Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had this baby from day 1, two days ago,started a wine (like a power steering pump sound ) but it dosent change when I turn the wheel???
Thinking might be trans fluid change???
Start up have "whine" in PARK or drive, turning steering wheel makes no difference, thinking maybe trans ??
112k miles runs great, shifts great, mdx gurus please help...........
thanks,
pulleys maybe? can feel inside car, ac makes no difference..............

·
Registered
805 Posts
If it does that in Park or Neutral, it's most likely the power steering O-ring on the inlet side leaking. Look for bubbles in the P/S reservoir.

The O-ring is less than 2 dollars and it's really easy to replace.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Does the whine increase with speed?

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Could be anything that is turned by the engine. I'd suggest using a mechanic's stethoscope (only a few bucks from Harbor Freight) to isolate the source of the noise. Or, you can use a long screwdriver (hold the handle against your ear, and place the tip on the alternator, water pump, etc. - you'll know when you get to the guilty party). I'm betting it's not the power steering since the noise doesn't change at all when you crank the wheel.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fixed!!!

new mdxer hit it on the head, it was the oring, leaking, unfortunately, the Honda dealer gave me the wrong oring, so after visiting acura, the 5 minute job , turned into ten, when I used a turkey baster to suck out old fluid and replace with new,
total for the day 5.75 fr Honda, , and 5.43 ,from acura
Happy camper here, thanks again for all the helpful imput
:29:
u guys ROCK!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts