Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Why run 91 octane

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  flash5670 
#1 ·
I own a new Honda Pilot and wife has a new MDX both have the same engine. Same compression 11.5 so why run different fuel in each Honda 87 minimum Acura 91 but states no lower than 87 octane in MDX explain that. Acura says 10 more horse power is 10 horse power worth 50 to 60 cents more per gallon just asking.

#2 ·
I run with what is recommended. If your MDX is required 87+ and recommended with 91+, you can run either. This is your choice. Personally, I would take this into consideration before purchase, instead of now and trying to figure if you can save $10 on each fill up.

#3 ·
If I could not afford the gas I would not have purchased the MDX I traded a BMW 5 series for the MDX. So the gas prices are not the question the engines both are 11.5 compression Honda and Acura 3.5 liters so why difference in gas octane same engine. Not some look down the nose answer

#5 · (Edited)
My S.W.A.G. is the Acura 3.5L ECU is tuned to run on 91 octane; but, can adjust down to 87 octane with a slight loss in maximum hp/tp depending on power requirements (city, hwy, towing, high altitudes, sea level, etc...). You may or may not notice the drop in hp/tq in normal driving conditions like long flat hwy runs. The Honda 3.5L ECU is tuned to run on 87 octane and provide no performance advantage if you use 91 octane.

The MDX is a sportier version of the Pilot with a sport tuned suspension, sporty programing of sh-awd, and higher performing powertrain. You can drive the MDX like a Pilot (stick with 87 octane); but, it would be harder to drive a Pilot like a MDX.

Just a speculation on my part...

#6 ·
I think you’re right. There’s a video on YouTube where they compare a Pilot and MDX. The MDX easily won when they drag raced them, even though it weighs more. Might be “same engine”, but theres a difference. And the difference is enough to use the recommended premium fuel.

#7 ·
The Pilot and MDX are so similar to the point you can think of the MDX as a Sport Luxury trim level above the Pilot. The only two versions that are unique to Acura are the 17-20 MDX Sport Hybrid and the +22 MDX Type-S.

#8 ·
It seems some generations do better with premium fuel, and some do not, even though it’s “recommended” for all of them. I’ve had my 2002 for 16 years. I’ve used premium a couple of times over the years to see if there was any difference. There was not for me. Same mpgs, same performance. So, I’ve used regular for 16 years and 170,000 miles now.

I’ve read newer generations might actually see a difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.