Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have been Honda product people for some time now and have been trying to decide between purchasing a Honda Pilot or an MDX. We're leaning towards the MDX for more luxury--a little quieter highway ride and prestige. What years would you recommend purchasing? I was told to stay away from the 2001 being the first year and was noisy. We are looking for something in the sub $25,000 range--we've been told to look at 2003-2006. Do any of these years come with HID/Xenon headlamps? We prefer something with HID as we do a TON of night driving. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!! Dave

·
Registered
11,137 Posts
Go with 2003 and up, as the first 2 years had tranny problems. No HID's/Xenon, but there are aftermarket kits available. You can try searching for them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
03 or 04 (20% more HP) Keep in mind, you don't need HID for excellent nigh vision. I replaced all my car's OE headlights, including my MDX w/ Sylvania Night Vision aftermarket replacement headlights - they are incredible and make a very BIG differeice- for less than $40 per headlight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MDX year to purchase--HID

Thank you all for your input. We have Silverstars on our current car and they work great. However since we do A LOT of night time driving on very dark roads, we are considering doing an HID upgrade to whichever vehicle we purchase. Thank you again for your input and time!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Curious on your Honda experience- have you had excellent luck across all car models: civis and accords, etc? Any model to stay away from? We need to buya third family car for my 17 yr old.

Have an 01 MDX and love it...Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Aren't HID(truer HID, not knock offs) kit replacements in the 700-$1200 range for both headlights? Ouch!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honda Cars to Buy

In all honestly I'd stick with the mid-late 90's and into the 2000's Honda Civics and Accords. We have had wonderful luck with our Accords. We have owned a 2000, 2003, and 2005 Accords; 2001 Honda Civic; and a 1989 Honda CRX HF--great on fuel--averaging 45-55 MPG. We have a Honda lawnmower (best we've ever owned), Honda Sportbike (VFR800), Honda ATV and Dirtbike--CRF250X. Obviously a Honda family. If you have further questions, please feel free to ask!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HID aftermarkets

We have friends that have purchased aftermarket HID kits. You can find them online in the $190-$500 range. There are cheap Chinese or Tawainese knock offs. Stick with the Japanese made ones as they are the most reliable. We have installed and aftermarket HID kit in our '05 Accord and it makes night and day difference in our dark road driving. We had Silverstars previously and loved them. But we wanted something with a little more range for our long dark road driving that we do. Our kit was $260 with shipping and we've been very happy with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
We own a 2003. We are very happy with it. I changed all fluids with Redline Oil. Air filters from K&N. Oil filters from WIX. Light bulbs from PIAA. Need a cargo mat,cover, and all weather mats.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts