Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 2020 adv with the black pearl and can already tell Colorado winters are gonna cause a beating on the paint. Clear bra was done at delivery, but I’ve been looking into ceramic coating as another layer of protection.

It’s expensive and just wanted to know from others, is it worth it? What are you doing to keep the paint decent and imperfections to a minimum? Am I worrying too much and just stick with normal waxing?

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I did Suntek Ultra PPF and CQuartz finest on my 19 MDX with Fathom Blue Pearl last summer. I also did Ceramic Pro on the outside glass, gloss black Berlina 20" rims, and interior surfaces. I wanted to try Ceramic Pro on the interior to see if it will protect like oil based conditioners; but, wouldn't cause window fog with summer heat (so far, inside window fog was at a minimal last summer). You can put ceramic coating on top of PPF. I've noticed it either wore off the PPF or the PPF/Ceramic combo isn't as hydrophobic as the ceramic coating alone on the painted surfaces.

The advantage with Ceramic coating is the color correction first and the Ceramic coating sealing in the brilliant shine afterwards. You have a complete shell around your car from winter road muck, bugs, tar, acid rain, hard water, and bird droppings. Another plus is you don't have to wax (actually, you can't wax ceramic coating). The BIGGEST downside to Ceramic coating is it take a lot effort to maintain because you can scratch the coating just like clear coat if you don't hand wash with ceramic booster soaps, use the two bucket method with microfiber, and dry with microfiber (only touch-less car washes, anything other than microfiber will scratch ceramic coating). You can never spot clean spots without using a ceramic lubricant with a ceramic coating cleaner because it will scratch. I have a small spray bottle and microfiber in the hatch I can use to spot clean areas like bird droppings.

CQuartz Finest in ABQ only offered a 3 year warranty; but, it can last 2X or longer if you take proper care of washing. Ceramic Pro offered 2yr, 3yr, or lifetime coatings depending on the amount of layers you want (I had to drive +60 miles to Santa Fe for Ceramic Pro installer). Most of cost is in the prep and color correction work. Cheaper the cost if fairly new with minimal swirl marks. Both Ceramic Pro and CQuatz Finest can be registered and your insurance can replace the ceramic coating in an accident; but, you have to double-check your insurance (USAA and State Farm will replace if you have receipts).

It was worth it to me to go with the ceramic coating to save me time washing, protect in the southwest sometimes extreme weather and driving conditions, and locking in the brilliant color for years.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts