Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what makes a claybar a "good" claybar?

My claybars from Zaino, cost $17.00, and look and feel exactly like the bars of molding clay that I bought (for just a few bucks), for my daughter when she was three years old.

Is the clay that is sold as a claybar, processed in some expensive way? Is the clay a certain kind of rare clay? What are the properties of a "good" clay for auto detaling? :confused:

Bobby

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
I wondered the same thing myself. My car's 12 years old, and I couldn't extract a thing out of the finish, no matter how hard I tried.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let hear from the Zaino experts..

Maybe the Zaino Distributors on this website know why the Zaino Claybars are worth the extra dollars.

I hope they post on this thread.

Bobby

·
Registered
285 Posts
i'm thinking about that question too.... i'm almost ready to place the order for a set of zaino product, but i think i'm only going to do the wash (with dawn), then Z1, then alternating Z2 and Z5, maybe finishing up with Z6, but no more....

since we've only had the X for less than a month, and we haven't been driving it in rainy days, it looks pretty clean to me, that's why i'm skipping the claybar part...

i am not sure however, how many bottles of z1,2,5, or z6 should i order? any thoughts on that?

thanks...

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I have heard new cars can have rail dust from transportation, etc.

On Crank & Chrome (cable/SAT) a Meguairs guy got some crap off a car's finish when doing the clay.

But this car had an oxidized finish and was at least 5 years old. So it's hard to say. I have not heard about how much the clay is really removing junk from new cars.

But I got the clay, and will likely use it anyway and see what happens. I guess it's good at removing sap, bugs, and bird droppings even if think you washed them all off.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
clay bars

I have not used Zaino clay bars, but I have used Mother's & Mequirs.

I think the Mothers were on sale at a CarQuest dealer. The Mequirs were around $14.

I do think that they have a very very small amount of very fine abrasive in the "clay cushion" (more like a brick until it warms up from hand or rest on sunny windowsill).

I used the claybars on painted surfaces and 'chrome' alumimun/plastic trim. Very time consuming, but they did 'erase' stains that would not have some out without over polishing the trim.

I think the formulae of each is a bit different, some are stretchier others more 'brittle'. I did use the Meguirs spray stuff (no doubt inspired by Zaino, and about same price) and think that it helps.

On a real new car there are few 'surface flaws' to remove, but if you are gonna get off to good start you might as well get the 'base' as perfect as possible.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't mean for this thread to be about whether or not claybars are effective. I'm convinced they are.

I just want to know WHAT is in a $20. claybar, that makes it different from a 99 cent piece of molding clay from a childrens' craft store? Is the clay for auto detailing processed somehow, or have special additives?

If anyone here can post what ingredients, type of clay, or manufacturing process makes a great claybar, then it will be easier for all of us to choose which claybars to buy. So, once again, I call on the salesmen on the web site: if you sell claybars, can you find out from your manufacturers what raises their claybars above all others?

Thanks,

Bobby

·
Registered
58 Posts
jj_mdx said:
i'm thinking about that question too.... i'm almost ready to place the order for a set of zaino product, but i think i'm only going to do the wash (with dawn), then Z1, then alternating Z2 and Z5, maybe finishing up with Z6, but no more....

since we've only had the X for less than a month, and we haven't been driving it in rainy days, it looks pretty clean to me, that's why i'm skipping the claybar part...

i am not sure however, how many bottles of z1,2,5, or z6 should i order? any thoughts on that?

thanks...

MDX was 2 months old and I clay barred it and I was amazed at how much stuff came off. Would advise on using it before your Zaino. Just my 2 cents. Good Luck:)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Hmmmmm....

Camper's remark makes me think twice....

i think i will go with the claybar then...

thanks...

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'll step up . . . and state honestly that I do not know what makes them different from each other. I do know there have been, and are differences between brands.

I will endeavour to find out what makes car clay different from silly putty - and each other.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts