Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While coupon searching for my dad's POS's upcoming service, I happen to find this golden gem.

Rectangle Font Parallel Magenta Brand

This gave me a thought of, if dealers are willing to go this low for an OC, what is the point of doing an OC DIY in your own garage other than the satisfaction of doing the job correctly. Although this coupon states good for 5w-30 oil, a 5 qrt jug of 5w30 at Walmart is like $20 on rollback; $22 for 0w-20 oil. Add an filter and your DIY cost is $30 right out the door just for these two alone.

But like from a business standpoint, if a dealer sells 5 qrts at $9.99, how much loss OR profit are they taking?

·
Registered
1 Posts
the $20 oil you are talking about from Walmart is full synthetic... this $9.95 special uses regular oil & only for Nissan vehicles only. I imagine they are using this as a promo for you to drive your parents Nissan to their dealership and hope that you would trade your car for a newer Nissan.

·
Super Moderator
2,283 Posts
Don't worry, you will hear from SA that your car needs x number of services/repairs, which cost $$$. Unless it is still under warranty.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
They get you in with the cheap oil change, and then try to sell you another car, or these days try to buy yours.

·
Registered
529 Posts
…. Don’t forget the ”free” multipoint inspection which is really just their excuse to dig through your car find a bunch more services to recommend. Honestly if you’re fairly clueless about cars it maybe a decent plan and just do what they suggest, but frequently it’s over the top.

Also, my Honda dealer does very reasonable oil changes too. The problem is my time. It takes me 30 minutes to change the oil myself and the oil and filters get delivered to my door. Every few years I dump the oil at the autozone 5 minutes away. If I go to my dealer, it’s 30 minutes drive each way plus typically a 1 hour wait. Frankly it’s just faster and easier for me to do it even if the cost is the same.

·
Registered
2018 Acura MDX SH-AWD Tech
191 Posts
Sounds like a great way to leave with a problem you didn’t arrive with. Would you let someone you don’t know work on your car for free? For $5? For $10? You might just get almost what you paid for.

Besides, changing your own oil and rotating your own tires is a great way to inspect your own car. I need to do my coupe this weekend.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was about to use that coupon at the rip-off stealership near to my Honda dealer (a whole new thread about that, later). But damn, I am good at negotiating prices for service. Took the Rogue in because its battery kicked the can at 18,937 miles, and got me an Mobil 1 Super Synthetic 0w-20 5 qrts including labor for $25. Granted the master tech was doing a bunch of warranty work on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts