Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for information on how to replace it. Not sure if I need to replace it ASAP but I would to have information handy when the time comes.

What would it costs to have the dealer replace it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I did mine when i did the 105K timing belt service that way I didn't have to dump coolant twice. Not that hard to do, just be sure to take your time and use honda type 2 coolant prediluted.

dealer is going to be very expensive and they may want you to do new hoses for the cooling system and other items.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I did mine when i did the 105K timing belt service that way I didn't have to dump coolant twice. Not that hard to do, just be sure to take your time and use honda type 2 coolant prediluted.

dealer is going to be very expensive and they may want you to do new hoses for the cooling system and other items.
Ok. Thank for the reply. I smelled coolant a few days ago then I noticed some coolant lost on the reservoir and noticed a little wet of coolant at the bottom of the radiator. I don’t see it dripping or anything like that. I have a hunch it has a very slow leak somewhere and I can’t seem to locate it. The top hose connection looks dry. I will probably jack up the car and look underneath.

Have a few questions for you:

1. What year is your MDX? Mine is 2011.
2. Can it be done without help from a second person?
3. You ordered the radiator from Acura dealer online?
4. How many gallons of Honda type 2 coolant needed?
5. What are the additional parts needed besides radiator?
6. Approximately how many hours to get the job done?

Thank you!

·
Registered
2008 MDX Tech+Power Tail Gate, Sterling Gray
597 Posts
For easier detection, add UV dye to the coolant and after few days, use UV flash light to locate the leak point. I used it in my BMW to detect a small leak and found it on the coolant lines to the turbo.
Automotive lighting Purple Water Fluid Violet

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For easier detection, add UV dye to the coolant and after few days, use UV flash light to locate the leak point. I used it in my BMW to detect a small leak and found it on the coolant lines to the turbo. View attachment 118608
Ok thanks for the technique. I will give if I keep losing large amount of coolant.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For easier detection, add UV dye to the coolant and after few days, use UV flash light to locate the leak point. I used it in my BMW to detect a small leak and found it on the coolant lines to the turbo. View attachment 118608
How much UV DYE added to the coolant. Does the DYE disappear after a few weeks/months?

·
Registered
2008 MDX Tech+Power Tail Gate, Sterling Gray
597 Posts
How much UV DYE added to the coolant. Does the DYE disappear after a few weeks/months?

It is a small bottle you get at AZ, probably 2 oz or less. One full bottle to dye the whole system. I would expect the dye does not go away with time until flushing the system. This dye it for coolant. Do not get the dye for A/C.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CS

Did you removed the front bumper and under plastic cover when you replaced your radiator?

Skirmish had a thread on his radiator replacement but his MDX is 2007 and I am not sure it is very similar to 2011 MDX.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Ok. Thank for the reply. I smelled coolant a few days ago then I noticed some coolant lost on the reservoir and noticed a little wet of coolant at the bottom of the radiator. I don’t see it dripping or anything like that. I have a hunch it has a very slow leak somewhere and I can’t seem to locate it. The top hose connection looks dry. I will probably jack up the car and look underneath.

Have a few questions for you:

1. What year is your MDX? Mine is 2011.
2. Can it be done without help from a second person?
3. You ordered the radiator from Acura dealer online?
4. How many gallons of Honda type 2 coolant needed?
5. What are the additional parts needed besides radiator?
6. Approximately how many hours to get the job done?

Thank you!

I have 2007 MDX. I had a friend at a shop do the 105K service at same time. He did it himself and said he did remove some stuff to get a bit more clearance. He wanted $100 to do it so it wasn't that long, maybe 2 hrs?

He used 3 gallons of the honda type 2 coolant since I had him flush the heater core (front and rear) and use the drain on the rear of the block to get additional coolant out while changing the waterpump.

I got the rad from online either ebay or amazon from denso, it was much cheaper than the dealer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts