Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 05 mdx with 93xxx miles on it and I bought it a little before it had 91k miles for 8 grand. Pretty good deal on it at the time. I love the car and the ride but man my MPG is just ****.

When I got the car I replaced both filters, did a oil change with synthetic oil and also changed my tranny fluid, replaced front and side motor mounts, replaced the serpentine belt, bought brand new tires and switched the spark plugs along with getting all the dings and dents fixed on the car.

As you can see I did a lot of preventive maintenance to the car so it can last but my MPG is always staying between 10-11 (and that's from me manually doing it, not the trip computer). Granted I live in the city and do mostly city driving, I'm very easy on the gas. Why is my MPG so bad? What can I do to make it better?

How much MPG are you guys getting on your 1st gen mdx (city)? If I can't seem to fix the problem I'm just going to have to sell it for something different. Who knows I might just get a newer model. Something around 15k.

·
Registered
386 Posts
It's a 4500lb vehicle. Mileage in the city is bad for any vehicle weighing that much. A newer 4500lb vehicle isn't really going to help.

Other than that...check your brakes...maybe seized caliper slide pin causing dragging pads? Also...are you running super unleaded? It makes a difference. Probably won't help, but did you change the VTM fluid?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 15 MDX and my MPG is 15-16 all city with quite careful driving so I think your MPG is reasonable if you like to have fast start at every traffic light.

I feel MDX, due to it's heavy weight, consume a lot of gas at lower gears to speed up in city but it has big advantage on highway once the momentum is there. I won't be surprised if people are getting like 12 MPG in all city condition if they like to drive fast.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get premium for gas. Even used chevron techron and it did nothing and no I didn't change the vtm fluid.

I don't pick up fast after a red light. I live in NYC so I hit a lot of red lights and I get between 10-11. **** sucks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
what city do you live in? that'll also make a difference. NYC vs a suburban residential 'city' driving.

but in regards to your MDX itself, it could be aging parts that affect air/fuel ratio, O2 sensor, mass air flow sensor, spark plugs...a lot of different things can affect gas mileage other than your actual driving.

did you get a PPI for your MDX? maybe have a mechanic take a look at your MDX and see if there's anything that needs to be addressed.

Here's an interesting look at every Acura MDX mpg on fully by model year.
Acura MDX Mileage | Fuelly

·
Registered
386 Posts
I get premium for gas. Even used chevron techron and it did nothing and no I didn't change the vtm fluid.

I don't pick up fast after a red light. I live in NYC so I hit a lot of red lights and I get between 10-11. **** sucks.
Hit a lot of red lights...might be the problem right there. Most gas is used getting the vehicle started from a stop. Plus, you might not be getting into the higher gears/torque converter where you will get better fuel economy. For your location/driving situation a hybrid of some sort would be better. Too bad Acura doesn't make one. A hybrid MDX would rock. I used to have a Lexus RX400h and fuel economy in the city was incredible for a medium/large SUV. The newer model is the RX450h. I think Infiniti makes a seven seater hybrid...or the seven seat Highlander Hybrid would be an option if you need seven seats.

·
Registered
84 Posts

doh, i didn't see that you live in NYC. i guess i coincidentally picked NYC in my initial response. that'd explain it.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I agree... "city driving" in NYC is nothing like "city driving" here in the Phoenix, AZ area. Here in the Phoenix area, you're likely to be driving 65+ on one of the many freeways, unless it's rush hour - but even then traffic tends to move pretty well. The surface streets are wide and smooth, with not too many stop lights (which are timed so if you hold the typical 45mph speed limit, you'll tend to motor through mainly green lights).

Driving in NYC is a continual series of defensive maneuvers, traffic lights a stones throw apart, double-parked delivery trucks, deranged taxi drivers, etc. I'd say 10-11mpg is about all I'd ever expect to get there in an MDX.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Take your MDX on a road trip away from the city and see what you highway MPG looks like. If your MPG improves significantly on the highway it most likely means that your low MPG is due to city driving. If your highway mileage is also low, then you probably have a problem.

·
Registered
240 Posts
How long are your trips? If they are short, you're not that far below what is normal in my experience. Post tune-up & valve adjustment, I get between 12 and 15 depending on whether I've gone far enough to warm everything up properly (open vs closed loop). Since most of my driving is a 2-mile commute (i.e., in open loop, bad for MPG), my overall average MPG tends to sit in the high 12s.

·
Registered
805 Posts
10-11 for stop and go traffic is about right. In city traffic I get about 13-14, but traffic where I live is certainly no where near NYC. Also, that is with a recent valve adjustments, new plugs, new air filter, new O2 sensors, ... the works!

I have three MDX and they are all doing the same. As an experiment, on one of the cars I took out the rear differential to lighten it (that thing weighs a ton!), removed the propeller shaft going to the rear differential, essentially making it a FWD vehicle. There was really no difference in the drive since I live in SoCal where there is no snow, but the mpg did bump up about 1mpg or so, which is really not worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I live in Brooklyn, NY. ****s insane, when I'm on the highway my MPG increases. Last time I reset my trip computer I got around 23 highway I think.

I haven't gotten a valve adjustment yet.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am also unsatisfied in the car's mpg. I have an '04 with 85,000 miles on it. My trip computer says im getting about 14 MPG with almost no highway driving. I have not been able to see the results of using Premium gas because i only filled it up to half a tank and the car was always filled up with regular. Im going to try a fuel system cleaner and using mobil 1 synthetic fuel saver oil, it looks promising! Spark plugs arent due until 105,000 miles so im waiting

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am also unsatisfied in the car's mpg. I have an '04 with 85,000 miles on it. My trip computer says im getting about 14 MPG with almost no highway driving. I have not been able to see the results of using Premium gas because i only filled it up to half a tank and the car was always filled up with regular. Im going to try a fuel system cleaner and using mobil 1 synthetic fuel saver oil, it looks promising! Spark plugs arent due until 105,000 miles so im waiting
I used gumout and then chevron techron, did nothing. If anything I feel like it made it worse. Before I used to fill up every 13-14 days, now I'm filling up every 9-10 days.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got the valve adjustment last February but i still only get 14-15 in the city. I'm getting 20-21 on highway. I've tried all of the other things as well...chevron, good gas, easy driving...it doesnt matter much. It's much worse in the winter for sure.

i would love to get something with better mileage but with gas prices below $3/gal it doesnt make sense.
2004 MDX Touring with 149,000 miles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts