Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are tons of TL owners fix there own car and only very few MDX owners work on theirs. Is it because MDX owners are getting too old and don’t have the physical capacity or they are just have a lot of money and paid the dealer to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I think the TL and MDX attract different demographics. You’ll see a lot more people who work on cars out of necessity who like the TL as a “nicer” car. You’ll also see more tuners/modding enthusiasts with the TL as it’s a sedan.

Reactions: 2013silvrmdx

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the reason I bought MDX because I have a son and he was 5 back then. And I passed my 2007 TL to my mom which is currently has 85k miles. I still love that car more than my current MDX. here is my TL

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think the MDX does attract a different demographic as was mentioned earlier. This tends to be more of a family vehicle and its harder to take a chance on damaging a vehicle needed by the family vs the TL which is more likely to not be the main family vehicle. I work on all of my vehicles including my x.

·
Registered
761 Posts
In my circle 3 lease, I own. The leasees don’t care about maintaining the MDX as they are giving it back so they do the absolute bare minimum to nothing at all. I even offered to help them but they don’t want to bother at all. It’s why they lease.

I see the same behavior in my neighborhood - those that lease never work on their own cars. Those that own are changing fluids, brakes, struts etc...

I am the only the person I know that owns the MDX besides folks on this forum.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
My MDX has needed zero repairs so I've not really had any reason to decide whether or not to do that type of work. As with maintenance items, my decision to DIY or use a dealer/mechanic just depends on what's needed and if my schedule allows for it. I've always done the oil changes myself simply because it's quicker and cheaper than taking it somewhere. I had the dealer do the timing belt for several reasons, mainly that I just didn't want to bother with it. They quoted me a very good price and I like that they're on the hook if a part fails or something goes wrong.

One of the main reasons I bought the MDX was that they're very reliable and shouldn't require much beyond routine maintenance. If I really wanted to spend my life in the garage I'd still have a driveway full of Euro cars.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
I do minor work like changing out HID bulbs, air/cabin filters, checking PSI, and wipers. Some other items are covered by lifetime or limited warranties from Firestone (alignment), Interstate battery, or Discount Tires (rotation/balance). Minor repair issues like alternator, power steering pump, or performance parts upgrades (2 Progress RSB, Camber kits+endlinks, ETS intercooler, Hondata, struts/shocks) are handled by on-line or local purchase to take to a third party shop. I purchase my own oil and spark plugs to take to Acura for A/B services and I let Acura do most other fluid changes when services are due. Almost everything else is covered by the Acura basic, powertrain, extended, or Acura Care warranties.

The only things left are minor issues I can fix locally are things like repairing torn armrest, replace floppy sun visor, or replacing missing plastic clips in engine bay.

I'm +50 years old and grew up in the shade tree mechanic days. I would help my older bros change out an worn out engine with only 80,000 miles in our garage or replacing water pumps, recharging A/C, or spraying to remove carbon/gunk build-up from the carburetor. Pretty much the crappiest car in 2018 is 5X more reliable and require way less maintenance compared to the best car when I was a kid.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Done a lot of work on my wife’s 08 mdx. Starter, tensioner, shocks, struts, filters, fluids, belt, hands free module, oil pressure switch, brakes, interior bulbs, install hitch, wheel bearing, door harness, PCv, bumper garnish, a/c relay, etc. 135k Miles would hate to pay someone to do all above, car would have gotten traded. Money saved doing it myself I can also use synthetic fluids and still be money ahead. Knock on wood car runs great, drives like new.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ill do whatever work I can on my X. Struts? I’ll do it. Gonna have to do them on my dads 2012 TL. That being said, I also need to do sway bar bushings soon. Dammit, something else I need to do but can’t remember...

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
The MDX is a family crossover where the TL is a "Sports Sedan" so its bound to attract more Car Enthusiasts..
But in difficult rate the TL takes the cake, Its T-Belt job is far harder to do than the MDX so mechanically wise the TL is the hardest car to work on.

I have a TL Type-S

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will be performing a major surgery on my X pretty soon. Removing oil pump for oil leak, timing belt, water pump, crankshaft seal, camshaft seal and later on replace the camshaft. FUN FUN FUN !!!

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Sounds like an all day job to me, Better have the cold ones ready.. I would probably do a barbeque while I was it..

·
Banned
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like an all day job to me, Better have the cold ones ready.. I would probably do a barbeque while I was it..

Probably a weekend job , Friday night to Saturday night. I am getting everything line up except I don’t have the camshaft. I will do the camshaft a month or two from now. I don’t want to have too many things going. I am 100% confidence this will go well except cut and bruises on my hands but I will try not to get cuts and bruises. Any tips not to get cuts and bruises on your hands? Wear thick gloves?

·
Registered
761 Posts
For me, the MDX is a family car. So I just drop off to a shop and get it done while I spend my time with the family. When it balance out, my personal time is worth more than trying to wrench on my own car.
I use the wrenching time to get the kids off their devices and to help me one way or another. It’s a teaching moment and gives them a great skill or at least the understanding that they can do things themselves. It’s good family time but my kids are of age to handle tools.

Together we can change the fluids on three cars a lot faster than bringing them to a shop. And then to coordinate how to get to the shop and back is a Production in it of itself.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I use the wrenching time to get the kids off their devices and to help me one way or another. It’s a teaching moment and gives them a great skill or at least the understanding that they can do things themselves. It’s good family time but my kids are of age to handle tools.

Together we can change the fluids on three cars a lot faster than bringing them to a shop. And then to coordinate how to get to the shop and back is a Production in it of itself.
Agreed 100% percent. I really dont get, how people say, dont have time, rather spend time with family etc... But they have time t go to the dealer? I call it nonsense.
For example go to dealer 20min. oil change 30min +and sometimes extra time dealing with bull**** dealer, going back home another 20min. 2hours gone from my day.
I can do my Acura and Infitni in 30min. and i know, i will do it right...
This summer, had my rear brakes replaced. It took me 25min (I timed it). How long it would take at the dealer? +you will need schedule APT. I guess some people dont know how, or dont have tools or just lazy. And just say: I would rather spend time with family....
No offense, but some things, dont make sense to me.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
He didn´t say he replaced the rotors so doing the rear axle brake pads with a good jack (Lifting the entire rear end) and power tools in 25 min is no big deal. Now if he said he lifted each wheel independently and used hand tools? well 25min would be pretty impressive.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.