Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
I just put new tires on my 2020 Tech - Firestone/Tirerack. It drove straight as an arrow with OEM tires, now it pulls to the right so I have an apt for an alignment on Monday. When I picked it up, the right tire was all dirty (as in real dirt) with scuff marks that looked like curb scuffs or similar. It didn't even look like a new tire.
Sounds like the new tires to me or perhaps what the installer did?
You stated it “drove straight as an arrow with the OEM tires”. Now with new tires it needs an alignment? Sounds strange to me. I’m not saying the recent tire installer did anything, but new tires and now you have an alignment issue?? Sorry, that should not happen.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sounds like the new tires to me or perhaps what the installer did?
You stated it “drove straight as an arrow with the OEM tires”. Now with new tires it needs an alignment? Sounds strange to me. I’m not saying the recent tire installer did anything, but new tires and now you have an alignment issue?? Sorry, that should not happen.
Agree. I'll have it at the dealer tomorrow for alignment, and let the journey begin.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Agree. I'll have it at the dealer tomorrow for alignment, and let the journey begin.

Update: I had my alignment done at Acura this morning. Guess what, it still pulls to the right. Alignment was fine except for some minor changes they had to make in the right rear. Tirerack is sending me a new tire to see if it resolves the issue. And the drama continues. o_O

But as previously mentioned, when I got my car back after installation of 4 "new" tires, the right front and rear looked almost used....the right front particularly was completely dirty and scuffed so I may have received something not up to snuff, which would then point back to Tirerack. This time the new tire is coming to my home so at least I can see what I'm getting. Never had an issue with Tirerack and they seem more than willing to help so we'll see.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Even hitting most potholes won't usually mess up an alignment - there needs to be actual damage done to the vehicle for the alignment to be off. All you need to do is look at what needs to be done to change the alignment and it's obvious that the alignment isn't going to change routinely. Now, if one hits a pothole or curb hard enough to damage one of the rubber bushings or worse, bend a component, then it'll need to be re-aligned but it sb done only 'after' the damage is fixed or else the alignment won't work - i.e. if there's too much play in the bushings the alignment won't hold true.

If the vehicle drives straight and then upon a tire change it veers to one side or another it's not an alignment issue - it's an issue with the tires or how they were installed - maybe one of the wheels is loose, or the lugs were tightened unevenly or over-tightened (which happens a lot when a place just uses an air wrench to tighten rather than a torque wrench).

If one tire is heavily scuffed shortly after installing I'd right away pull off that wheel and re-install the wheel since there's a good chance it was installed wrong.

Again - my 2013 MDX has never had an alignment done and it drives straight and true. It has Michelin Premier LTX tires on it.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
One thing with newer Acura's with Acurawatch is you might not realize your alignment is off with LKAS/RDW on. I can't tell if my alignment is off in under 50 mph city driving. I only notice at higher hwy speeds when I set my ACC to 75-85 mph. Some folks complain about the ping-pong effect of using LKAS. It might be Acurawatch compensating for a combo of road conditions, tires with uneven tread wear, and alignment?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Even hitting most potholes won't usually mess up an alignment - there needs to be actual damage done to the vehicle for the alignment to be off. All you need to do is look at what needs to be done to change the alignment and it's obvious that the alignment isn't going to change routinely. Now, if one hits a pothole or curb hard enough to damage one of the rubber bushings or worse, bend a component, then it'll need to be re-aligned but it sb done only 'after' the damage is fixed or else the alignment won't work - i.e. if there's too much play in the bushings the alignment won't hold true.

If the vehicle drives straight and then upon a tire change it veers to one side or another it's not an alignment issue - it's an issue with the tires or how they were installed - maybe one of the wheels is loose, or the lugs were tightened unevenly or over-tightened (which happens a lot when a place just uses an air wrench to tighten rather than a torque wrench).

If one tire is heavily scuffed shortly after installing I'd right away pull off that wheel and re-install the wheel since there's a good chance it was installed wrong.

Again - my 2013 MDX has never had an alignment done and it drives straight and true. It has Michelin Premier LTX tires on it.
Yep, new tire on the way so we'll see one way or the other. I either got a bum tire, or it wasn't properly torqued, or they F'd it up. Hard to blame a installer or a new tire without having all the facts so my hope is the new tire will help determine what issue might be in play. But without question, the DWS Plus tires feel pretty good.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
One thing with newer Acura's with Acurawatch is you might not realize your alignment is off with LKAS/RDW on. I can't tell if my alignment is off in under 50 mph city driving. I only notice at higher hwy speeds when I set my ACC to 75-85 mph. Some folks complain about the ping-pong effect of using LKAS. It might be Acurawatch compensating for a combo of road conditions, tires with uneven tread wear, and alignment?
Anything's possible. I'll turn this off and try tomorrow. I do know the feeling with ping/pong effect with lane assist, but this issue is just a slight vering to the right. I leave the LKAS/RDW on, but keep lane assist off, so I'll turn the lights off completely and see....And by then, I'll have a new tire to test, which I feel be the issue from the onset. This is what it looked like from the installer...Hardly looks like a new tire compared to the left side.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
I'm a big fan on Conti DWS tires for years. I moved to the DWS 06 and will upgrade to the DWS 06 Plus when my 19 MDX and 18 RLX are due. I've noticed every set of DWS tires would wander in the rain groove and be really sensitive with road surfaces the first 500-750 miles. After than, they were perfect to the +50,000 mile mark with regular balance, rotations, and occasional alignment.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'm a big fan on Conti DWS tires for years. I moved to the DWS 06 and will upgrade to the DWS 06 Plus when my 19 MDX and 18 RLX are due. I've noticed every set of DWS tires would wander in the rain groove and be really sensitive with road surfaces the first 500-750 miles. After than, they were perfect to the +50,000 mile mark with regular balance, rotations, and occasional alignment.
I think more people would be on them if they knew how well they performed and felt on the road. And they're innepensive.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
This is what it looked like from the installer...Hardly looks like a new tire compared to the left side.
Wow - the one looks like an old used tire compared to the other that looks new. Even the tread looks already worn a fair bit. I think someone mixed up some tires on this and installed a previously used one (that might have been shipped to them). I'm surprised an installer would've installed that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is something all will find interesting with regard to alignment.
2016 MDX 63,000mi
I hit one of the granite curbs in ATL the 2 weeks ago with the front right. This took a 6 inch chunk from the rim (yep, tire was still holding air even though 5 inches of the tire bead was exposed). Tire was fine.
I replaced the rim and had a 4 wheel alignment completed. RF was out by 3/4". Nothing bent or broken with the suspension.
Drove it for a week and took it back for an alignment check as the MDX was pulling to the right and required a degree or so of left steering to keep it straight down the road. The re-alignment proved no changes and everything was right on. They corrected the problem by swapping the front tires.
I haven't yet figured out how swapping the tires will make such a difference.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Wow - the one looks like an old used tire compared to the other that looks new. Even the tread looks already worn a fair bit. I think someone mixed up some tires on this and installed a previously used one (that might have been shipped to them). I'm surprised an installer would've installed that.
Update: So a new tire was installed on the right front and while the tires ride great, the issue hasn't been resolved. It's a new vehicle, even had the alignment done and it's still an issue. We really don't have any answers at this point other than to go back to OEM tires if I choose and hopefully I would be back to where I was.

The pull isn't apparent really at all when I have my hands on the wheel. It's when I take them off, the car will pull gradually and deliberately to the right every time. The tires feel and work great otherwise. My dealer only suggested that sometimes the other tires on the vehicle could affect one in question, but that would mean 3 new tires to replace the new tires that were installed. I've contacted TireRack to see what they say.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The pull isn't apparent really at all when I have my hands on the wheel. It's when I take them off, the car will pull gradually and deliberately to the right every time.
The OEM Continentals on my MDX caused a very slight pull to one side (can't remember which side) but it wasn't enough to be bothered with and sounds similar to how you describe your situation. I just lived with it till it came time to change tires (which all wore evenly). I switched to Michelin Premier LTX and was almost surprised but there was no longer any pulling to one side at all - it was now perfectly straight and smooth. Clearly, the tires made a difference in how the vehicle tracked in this way. You might want to consider changing the tire brand/model.

Maybe Tire Rack is willing to do a swap out. If not, try Discount Tire, who actually gave me full credit on tires I purchased at competitor Costco once but didn't like after about 15 miles of driving on them and bought the tires I should've bought in the first place. I've been impressed with Discount Tire's customer service.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts