference of the tires above? Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too noticed the narrow tires and looked into the 255/50-20 option. There certainly are more choices in that size and that normally means better choices than the Continentals. It is very likely what I will purchase in the near future.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I got 275/45/R19 on my 2010 MDX with ZDX wheels, looks and drives great.
That’s a 2nd gen... it doesn’t apply. This is the 3rd gen forum.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I got 275/45/R19 on my 2010 MDX with ZDX wheels, looks and drives great.
I wonder how you have 275 width tires on a a ZDX wheel that has the same dimensions (19x8.5, +45mm offset) as your MDX wheels with no issues. Arent you rubbing under full turns left or right?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I wonder how you have 275 width tires on a ZDX wheel that has the same dimensions (19x8.5, +45mm offset) as your MDX wheels with no issues. Arent you rubbing under full turns left or right?
No rubbing or any other issues... speedo is not affected, nada. ZDX wheel is pretty much same as an OEM 2010 MDX Advance wheel, different pattern.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Brand new to Mdxer here. We recently got a CPO 2017 MDX. I too hated the anorexic tires. We also looked at the Volvo XC90 when shopping and for some reason our local Volvo dealer has 275 beefy tires on almost all of their xc90, even the base T5 models. Then I looked at the MDX and thought man, what was Acura thinking?! So i went and got Michelin 255/50/20 Defender LTX tires after reading this thread. Although I would love to get 265, I wasn't sure if that's a good idea on the 8" rims according to the Tire Size Calculator posted by MCDavis on post #2. I took before/after pics. With 265 I think we'll definitely see a difference even in pictures, with 255...not so much. At least not in pictures (sorry maybe it's the way I didn't keep the camera distance consistent), but I can see a bit of improvement in person. Size difference aside, IMO (and those of quite a few people online) the Michelins are better tires. I think they're much better than the stock Continental CrossContact: higher speed rating, longer thread life and extra load rated.

Acura offers wider wheel/tire upgrade, but I think this is the most economical route for a little size improvement. Big improvement in term of tire quality though. Then again, we all can upgrade to the 2019 MDX with the A-Spec package right?

Attachments

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hicu15 I'm in the market for some larger/better tires than OEM. Maybe a wider set will make it ride a little better?
How are the Michelin Defender LTX tires holding up?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
So i went and got Michelin 255/50/20 Defender LTX tires after reading this thread.
The difference in tread width between the factory OEM spec tire size in the Michelin Premier (which is what I now have on mine) and your non-OEM size Michelin Defender is about 1/3 of an inch. This would be almost impossible to even notice when looking at the tire (the main criteria some people use - just the 'looks' of the tire) and would likely not have a significant impact on performance. Bouncing your non-OEM sized Michelin Defender against the OEM sized Michelin Defender yields a bigger difference - about 6/10 of an inch.

The main point - many of the non-OEM sized tires yield very little actual differences in the tread width - to the point where it's likely not worth even considering.

Also - don't forget, when the manufacturer chooses a tire they include things like the impact on mileage as well, which could cause them to select a somewhat less gnarly looking tire, even if most of us wouldn't care that much about a minimal impact on mileage.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So in a nut shell, buying the same sized Conti's are going to be the best tire?
What mileage are you guys getting out of them?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts