Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a strange problem for a long time now. When I drive (transmission in drive) at very low speed (~ 10 mph) with my window down, I can hear a high pitch/whistleing noise. The noise goes away as I speed up, or at least I don't hear it. It sounds like metal on metal noise.

I took it to the dealer and they thougth maybe it is the break pads. They adjusted the pads (which makes them stick now! but that is another story), and nothing changed. When I coast (neutral) down at that same speed I don't hear it. When I rev the engine while stopped, I don't hear it. So that tells me it is not engine or wheel related. I am hoping it is not Transmission related :-o

I searched here but could not find any similar postings. Have you experienced this? I can only hear it with the window down and if driving near an object that makes me hear the sound reflection. With the weather getting warmer, it is really bothering me now again. I will give the dealer another try but I am not counting much on them since they were clueless the first time, even though they went on a drive with me and heard the noise.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I took the MDX to the dealer and after a few minutes of taking their top mechanic for a ride, he finally heard what I was talking about. He says it is a problem he has seen in other Acuras but not an MDX before.

He said since the noise/whistle is so low that you can only hear it with the windows down and when driving near a fence or a wall which reflects the noise, most people who can not hear the higher pitch sound (I am guessing around 15 KHz) don't notice it. He claims that it is the Throtle which is ever so slightly open and creates a "whistleing" noise at the right angle!

That explanation does support my finding and may be correct. If so I will put that in the same category as rusty wheel brackets (see other posts) and something that embaresses you when someone else discovers it and asks you: "why does your $40K MDX do that?"

·
Registered
3,761 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No. The dealer initially thought it may be the fuel pump noise. But after they heard it they didn't think it was. This noise is like a whistle from a tea kettle, and kind of sounds like the noise if you get a dry leaf stuck in the wheel and it rubs against the brake disc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts