Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a nice looking 911 w/ a nice large shiny rotor, powder coated caliper, and low profile tire, I think it looks nice. The larger brakes require a larger wheel, while it displays the beauty of the mechanics of the vehicle and gives the vehicle a little bit more performance at speeds on curves.

Though when I see a large SUV or truck sporting low profile tires it looks just wrong. It's like a fat hairy guy wearing the outfit pictured on cover of Victory Secret catalog. It just doesn't work together.

The brake size to wheel size seems very odd. You see this huge wheel and a tiny rotor.

-Hostage

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I agree entirely. But, to each his own.

I do have one complaint about your post. Couldn't you come up with a better analogy? The image you describe is down right chilling. :eek:

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
what size tire should i get for a 22" rim?
If this is for a show car, that's great. But for a daily driver MDX, I wouldn't get 22" rims, and it's even worse if you ever take your MDX off road. For one thing, the wheels AND the tires are going to be really expensive. Even worse, though, is that such huge wheels are REALLY susceptible to damage from potholes, rocks, and such. When you get a large diameter wheel, you will need to get a tire size with shorter sidewalls to keep the outer diameter the same as stock. Damaging a wheel when you hit a pothole is going to be a matter of when, not if. And if the damage is severe enough, you're going to have to buy a replacement wheel and tire. That's going to get to be VERY expensive. (But hey, it's your car, and you can do whatever you want! You just may regret that decision.)

·
Registered
239 Posts
got a real answer but was being sarcastic/funny at the same time.

its just that he asked why low profiles on a suv/truck,...its because they have to, there is no way one can install 20s with 70 tires,,,reason for lower profile tire.

the reason i like a bigger rim, is because you get to see more of the rim to enjoy it, yes there is consequences of a rougher ride, bent rims, but im all about looks right now,....i could be satisfied with 20s, but 22s are nice too.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I see a nice looking 911 w/ a nice large shiny rotor, powder coated caliper, and low profile tire, I think it looks nice. The larger brakes require a larger wheel, while it displays the beauty of the mechanics of the vehicle and gives the vehicle a little bit more performance at speeds on curves.

Though when I see a large SUV or truck sporting low profile tires it looks just wrong. It's like a fat hairy guy wearing the outfit pictured on cover of Victory Secret catalog. It just doesn't work together.

The brake size to wheel size seems very odd. You see this huge wheel and a tiny rotor.

-Hostage
How good the set-up looks is determine by the kind,colors of wheels you get plus proper tires and wheels combination; not purely the size of the wheels (IMO). If the look is so ugly why would a-looot of people having it? Take a look at the set-up below from fellow member; it's a 22 inch. I would take those over the DONUTS in a heart beat!

<center>
</center>

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Kinda makes the vehicle a rolling contradiction though. OK so you've got a SUV with more ground clearance that a typical car, and all wheel drive. The MDX is no rock crawler, but it can certainly handle snow, light mud, and sand easily enough.

Put on those big wheels with tires that are practically painted on, and all you're good for now is just pavement. And it had better be smooth pavement at that. Even if you wanted to, it'd be stupid to try and put snow chains on.

Plus with all that extra unsprung weight, you make the brakes, suspension, and bearings work harder. And of course the ride quality gets nice and harsh too.

Personally, if I was going to negate all the off road ability, I wouldnt even have bought an off road capable vehicle in the first place. Those 22's make more sense to me on an Oddyssey minivan.

·
Registered
101 Posts
That's why I have two set of tires. Oem wheels + blizzak tires for winter and after-market wheels + nitto tires for summer. I bought the MDX mainly for winter but if I have to drive it in the summer I want to roll in style.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Kinda makes the vehicle a rolling contradiction though. OK so you've got a SUV with more ground clearance that a typical car, and all wheel drive. The MDX is no rock crawler, but it can certainly handle snow, light mud, and sand easily enough.

Put on those big wheels with tires that are practically painted on, and all you're good for now is just pavement. And it had better be smooth pavement at that. Even if you wanted to, it'd be stupid to try and put snow chains on.

Plus with all that extra unsprung weight, you make the brakes, suspension, and bearings work harder. And of course the ride quality gets nice and harsh too.

Personally, if I was going to negate all the off road ability, I wouldnt even have bought an off road capable vehicle in the first place. Those 22's make more sense to me on an Oddyssey minivan.
Not that I'm a proponent of low profile tires on an SUV, but people buy different vehicles for different reasons. Most people aren't buying SUV's to take them off road. Most people who buy the MDX need the utility, not the off-road capability.

And yes a mini-van has even more utility than the MDX, but aesthetics, image, and the stigma of getting a van come into play too. Buying a car isn't always entirely a motivated by practicality (especially on a forum geared towards enthusiasts), and its pointless to scrutinize the practicality of what someone does to their vehicle. If practicality were all that mattered, we'd all be driving Honda Pilots.

·
Registered
395 Posts

-Hostage
First reason is aesthetics... which is by the way subjective. A Chevy Silverado with 22 inch wheels paired with low profile tires (40 or less aspect ratio) might look good for some but might be somewhat unappealing for some.

It also becomes a problem when people would just slap on a wheel based on it's look, color and design without taking in consideration of it's weight. Most wheels on the market are one piece cast aluminum wheels which is a lot more heavier than your stock wheels. That means your car has more unsprung weight which makes other components work harder which will eventually lead to early wear and tear.

I have 20's on mine and I wouldn't go any bigger than that. I chose a wheels that is lightweight to keep the weight close as possible to stock OEM specifications.

That's one good reason to invest on forged wheels. They sure are expensive but worth every penny:29:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The roads up here in Rochester are a war zone, after every winter they do their best to patch up all those potholes that were non-existent a year before.

My g/f loves driving my car in the winter for it's capabilities, and she isn't a fan of her 17" rims on her Toyota Avalon. She is going to drop down from stock to aftermarket 16" (so long as brakes allow) She has to get new tires after 10k miles on them. I think the mine field of potholes is making her dread her car.

·
Registered
395 Posts
The roads up here in Rochester are a war zone, after every winter they do their best to patch up all those potholes that were non-existent a year before.

My g/f loves driving my car in the winter for it's capabilities, and she isn't a fan of her 17" rims on her Toyota Avalon. She is going to drop down from stock to aftermarket 16" (so long as brakes allow) She has to get new tires after 10k miles on them. I think the mine field of potholes is making her dread her car.
I hear you... New York and New Jersey roads are wheel busters

Your girlfriend might want to consider getting tire hazard warranty from your local tire shop... I got mine for $10 a tire... In any event my tire gets damaged by road debris or potholes it's repaired or replaced free of charge... well worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not that I'm a proponent of low profile tires on an SUV, but people buy different vehicles for different reasons. Most people aren't buying SUV's to take them off road. Most people who buy the MDX need the utility, not the off-road capability.

And yes a mini-van has even more utility than the MDX, but aesthetics, image, and the stigma of getting a van come into play too. Buying a car isn't always entirely a motivated by practicality (especially on a forum geared towards enthusiasts), and its pointless to scrutinize the practicality of what someone does to their vehicle. If practicality were all that mattered, we'd all be driving Honda Pilots.
I have to give credit to your point for Honda Pilots, but min-van doesn't do it for me. I like the ground clearance and AWD. The ground clearance helps me get out of the driveway when we get 8" of snow dumped on us overnight and the AWD helps at the boat ramp and prevents me from getting stuck. When it snows like that my g/f takes my MDX and I stay home and work "remotely" on my computer. Else I would have to shovel the driveway:28:

The reason I went with the MDX was for the added features, I love my bluetooth and I wanted a fun car. Plus I like black/black, which I didn't see any pilots like that I also found this one for cheap with low miles and great maintenance records. So far I put 50% more miles than what was originally on it when I bought it last year.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hear you... New York and New Jersey roads are wheel busters

Your girlfriend might want to consider getting wheel hazard warranty from your local tire shop... I got mine for $10 a tire... In any event my tire gets damaged by road debris or potholes it's repaired or replaced free of charge... well worth it in my opinion.
This is what they said about 2 of the tires, "Rear Tires are chopped high and low spots", I could have sworn my g/f had her tires rotated, but only 10k on tires is surprising. I wonder if her car needs another alignment. We had one done not to long ago.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I know this all too well. So do the manufacturers. This is why the majority of Cadillac Escaldes sold come with the 22" wheel option instead of the smoother riding (a little irony there being that it's a Cadillac) 18" wheels that are standard equipment. Or 20's on Range Rovers, X5s, and even the mass market Chevy Tahoe.

It's also why the MDX switched the the Michelin Latitude Tour HP (or Bridgestone Dueler H/L400) from the Michelin Cross Terrain SUV on the 1st generation model. The Latitude is a much better tire for on road use than the old Cross Terrain, but the Cross Terrain is waaaaaay better off road.

My g/f just bought a new SUV recently and I talked her out of the all wheel drive model because A: she wanted the 20" wheel option and B: I know she'll never take it off road. Why spend the extra money to tack on more weight and get less gas mileage? If we ever need something for the snow, I can just borrow a MDX/ZDX from my loaner fleet.

·
Registered
101 Posts
:p Since 99 percent of MDX's are using the stock wheels, your logic requires one to conclude that 99 percent of MDX owners think it's ugly! :p

I just wonder, how did you come up with this number???:confused:

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
I just wonder, how did you come up with this number???:confused:
Counting! All you have to do is walk around and count how many MDXs you see on the street and in parking lots have stock wheels, and how many have aftermarket wheels. There are very, very few of the latter, I've found. I see dozens of MDXs a day, and I often go a whole week or longer without seeing any with aftermarket wheels. Try it!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Where do you walk, in an Acura lot? I don't think I've ever seen a dozen MDX's in a month other than when I bring mine into the dealer. :D
I see well over a dozen MDX's in a given week.

In fact, I'm on of 3 2nd gens that regularly park on the 7th floor of my garage at work.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts