Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i love, love, love my 2005 mdx but we've been told that the time has come. it has 226k miles on it and it is time for one with some more advanced features since we have a new driver coming up in the next year.
i've heard crazy things about the third generation (and that crazy gigantic logo on the front)... but that might be out of our price range anyway.
i was thinking about a 2011 or 2012 but see that there might have been some oil usage issues.
we were hoping not to spend over $20k.
any advice on year or trim package?
thanks in advance for your help
jpb

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
2007-2009 is the sweet spot hands down the best and successful MDX ever produced.

Do not buy 2010+ - there's a risk of getting one with excessive oil consumption, which the 2007-2009 do not have.

2007-2009 still look contemporary (more than a decade later!), are relatively reliable and fun, practical cars.

You can get a really good one with lower mileage way under 10 grand.

Get a Tech or Sport with suspension converted to Tech (so non-ADS shocks).

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
woo hoo! thanks so much for that great information! so excited to find one!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I've had my 2011 MDX Adv+Ent since 2014 when I purchased used with 30,000 miles on her. I now have almost 140,000 miles and it has been nothing but a positive experience owning her. Problem areas I've had (repairs were 100% free under warranty):
  • I use about 1 to 1.25 quarts of oil between 9000 mile oil changes with Mobil 1 5w-20,
  • magnetic suspension front struts were replaced at 35K,
  • replaced torn boot on front endlink at 35K
  • rear magnetic shocks were replaced at 108K,
  • both front seat heater were replaced
  • replaced driver 1 key fob because of lack of range
  • replaced 2nd row cup holder because it wasn't popping out
I wouldn't shy away from the 10-13 MDXs. The +10 MDXs with Adv features gives you ACC, CMBS, BSI, ADS, Auto load leveling HIDS, 3 way heated/cooled seats, thicker front/rear sway bars, and upgraded OEM rims. Even if the magnetic struts/shocks fail, you can replace with OEM/aftermarket standard struts/shocks. The oil consumption issue is more miss than hit for the +10 MDXs. It can be as bad as 1 quart per 1000 miles. Acura does have an 100,000 mile extended warranty to fix the issue and some owner were able to get it fixed above the 120,000 mile mark if they failed the test.

Even if you don't go for the Adv model, the 10-13 tech version is a pretty good upgrade over the 07-09 tech version. It has bluetooth streaming audio, extremely easy to load smartphone contacts, harddrive for ripping CDs, XM traffic/weather, upgraded navi screen, faster harddrive based navi system, and USB music. Other than the DCT you find in the hybrid/ILX/2.4L TLX/NSX, the Acura 6AT seems to be the most trouble-free and reliable. I had zero complaints about the mpgs/performance of the 6AT in my MDX. I was always wishing for a few extra gears with my 5AT TSX and 5AT RDX every time I needed passing power.

Reactions: AcuraAddicted

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Totally agree on the superior tech in 2010+

However engine consumption is a show stopper for me over all of that. I guess it depends on how much you are planning to have the vehicle for. For me I will have the car for its entire lifetime, so having premature failure due to oil starvation is the biggest factor. I find it unacceptable for a Honda engine to consume oil under normal circumstances. If I was ok with that, I would have gotten a BMW.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts