Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to replace the OEM transmission cooler with an aftermarket. Hayden seems to be favored in Acura forums.
I have been reading conflicting reasons for each size.

I am reading posts about Hayden transmission coolers, some use the Hayden 679, some users chose a Hayden 678, and others use the 1404 TransSaver.
This is where I get confused about the proper size for my environment.

I live in the Midwest - Summers can get very hot with 100+ degree temps on occasion, and winters can be sub-zero temps for a few weeks or so. Which Hayden would you recommend?

Concerned the Hayden 679 might cool down too much during the winter months slowing down the ATF. That is concerning.

Which Hayden size would you recommend?
And would you add the Magnefine magnetic inline filter?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
This is exactly why I used a Long Tru-Cool 4454. Plenty of capacity at 18,000 GVW and has a cold fluid bypass built right in. I bought mine on Amazon or Ebay, can't remember which for about $65 several years ago. It's a favorite on the Honda Odyssey forum where members are towing campers and other trailers. Easy install too.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Do you lack the OEM ATF Cooler? otherwise we usually just by-pass the ATF Warmer and that´s good enough with the OEM ATF Cooler.

If you are bypassing the ATF Warmer and adding an extra cooler then just get one for 5000Lb towing..

If you dont have the OEM ATF Cooler then yeah ADD one for at least 10,000lb towing or more and by-pass the ATF Warmer if you dont like in a freezing state.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My car is a 2011 and has 150K+ miles on it (regular maintenance, timing belt/water pump service, and any repairs as needed). The car runs great. I am wanting to make some upgrades/replacements for towing a boat.
I would like to keep this car until 250k - 300k miles if possible.

The vehicle does have a transmission cooler.
Given the age and miles on the car, I want to replace the radiator (preventative maintenance) and upgrade the transmission cooler to help with the towing.

Will take the car to a local honda/acura mechanic for the upgrades/replacements...I wouldn't mind replacing the transmission cooler as a DIY, but I don't want to mess with replacing the radiator. I would rather have a mechanic take care of everything at once.

My plan was just to replace the radiator and transmission cooler, but open to ideas/suggestions if something else makes sense.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I did an add on in mine it was pretty simple.. We have 120°F summers here but I also do off road with my MDX so I havent had a single issue with Trans Temps using 2x Trans Coolers. I did this DIY about it: DIY: Install ATF Cooler 2G MDX

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is exactly why I used a Long Tru-Cool 4454. Plenty of capacity at 18,000 GVW and has a cold fluid bypass built right in. I bought mine on Amazon or Ebay, can't remember which for about $65 several years ago. It's a favorite on the Honda Odyssey forum where members are towing campers and other trailers. Easy install too.
Did you replace the factory trans cooler with the 4454 or did you add the 4454 as a second trans cooler?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Did you replace the factory trans cooler with the 4454 or did you add the 4454 as a second trans cooler?
Sorry, I realize my earlier post isn't very clear. I put the 4454 on my Ody. My MDX just has the factory cooler, but I'm not towing with it. If I was, or decide to, I would just add the 4454.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am learning about this process as I go...
I appreciate the comments and suggestions.

Radiator will be replaced with an OEM radiator.
Regarding a trans cooler...
Given the car is 9 years old with 152k miles, would you replace the current trans cooler with the 4454 or run the 4454 in series with the current trans cooler even though it is old?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I am learning about this process as I go...
I appreciate the comments and suggestions.

Radiator will be replaced with an OEM radiator.
Regarding a trans cooler...
Given the car is 9 years old with 152k miles, would you replace the current trans cooler with the 4454 or run the 4454 in series with the current trans cooler even though it is old?
IMO you can do it either way assuming there are no signs of issues with the original cooler, but I certainly wouldn't argue with the choice to just put the new one on. Even if it looks fine you can't see inside of it. The 4454 has more than enough capacity rated at 18K GCVWR and you are maxed out at less than 11K.

·
Registered
25 Posts
2011 Acura MDX - no need for another cooler, Acura made sure of it. Cooler Is not always better. My Pontiac G8 GT 6.0 has a service advisories out not to add external cooler as it is finding they as cooling ATF fluid to out of range temps. Modern transmissions are to designed to operate within a temperate range.

With a rated towing capacity of 5,000 pounds, the MDX can pull a boat or camper trailer with confidence. Standard towing equipment includes a high-capacity radiator with twin 160-watt electric cooling fans, an automatic transmission fluid cooler, a heavy-duty power-steering cooler and pre-wiring for an electric brake controller. A Towing Package is available as dealer-installed accessory and includes a Class III receiver assembly, hitch, ball and wiring harness.
One of Acura's durability tests involved towing a 5,000-pound trailer in Death Valley National Park during summer, including repeated climbs up Townes Pass and Daylight Pass with outside air temperatures between 113- and 120-degrees F. Testers also targeted the toughest boat ramp they could find - at Shasta Lake in Northern California - where the launch ramp is extremely steep, and its length varies depending on the lake level. They also proved the MDX trailer-pulling skills elsewhere in California as well as in Kentucky and West Virginia.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts