Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

Which used MDX would you buy?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  wilsel 
I love my 11 MDX and it is my favorite vehicle to drive once I leave the city limits. I put around +17,000 miles per year and gone coast-to-coast in my MDX in the last 3 years. Very comfy vehicle for the open road, decent mpgs of 21-24 depending on the local speed limits (65-80 mph out west), all seats are equally comfortable (excluding 2nd row middle hump seat and kid only 3rd row), 5000lbs tow ready, and sh-awd gives you excellent handling and all weather capabilities.

Inside the city limits, my MDX (would be the same for 07-09 MDX):
- can get 13-15 mpgs in 100% city driving,
- larger blind spots when driving and over the shoulder visibility is limited with large 2nd row headrests
- 3rd row is only good for small kids and difficult to get in/out
- wide vehicle and you will give and get door dings if parking spaces are tight
- back up camera and back up lights are very poor at night
- the ride is very sensitive to tires, balance, alignments, and suspension parts in good working order
- HIDs are just A-OK, had to upgrade to OSRAM to improve light output

The 10-13 MDX oil consumption issue is more miss than hit. It can be as bad as 1 quart per 1000 miles. If you still have your mind set on the +10 MDX, I would find out when it was last serviced and compared the oil level with miles driven. I use about 1 quart of oil between my 8000-8500 mile oil change intervals and it hasn't changed since I purchased the MDX used in 2014 with 30K (108K on odo).

Honda probably sold 5X more Pilots in the same model years compared to MDXs. Depending on needs, you will most likely find a Pilot with less miles, more tech, newer model year, and with more room for kids. You just won't have sh-awd or the sporty/luxury MDX styling.

Reactions: ljbrandt
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.