Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am getting a 2005 Acura MDX and will be changing all the fluids. Which fluid do I use for the transmission? Acura DW-1? Can I use Honda’s DW-1? Will this be ok in a 2005 Acura? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I use Idemitsu Type H because they manufacture fluid for Honda/Acura. The manual says Acura ATF-Z1, or Honda 08200-9001A.

On the Oddessy and Passport forums Valvoline MaxLife gets excellent reviews with these problem children transmissions. That's all I'd use on it. Though any high quality synthetic ATF would probably be fine.

I also add LubeGard Platinum.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
778 Posts
There are lots and lots of us (here and the Honda Odyssey forum) that use Valvoline Maxlife. Half the cost of Acura or Honda fluid, readily available at Walmart in gallon jugs, full synthetic, and compatible with Acura/Honda fluid. I've used it in my '07 Odyssey for over 100K and at 220K on the transmission still shifts like new.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I use both Acura and Honda DW-1. I usually use the Honda brand bc it’s usually cheaper. Depending on the trans service history you might want to do 3 or even 4, 4 quart drain and refills to get as much new fluid in there as possible.

I also use the Honda VTM and ps fluid for the same cost reason. I use Mobil 1 for oil/filter and Valvoline for the gear case. (I don’t use a lot of factory parts but try the same if I can get the Acura to Honda part number cross reference. They don’t always exist.)

In addition to Lubeguard, you might think about an in-line, 3/8 inch, Magnefine external trans filter. I use the all metal canister version (about $25) because the plastic ones I’ve used have leaked a few times. I leave them on for 25K-30K miles.

If you want to go super conservative, add a trans cooler.

Have fun! Enjoy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts