Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which IDS mode do most people use most often? I like the sport mode and the steering feedback I receive.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I use Normal as the shifting on Sport is a bit too aggressive for casual driving. I do prefer the stiffer steering on Sport though. Mostly I leave it in Normal, and if I really need to hustle, I just press the D/S button and put the transmission in full sport mode.

Reactions: DesertMDXer

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use Normal as the shifting on Sport is a bit too aggressive for casual driving. I do prefer the stiffer steering on Sport though. Mostly I leave it in Normal, and if I really need to hustle, I just press the D/S button and put the transmission in full sport mode.
Exactly my thoughts as well! :29:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I only use Sport mode - since day one of receiving the vehicle over 2 years ago. I tried the other modes once just to see the effect but I basically never want 'less' performance.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sometimes my arms get tired. I'll put it in comfort. Otherwise sport.
I get that. In my 14, the comfort is better for has Milage and long trips. For driving around town, sport is only one I trust for the sometimes necessary bursts needed in crazy traffic.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Comfort most of the time because I'm mostly driving on highway and live in small town with less traffic. With ACC and lane departure mitigation, I really enjoy my everyday communication.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just like a few posts above, I've had it in Sport mode since day 1. The difference between Comfort and Sport is truly night and day and I just can't seem to enjoy the car outside of Sport mode.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have different uses for each category:

sport - hustling through LA traffic
normal - 'normal' daily driving
comfort - long road trips

·
Registered
14 Posts
I haven't used anything but Normal on mine, but that's because I'm trying to get a feel for the transmission that everyone complains about. So far, the only thing I don't like is that it holds a gear too long when coasting/braking into a turn.

I have a road trip coming up, so maybe I'll try Comfort on that and see how I like it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I keep trying to go to Sport as I prefer the downshifting aggressiveness. Normal seems to make the car feel lethargic unless you fully floor it. However, Sport Mode seems to make the car quite jerky when coming off the throttle at slow speed. So I find myself in Normal and when I know I need to boogie, I just go into full Sport mode on the transmission.

Also, I'm not sure I'm a fan of the louder engine noise while in Sport.

I wish this was a tad bit more customizeable.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I really wish there was a mode between Normal and Sport. I find myself teetering between the positions. In Normal, the car is dangerously unresponsive. You need to put the pedal to the floor to accelerate away from danger. In sport mode it hustles with no issue and doesn't seem to hold gears too long. However, initial throttle tip-in off a stop light is a bit too aggressive. Also, the steering wheel is a tad bit too stiff in Sport mode, ideally somewhere in between would be nice.

That said, our previous 2013 Volvo XC60 R-Design had incredibly jumpy throttle off the line and a way stiffer steering wheel all the time. Its transmission sport mode was ludicrous and pretty much unusable, so compared to that, the MDX even in Sport mode is fairly calm.

Personally, I feel Normal should be Comfort, Sport should be Sport and there should be a new Normal in between Sport and Normal.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts