Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

841 - 860 of 882 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I checked to see how much parts will cost, and to my surprise, parts totaled just over $200. I can't justify pay over $1400 in labor cost alone...these dealerships are ridiculous with these labor costs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a separate thread on this board about it. I did a leakdown test and did not find anything. So I decided to replace the radiator first and then do a CO2 test. It cost me about $500 in parts (all hoses, thermostat, temp sender, Honda radiator fluid) and now everything is running fine. I've driven up the Camarillo grade at over 100* outside with the AC going and I got no heat problems. More importantly, no CO2 is showing in the test.

I now think the dealer was completely lying or totally incompetent. Now that I've done the CO2 test, I can't remotely see how they could do the test with a cracked, empty radiator.

Here's to another 100,000 miles!

·
Registered
68 Posts
198K on a 2004 MDX with original engine and rebuilt transmission thanks to an amateur move with the transmission fluid change!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Exactly !! They can't do a co2 on a empty radiator . That's your first clue that there just trying to rob you !Glad your catching on to there game for future problems ! They probably seen a over heating reliable MDX and felt the need to just throw it in the back
Without checking it and just tell you that your head gasket is blown so you can trade for a less reliable brand new Honda/Acura and a bunch of payments.....never bother with the dealer unless it's absolutely must is my opinion
I have a separate thread on this board about it. I did a leakdown test and did not find anything. So I decided to replace the radiator first and then do a CO2 test. It cost me about $500 in parts (all hoses, thermostat, temp sender, Honda radiator fluid) and now everything is running fine. I've driven up the Camarillo grade at over 100* outside with the AC going and I got no heat problems. More importantly, no CO2 is showing in the test.

I now think the dealer was completely lying or totally incompetent. Now that I've done the CO2 test, I can't remotely see how they could do the test with a cracked, empty radiator.

198K on a 2004 MDX with original engine and rebuilt transmission thanks to an amateur move with the transmission fluid change!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Glad your MDX is fine though !! Don't just expect a 100k miles expect another 200k-300k as this high mileage forum isn't a good measure of the MDX durability ......think I'm lying CHECK OUT THIS NEAR MILLION MILE MDX... ecspecially 2001-2002 j35a3 seeing as there's Litterally no reported head gasket or internal failures reported on the first two years of MDX ...........https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/thedrive/the-hammer/8749/acura-mdx-with-a-jaw-dropping-946252-miles-the-drives-daily-mileage-champion?source=dam

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2001 has just over 300K. Lost the power steering over the past weekend. It has a few blemishes, drivers seat cushion leather ripped, passenger side second row seat doesn't like to collapse flat.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just picked up a 2005 MDX Touring with 131K a few days back...so hopefully i have many many many more years of driving it seeing some of the numbers in this thread ;) (I only drive like 8,000 miles a year)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our ‘05 had a torque converter fail at 160K. Had a leak from the trans. cooler that was not visible externally. Swapped the trans. and TC with a used unit. We now have over 210K with no other issues. This is NOT a repair that the average DIY’er would want to undertake so it would be inherently\prohibitivly expensive! As. It was, it cost me about $1100 and I am a master mechanic with my own facilities! Other than that the vehicle has given outstanding service and is a dream to drive!

·
Registered
1 Posts
305K original engine and trans

I bought my 04 off my brother a few years ago with about 160K on it. It currently has 305K on it with the original engine trans and a/c compressor. I have changed the front cv joints and adjusted the valves myself. Great car. Maybe finally experiencing a transmission slip around 4th and 5th but I might try changing bathe solenoids.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I finally joined the 300,000 mile club a few weeks back. Original owner of a 2004 MDX. I'm looking forward to another 100K+ miles. My biggest concern is the rust that is starting to spread on the rear fenders and on the rear hatch (near the license plate). The same week that I hit 300K, I needed to replace two wheel bearings and two motor mounts (~$1600 at the shop). Next major repair should be the 3rd timing belt replacement in about 20,000 miles. These are truly amazing vehicles.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 04 MDX is about to turn 290k in about a week. Original engine and trans. I have owned it since 2010 with 78k. Last year had all the motor mounts, AF sensors, catalytic converters replaced. Had been getting a CEL over the last year for an air intake vacuum leak, so I replaced several sensors. MAF, Intake temp, trottle temp, PVC. It went away for awhile. Now getting multiple codes with CEL, and VTM lights on. I'm looking at possible issues with the throttle body control module being dirty or having to replace or getting valve adjustments. At the last timing belt change (218k), the shop told me the valves looked good. That was two years ago. Others major items replaced have been struts/shocks, power steering pressure hose.

Looking forward to another 100k. She runs and handles great at 14 years old. Still doesn't burn much old. Been putting synthetic oil in the engine since I've owned it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A lot

246,746 and she still don't burn much oil. Runs strong but dealing with issues right now. Hence my signing up. I think it is valve adjustments but have catalytic and EGR suspicions. Hope I can learn to navigate this place well and not ask dumb questions that have been fielded a zillion times. Be patient, me and you folks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
226,000. Bought 2005 MDX Touring w/nav yesterday from private party for $4200. Needs valve adjust and drivers seat bottom replaced. Other then that, road tested fine. As a retired Senior, I average about 8,000 miles a year. Hope to see 300,000 on the odometer w/routine maintenance. Glad I found you guys.

841 - 860 of 882 Posts
About this Discussion
881 Replies
502 Participants
JBIII
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing