Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone I really like the look of this cool accessory, however $300 (Tim's Price, which I know is much cheaper than the dealer) seems extremely high for a piece of plastic so small. Is there something special about the manufacturing process of making the rear air deflector?
For example, look at the running boards they are much bigger and heavier, probably made of the same plactic, and only cost about $400.

·
Registered
522 Posts
It'a all about what they think people will pay. There is nothing special about it at all and it likely cost about $10 to make... There are HUGE profits in accessories.

gokings55 said:
Hello Everyone I really like the look of this cool accessory, however $300 (Tim's Price, which I know is much cheaper than the dealer) seems extremely high for a piece of plastic so small. Is there something special about the manufacturing process of making the rear air deflector?
For example, look at the running boards they are much bigger and heavier, probably made of the same plactic, and only cost about $400.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Can't answer your question but I may add something similar like a faucet made of chrome for $600 bucks in Home Depot. I can't think of anything different and special with it. It still have a gasket? I can get a top of the line PDA for that price range or less.
Or the bike frame for $4K? C'mon.

I can justify an $800 computer...

That's why for accesories if you don't need it, don't buy it.

·
Registered
183 Posts
gokings55

It's not made of plastic, aluminum I think (anodized).

Why complain, if you don't like the price don't buy it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Do you want mine? Its still in the box. I'm in LA too.

·
Registered
681 Posts
That is what happened in a free economy when there is no competition :rolleyes: :D :( :mad:

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
It's for the best

If the air deflector was cheap then everybody would have one and there would be nothing unique or special about it. People would be creating forums about how they removed it with dental floss or painted it orange because they think it makes the suv look more "symetrical." Others will complain that they want the deflector to be expensive because they don't know what they want. Acura is a business and it must do what is best financially for themselves in order to thrive.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It is worth $300 to me the way it keeps the crap off of the rear
window. In addition, the black deflector looks great with SS
and carries through the look of the roof top carriers. So simple
to install too!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
really simple?

CIC53 said:
It is worth $300 to me the way it keeps the crap off of the rear
window. In addition, the black deflector looks great with SS
and carries through the look of the roof top carriers. So simple
to install too!!
CIC53...

I will take delivery on my '02 next week and would like the add the rear deflector... is it really simple to install? no drilling?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Wexy99,

Installing the tailgate deflector requires drilling four holes on the tailgate. It is not hard at all, just the gut to drill holes on the X. Others in this forum had done it themselves. Here is the URL for the installation instructions, courtesy of Tim at Hondacuraworld.com:

http://www.hondacuraworld.com/instructions/mdx/TailgateDeflector.pdf

Another decision is whether to color match or just plain flat black :D

Good lucks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
rear deflector pictures and installation info

wexy99,

Use the search to go to posts dated 1-07-01 by ghost showing
great pictures, installation tips and detail.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Thanks for your comments - just click on the Ghost's SS link in my signature file, the tailgate pictures are about halfway down.

There is drilling involved, but it's not as bad as it sounds - the place to drill are well marked, and the whole deal is covered over by the deflector.

I would advise against doing the drilling until you have the deflector in hand though! :)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
ghost said:
...There is drilling involved, but it's not as bad as it sounds - the place to drill are well marked, and the whole deal is covered over by the deflector...:)
Drilling holes breaks paint ergo rust protection. You mentioned the deflector covers the holes but with what? Bare metal, plastic or is there some type of gasket. Don't know if they salt the roads up in the tundra but they do down hear in the more temperate climates! Salt promotes rust thus my concern. Also, how well does the deflector reduce winter road dirt on the rear windshield? The rear washer is squirt challenged so if this thing keeps some of the junk off it might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
After drilling you use touchup paint, then wax, to protect the exposed metal from the drilling...

I found the install VERY easy, despite initial reluctance to start drilling. Ghost's tips were instrumental. In addition to Ghost's link in his sig, here's a cut-n-paste from a post I made awhile back:

It sounds scarier than it is. The instructions posted before in the Accessories forum were good. Here are some of my notes:

Wash and WAX the metal @ the top of the tailgate before starting.

DEFINITELY use a center punch to slightly indent the markings on the inside of the tailgate so they are CONCAVE; that way the drill bit won't slip. I used a 1/8" to get the holes started and a 5/16" for the final -- no problems. I was concerned about drilling straight, but the sheet metal is only 1/8" thick so it isn't hard (and there is sufficient play with the nuts/bolts anyway).

DRILL ON THE HIGHEST SPEED from the inside, BUT WITH LIGHT PRESSURE. This will minimize paint chipping and hanging metal scrap (rough edges) when you pop through the exterior.

Use a needle file to bevel the rough edges.

YOU MUST HAVE TOUCHUP PAINT to repaint the bare metal and inevitable chipping that occurs around the holes you're drilling. I used 3 coats, waiting 5-10 min betw coats (it was 65 degrees and sunny).

REWAX around the holes. I also put wax IN the holes and also on the INSIDE of the tailgate around the holes, just to be safe.

The rest is easy.

It took me about an hour, including the prep, drilling, paint, wax and install. Could do it in 30 minutes next time.
Here are some related threads:
http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=564
http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=421
http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=521

·
Registered
73 Posts
Worm, Ghosts suggestions were great!

Two additional thoughts:

1) BUY A NEW DRILL BIT! Don't scrimp. You need it to cut cleanly and quickly, without undue pressure, heat or tearing. AMHIK....

2) Taping (masking tape is usually ok) over the area where the hole is to be drilled sometimes reduces teh amount of paint flaking off from around the hole. But be sure to re-wax, and then apply the little foam washers they give you.

Other than that, follow Ghosts suggestions and you'll be fine.

I have to admit, however, that it is a little traumatic when you start drilling the first hole. I had my wife out there watching. I went ahead and drilled the first hole like I was not concerned, and there was no question but that I would do it perfectly. She was petrified. I was too, but I didn't want her to know that............

Dean

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
DBirch said:
Worm, Ghosts suggestions were great!

I have to admit, however, that it is a little traumatic when you start drilling the first hole. I had my wife out there watching. I went ahead and drilled the first hole like I was not concerned, and there was no question but that I would do it perfectly. She was petrified. I was too, but I didn't want her to know that............

Dean
This is just like life - you have to make like you know what you're doing! :D:D:D

·
Registered
925 Posts
ghost said:

This is just like life - you have to make like you know what you're doing! :D:D:D
Or Get DMor to do it for you! :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does the Rear Air Deflector really work?

Does the rear air deflector help at all to keep the rear window and tailgate clean? Or is it just for show?

My Mahogany MDX normally doesn't show the dirt/dust too bad, except the rear.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
18 Participants
mdxcoop
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing