Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy that got me my intake just started working on the next project for the MDX. My MDX will be the first to have white, non-glare, textured gauges. I'll have pics of it posted within a month tops. These gauges will just slip over the needles to make installation easier and create less chance of the needles breaking while installing. These gauges will be made for the MDX so all the markings and numbers will be correct. That's all the details I have as of now. I know that I should have the pics posted before talking about it but I'm 99% certian that this will happen.

·
Registered
216 Posts
WHATS THE COST $$$ ...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nice to get a choice

I guess not everything can be a matter of choice, but things like this seem pretty easy to have as small options. Let's you personalize a bit without adding $5000 to the ticket.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the cost will run me much more then that of lets say your generic Civic white indiglo gauge set that run about $65. There is no demand for MDX accessories so I can't spread all the costs over a large quantity.
The gauges will be wired to the stock gauge dimmer. I need some opinions. If any of you had a choice, which would you choose. For night time driving; indiglo, reverse indiglo, or a combo of both? Whatever you choose it won't effect the day time appearance of the gauges, it will still remain white.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Reverse Indiglo

If you are still there, pls give me a hint.... what is reverse indiglo?

Sounds like the eskimo leaving the igloo backwards?

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Re: Reverse Indiglo

vancouver said:
If you are still there, pls give me a hint.... what is reverse indiglo?

Sounds like the eskimo leaving the igloo backwards?
Indiglo is the latest illumination they use in watches. When you press the button the entire dial face is 'bathed' in a blue glow. Soft and not bright since on a watch you would only need it in the dark.

Not sure what the reverse of that would be. If the whole dial is not bathed in light, then the reverse would be....no light at all? I don't know either.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reverse indiglo is what you see on the high end Lexus gauges, for example the LS430. The gauge don't light up just all the numbers and markings in blue or red. Many people regard Lexus as having the best gauges. Indiglo is available in almost any color from white to purple.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I told you it would be done

The gauges are done and look better then I thougt they would. I even got a pair of indiglo turn signal, I have no idea what that will look like. It looks like it is a second pair of turn signals perhaps can be installed outside the gauges. Once I get one of my experienced friends to help me install these and hook up the power I'll post some pics.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
Re: I told you it would be done

manus1980 said:
The gauges are done and look better then I thougt they would. I even got a pair of indiglo turn signal, I have no idea what that will look like. It looks like it is a second pair of turn signals perhaps can be installed outside the gauges. Once I get one of my experienced friends to help me install these and hook up the power I'll post some pics.
Good! I look forward to the pics. :)

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've been just informed by a friend what those two mystery arrows are that I thought were turn signals. They are actually buttons that changes the gauges; reverse indiglo, regular indiglo, and adjust the colors of the indiglo. The buttons themself I believe are indiglo as well so this should be fun. I'll try to have them installed within the next two weeks.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is a chance the TL or CL gauges will fit, but the numbers will be off. The spedometer on those cars go up to 160mph and the rpm range is much higher also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So what was the result of this? What gauges do you have to purchase to convert the dash from black to white...

the orange is so dark at night I would rather the white face....

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe the guages used were from a set of modified aftermarket previous generation V-6 Accord. Here is a photo:

It took a while to get it right but now they are really bright and look much better in my opinion. I can understand how some may not appreciate how it looks but for me it is just what I wanted. The guages are bright enough that cars driving along side some time slow down to take a second look. Just a warning, this project can easily go wrong The needles are fragile. Break a needle and your guage cluster must be replaced and then the mileage displayed will be different from what is stored in the computer.

·
Registered
442 Posts
That looks so cool!

I'm also digging the illuminated brake/gas pedals.

All you need now is an illuminated indiglo Acura logo on the steering wheel (seriously!).

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Already have an illuminated Acura logo where the stock amp use to be located. I think there is enough indiglo in the MDX. All there is left are some minor performance mods and maintenance for now.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
I am confused. You keep saying that you replaced the gauges but then say that you did not change the needles. A "gauge" includes the needles and the drive mechanism to cause the needle to move. the faceplate is the part that shows the calibration of the readout. Did you replace the faceplate or the whole gauge?

G

·
Registered
12 Posts
Don't be confused.....:)

He changed the GAUGE FACE not the mechanical units behind it....

The idea is the gauge cluster comes apart and you pull the needles off slip the new white ones on, wire up them up and re-assemble...

So they are from an accord? What years? Thanks

1 - 20 of 29 Posts