Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

921 - 940 of 940 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts

Hit the 200 k club on a surf trip to Sebastian Florida in my beloved 2002 MDX has been in our family since about 2005 , I bought it off my mom as a first car in 2012 , it still has original J35a3 engine and despite 2002's reputation , no transmission problems . It does have a oem dealership towing package ATF cooler along with power steering cooler so that could play a big role in durability

I would take this vehicle to any surf break in or out of Florida in a heart beat as long as I have clean ATF / transfer case and clean rear diff fluid .The J35a3 is a complete tank and will run no matter what ...I've heard that they are designed off of the Honda bf 250 outboards ..Would deffinently recommend as a durable vehicle , and defend it no matter what anyone says !!! I love my Mdx

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2005 MDX has just reached the unfortunate point in which it has been deemed too “unsafe” to drive due to the rear axel vibrating the rear of the car oddly once passing speeds of 80 km/h. She runs fine and gets from point A to B but I can’t take any chances with it anymore I’m afraid. On the date of her last parking she officially has 459,762 km (285,682 Miles) . I wish it would be cost effective to simply fix her up “one more time” like always but she’s a little too far gone this time around. Rip Bessie. 1 owner and countless memories.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How many miles do you have on your MDX and what year is it? I did a quick search and didn't see a similiar post...
I recently purchased a 2006 MDX with 219,000 miles on it from the original owner. At 187,000 he spent over $8,000 on it. Oil/filter every 3,000/5,000 miles. Tranny,power steering,brake fluid every 30,000 miles etc etc. Car is from Southern California then Phoenix AZ. Completely rust free. Beautiful. Had to replace the wiring harness in the driver door for the windows to work properly & both front axles. Now it has 223,000 uses no oil & drives great. I only have one issue which is that on light acceleration there is a whistle sound from the engine area which is there constantly. Gets annoying after a while & even turning up the radio it’s still audible. Doesn’t matter if I’m using cruise or not it’s the same sound. Guessing a possible vacuum leak? But not sure. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just bought mine at 215,000. Had a new used engine and all associated goodies as well as brakes and tires done just this year.

Seems like a very solid car. My biggest concern is the transmission. No records to show that it has been fixed, so I have to assume it's original. Looking for warning signs. The shifting seems a bit rough to me, but I drove a few of these and they all seemed a bit rough. Maybe I just don't like how they shift?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just bought mine at 215,000. Had a new used engine and all associated goodies as well as brakes and tires done just this year.

Seems like a very solid car. My biggest concern is the transmission. No records to show that it has been fixed, so I have to assume it's original. Looking for warning signs. The shifting seems a bit rough to me, but I drove a few of these and they all seemed a bit rough. Maybe I just don't like how they shift?
Mines at 223k. I’ve done a handful of transmission flushes, when the shifting gets rough, it helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The engine just got replaced in January of this year, which means so did the tranny fluid, and it looks super clean. You think I should still do a flush?

·
Registered
61 Posts
just hit 230,000 on our 05 tour (no nav). Bought it at 170,000. I've been doing 3x drain-fill on the transmission every 15k miles. Very smooth still. Had cylinder misfire codes on all cylinders just over 200k. I replaced all the coils first, and that didn't solve it, so I did a valve adjustment and it went away. Alternator went out about the same time (original). Easy to replace on this vehicle. AC compressor went out also around 200K miles. I did a full replacement of the system, minus the rear evaporator, and all good. It was quite mushy in turns, and didn't feel as stable as I would like, especially going downhill in curves on interstate sections in the mountains. So the most recent project was replacing front and rear suspension (including the pesky swaybar bushings). New vehicle again!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently purchased a 2006 MDX with 219,000 miles on it from the original owner. At 187,000 he spent over $8,000 on it. Oil/filter every 3,000/5,000 miles. Tranny,power steering,brake fluid every 30,000 miles etc etc. Car is from Southern California then Phoenix AZ. Completely rust free. Beautiful. Had to replace the wiring harness in the driver door for the windows to work properly & both front axles. Now it has 223,000 uses no oil & drives great. I only have one issue which is that on light acceleration there is a whistle sound from the engine area which is there constantly. Gets annoying after a while & even turning up the radio it’s still audible. Doesn’t matter if I’m using cruise or not it’s the same sound. Guessing a possible vacuum leak? But not sure. Any suggestions?
I have an 05 with this same issue. Tried the spraying soap and water trick on it the other day but no luck finding anything. Mines not super loud but it’s definitely annoying.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 2006 had 410,000 miles when I sold it and bought my 2015. Ran great never touched the motor or transmission except regular service. I have 160,000 on the 2015.

921 - 940 of 940 Posts