Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my high pressure line was leaking. My wife drives this MDX and didn't think to mention the loud whining while driving and steering. After replacement, I noticed the pump whines much louder than before.

So, I replaced the pump and while I was at it, I flushed the old fluid out (method as per the Acura service manual).

I notice a decent sized whirlpool in the reservoir now (maybe because the fluid is clear now, it's more noticeable?)

At idle it doesn't draw down far enough to let air into the lower line - not sure at higher rpms what happens.

Is this whirlpool normal? Can anyone take a quick peek after removing the cap and let me know?

Thanks.

·
Registered
208 Posts
In mine you can see fluid movement but I'm not sure I'd call it a whirlpool.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Very often the whining is entirely because of air being drawn into the suction side around the (under-designed) O-ring on the reservoir side. You might want to check that - it's a very, very common problem. Also, it can be a little tricky to get the fluid level right (the reservoir is sorta/kinda opaque enough, but still...).

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very often the whining is entirely because of air being drawn into the suction side around the (under-designed) O-ring on the reservoir side. You might want to check that - it's a very, very common problem. Also, it can be a little tricky to get the fluid level right (the reservoir is sorta/kinda opaque enough, but still...).
Thanks. Been there and done that (replaced with orange o-ring). It wasn't whining prior to being run with the fluid low, so I'm assuming my wife driving it for 3 or 4 days with the low fluid level fubar'd the pump.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In mine you can see fluid movement but I'm not sure I'd call it a whirlpool.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thanks. Mine is definitely a swirling whirlpool. Weird. I don't remember it doing this before the flush / pump / hose replace. My TSX doesn't do it either. My 14 MDX I don't think even has power steering fluid.

My only thought is that I used aftermarket fluid that (they claim) is for Asian vehicles, including Honda. Maybe the viscosity is different. I'm going to replace it all with Honda fluid and see if there's a difference.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Mine is spinning but has about a 1/2” diameter swell where the fluid is coming back into the reservoir. It doesn’t look like it’s sucking down like a whirl pool but suppose it can depending on how filled the reservoir is since the suction hose is located near the bottom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts