Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know who the OEM is for the MDX audio system - Just the head unit (not including the speakers)?

I heard that the speakers in the Premium are made by Alpine and I know that the Touring/Touring+Nav are made by Bose.

I was wondering if the touring audio unit is better than the premium other than the fact that the former comes with in dash CD-changer. Any comments?

cheers
MDroX :1:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I haven't heard the system in the premium model, but Bose does everything in the touring. Its pretty much junk. The sound system is my only major complaint about the MDX. Although I will leave the head unit in, I plan on upgrading the speakers.

Although, in Acura's defense, pretty much every stock audio system I have ever heard is poor. I don't need or want huge thumping bass in my car system, but I would like to be able to listen to tight, accurate sound. I don't know why so many luxury car manufacturers force you to listen to crap Bose systems after you have spent so much money on a nice car.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just an observation -
Have you noticed "Sound by Bose" in 2003 where as in the earlier models its just "Bose"?

I agree that Bose is an overrated brand. For my home theater, I have tried the pricey Lifestyle speakers but finally settled for Energy Encore which are not as pricey but are way better than Bose. I'm glad I didn't fall for the Bose crap for my MDX.

Mark Levinson audio system is the best stock audio system that I've heard so far.

·
Registered
15 Posts
MDrox, I had not noticed the difference from "Bose" to "Sound by Bose". I wonder if there is a bigger story here.

Nice choice on the Energy system. I am sure it has to BLOW away the Lifestyle. I've not heard those personally, but I know a lot of people recommend the TAKE system as a starter HT system.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
I don't believe the head unit is make by BOSE. But I do believe speakers are. WHY/HOW? My 93 maxima's BOSE head unit is broken, I sent email to BOSE to find out if anywhere i could get the repair. The replied I got back was "the head unit is made by xxxxx [I forgot the brand name], you could try to repair it by "some" audio repair stores. We do not carry those items anymore"

Bose might not be the best audio system, but with its size [small, compact], I think it produces GOOD sounds.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Do a search...

The speakers were OEM by the "business to business" divison of Alpine. And darned junky compared to anything you'd find at retail for with an Alpine logo on it...

Same thing goes for the radio... THEY may have switched the source for 03's but it is probably from the same aprent company of Alpine, part of the "honda worlds"...

The hardware for the the Nav system was manufcatured by Alpine. At least it WAS in 01-02... MAJOR difference in features/software compare to the RETAIL Alpine Nav, this time MUCH in favor of the Acura/Honda unit...

Bose does NOT manufacture the in-car audio they way they make $500 boomboxes... :rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts