Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a high mileage, but well kept 2nd gen MDX for kid hauling. I currently have two options:

1. 2011 Base ($8,500)
-194k Clean Georgia title
-Prior ride share vehicle
-One owner, complete service records from Acura dealership. All maintenance done on-time, including trans/diff/TB etc.
-Michelin tires with 75% tread
-Timing belt replaced in '14 at 105k
-Being sold by dealer with 250 mile warranty
-No reported accidents
-Exterior and cosmetics in average condition

2. 2012 Base ($12,500)
-140k Clean Florida Title
-Two owner, prior lease vehicle
-Timing belt/ water pump job completed 2 months ago
-One accident reported for moderate front end damage. Bumper, headlights, hood, radiator, condenser and PS cooler replaced.
-No maintenance records (other than recent TB and brakes)
-Private sale (older gentleman wants smaller vehicle)
-Exterior/cosmetics in good condition
-Nexen tires with 90% tread

I have not driven either vehicle as of yet, but considering these facts, which one would you lean towards purchasing? I like the idea of saving 4k to use for repairs/cleanup on the higher mileage MDX. However, I'm trying to avoid a money pit with engine and trans issues.

Let me know what you think

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Don’t both of those years suffer from high oil consumption? I’d pass on both.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Go '07- '09?
If budget allows, go 14+.

Otherwise I’d go with a Pilot... There’s no shame if budget is tight, and reliability should trump luxury. I’d take a newer Pilot in good condition over an older “luxury” vehicle that’s on its last legs.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I love my 11 MDX and it is my favorite vehicle to drive once I leave the city limits. I put around +17,000 miles per year and gone coast-to-coast in my MDX in the last 3 years. Very comfy vehicle for the open road, decent mpgs of 21-24 depending on the local speed limits (65-80 mph out west), all seats are equally comfortable (excluding 2nd row middle hump seat and kid only 3rd row), 5000lbs tow ready, and sh-awd gives you excellent handling and all weather capabilities.

Inside the city limits, my MDX (would be the same for 07-09 MDX):
- can get 13-15 mpgs in 100% city driving,
- larger blind spots when driving and over the shoulder visibility is limited with large 2nd row headrests
- 3rd row is only good for small kids and difficult to get in/out
- wide vehicle and you will give and get door dings if parking spaces are tight
- back up camera and back up lights are very poor at night
- the ride is very sensitive to tires, balance, alignments, and suspension parts in good working order
- HIDs are just A-OK, had to upgrade to OSRAM to improve light output

The 10-13 MDX oil consumption issue is more miss than hit. It can be as bad as 1 quart per 1000 miles. If you still have your mind set on the +10 MDX, I would find out when it was last serviced and compared the oil level with miles driven. I use about 1 quart of oil between my 8000-8500 mile oil change intervals and it hasn't changed since I purchased the MDX used in 2014 with 30K (108K on odo).

Honda probably sold 5X more Pilots in the same model years compared to MDXs. Depending on needs, you will most likely find a Pilot with less miles, more tech, newer model year, and with more room for kids. You just won't have sh-awd or the sporty/luxury MDX styling.

Reactions: ljbrandt

·
Registered
6 Posts
To me I wouldn't even think about it, the $8500 wins. 250k warranty, all maintenance records plus no accidents?!?! That's a pretty nice deal for a car with 194k miles on it. Plus, if it kicks the bucket in 2-3years you either A, still have a warranty or B, you only spent $8500 and got 2-3 years of use out of it. I personally would stay away from a high priced 140k mile private sale car. I had a good friend purchase a 2009 MDX with 90k miles (obviously no warranty) that was in incredible condition for the mildeage and it was problem after problem until finally the transmission died and he scrapped the thing. It might look nice, drive well and not show any issues but things can be lurking / about to fail. WARRANTY is king in my opinion.

Honda Pilots are obviously nice cars and all but 2015 and older I think they look like pre-historic vehicles (plus you obviously like nicer cars by your current options) and 2016 and newer Pilots are all in high demand / used prices are through the roof.

I'm not sure what their reliability record is like but I'd also compare the MDX to the 2011ish Ford Explorer Limited (limited seems to be the best bang for your buck), I believe that was the first year of the current body style. They are nicely sized, a little more truckish but overall I think Ford has done a good job with them and I think their menu/screen interface during that time period is probably going to be nicer than the MDX and their laughably ugly interface/navigation. They drive pretty nicely, not quite as sport as an MDX but a pretty nice drive.

Overall though if i was buying a car with well over 100k miles that extended warranty from a dealer is pretty nice. You can't expect ANY car to last much longer than that without some major repairs so IMO if you're spending a decent chunk on that car, get a warranty or you'll be like my buddy, scrapping the car a year or so down the road.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Are you in GA? I'm in Atlanta, and have a 2009 MDX with 98k miles, that I was thinking about selling to get a Ridgeline. I really need a truck. It is almost due for the timing belt to be replaced. Has brand new Michelin tires, did the 90k service a few months ago. I've never jad to add oil between changes.It's a base grey with black interior. I'd sell it for $11k, knowing the timing belt and water pump will cost $1000.
If you're interested, let me know and I can send you some pics.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts