Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the manual states 'Premium Recommended' as opposed to 'Premium Only' like my other vehicle, but wanted to hear if anyone else has been filling up on the lower octane (89 or lower) in their mdx? Prices here in socal are hovering near $5 as of this morning. :headshake

·
Registered
461 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I took two readings back to back

my first tank with premium 91, 17.8 mpg.. all city driving
my second tank with regular 87, 17.5mpg all city driving

same streets same driver same weather and same gas station.

·
Registered
2004 MDX, 2022 MDX
4,538 Posts
I really don't know why anyone would use anything other than what the car's manufacturer recommends, which is 91-93 octane premium. Why spend $40-60K on a high-performance luxury SUV, only to be so cheap that you put the wrong fuel in it, just in order to save a few dollars a fillup? If you're too cheap to put the recommended fuel in it, you would have been better off buying a less expensive, lower performance vehicle. Makes no sense to me. Same as people who spend a lot of money for a new car, and then don't do the scheduled maintenance for it. Why spend the money on a car if you're not going to take care of it the way the manufacturer recommends doing so?

·
Registered
184 Posts
I really don't know why anyone would use anything other than what the car's manufacturer recommends, which is 91-93 octane premium. Why spend $40-60K on a high-performance luxury SUV, only to be so cheap that you put the wrong fuel in it, just in order to save a few dollars a fillup? If you're too cheap to put the recommended fuel in it, you would have been better off buying a less expensive, lower performance vehicle. Makes no sense to me. Same as people who spend a lot of money for a new car, and then don't do the scheduled maintenance for it. Why spend the money on a car if you're not going to take care of it the way the manufacturer recommends doing so?
Because every dime, nickel and dollar does count and perhaps they are being prudent and want to be certain that there will no damage as a result of using a cheaper fuel. I for one spent the 60k on the vehicle but I have put regular gas on it. I have not noted any performance differences. There are other vehicles whose engines produce the same amount of Torque, Same amount of Horses and still use regular. It is not a Ferrari or Lambourgini(sp). If I can I will put regular fuel in it. The performance difference and fuel savings may be worth it after all. Acura has not been crystal clear with respect to the 2014 MDX fuel requirements. Perhaps anyone who wants to save a few can go mid grade.

·
Registered
2004 MDX, 2022 MDX
4,538 Posts
Because every dime, nickel and dollar does count and perhaps they are being prudent and want to be certain that there will no damage as a result of using a cheaper fuel.
That's ridiculous. Anyone who wants to be prudent and take care of the car to ensure no damage will use the fuel that's recommended for the car. It's really that simple.

I for one spent the 60k on the vehicle but I have put regular gas on it.
I would never, ever buy a used MDX for which regular gas was used. That's like buying a car which never had the scheduled maintenance done. VERY BAD IDEA.

I have not noted any performance differences.
The difference is significant enough that most drivers can tell the difference.

That just proves the point I made above. Again, if you can't tell the difference between an MDX using premium and an MDX using cheap gas, you probably should have bought a less expensive SUV, since you'll never notice the difference between that and an MDX.

Perhaps anyone who wants to save a few can go mid grade.
Only if they don't care about their car.

·
Registered
520 Posts
if it says premium "recommended" you'll be fine with regular. These engines are fitted with knock sensors and will pull back on the spark timing if knock is detected. You'll lose a few hp due to the less aggressive timing but it won't damage the engine.
That just proves the point I made above. Again, if you can't tell the difference between an MDX using premium and an MDX using cheap gas, you probably should have bought a less expensive SUV, since you'll never notice the difference between that and an MDX.
well maybe to you the difference between the MDX and other SUVs hinges on the 5hp you'll lose from regular gas. But then, why settle for a weak-ass 290 hp MDX? With that baller "money's no object" attitude, you should get a Grand Cherokee SRT/8 with 470 hp...

The vast majority of owners -myself included- couldn't care less about a couple HP. 285 or 290, who cares?

I picked an MDX for the handling, features, comfort, etc. I don't think I've ever had the throttle flat-out on this truck. If I want to speed and go flat out I've got other cars for that.

Just because it's your opinion doesn't make it the right answer for everyone

I choose to put premium in mine, that doesn't entitle me to judge people who don't

·
Registered
254 Posts
Read the wikipedia entry for "octane rating". There is almost no difference between gasolines at different ratings and, in particular, no difference in the amount of energy or any other quality to make it "better." The only difference is a slight change in the mix of hydrocarbons. Some engines compress the gas-air mix to a higher pressure before sparking the explosion. A higher octane is a mix that is less likely to explode due to pressure before the spark is applied. That's it. No other difference.

Gas companies might throw in some extra "detergents" to make their high octane gas "better" but at least in California all gas meets minimum standards and is likely to come from the same few refineries. Those additions have nothing to do with octane.

Premature detonation from using too low octane can be terribly damaging to an engine. All modern cars have sensors to detect it and adjust themselves to prevent it - which typically reduces mileage. The reduction is not due to "less energy" in the gas.

Bottom line, higher octane is a less explosive gas for a higher compression engine. If you lower octane, the MDX will adjust which might lower mileage. DavidG got a 1.5% reduction in mileage for maybe a 5% saving in price if you figure 20 cents on $4 gas so he is ahead by 3.5%. If you figure 15,000 miles at $4/gallon and 23 MPG that equals $90 saved, right?

·
Registered
13 Posts
NSXTSy,
The person asks a simple question about gas and you proceed to call the person cheap and give us your soap box, holier than thou opinion. Why be so rude? Just answer the person within the context of whether or not premium or regular will work and keep your value judgements to yourself. No need to be rude or judgemental.

·
Registered
13 Posts
if it says premium "recommended" you'll be fine with regular. These engines are fitted with knock sensors and will pull back on the spark timing if knock is detected. You'll lose a few hp due to the less aggressive timing but it won't damage the engine.
well maybe to you the difference between the MDX and other SUVs hinges on the 5hp you'll lose from regular gas. But then, why settle for a weak-ass 290 hp MDX? With that baller "money's no object" attitude, you should get a Grand Cherokee SRT/8 with 470 hp...

The vast majority of owners -myself included- couldn't care less about a couple HP. 285 or 290, who cares?

I picked an MDX for the handling, features, comfort, etc. I don't think I've ever had the throttle flat-out on this truck. If I want to speed and go flat out I've got other cars for that.

Just because it's your opinion doesn't make it the right answer for everyone

I choose to put premium in mine, that doesn't entitle me to judge people who don't
Amen.

·
Registered
184 Posts
That's ridiculous. Anyone who wants to be prudent and take care of the car to ensure no damage will use the fuel that's recommended for the car. It's really that simple.

I would never, ever buy a used MDX for which regular gas was used. That's like buying a car which never had the scheduled maintenance done. VERY BAD IDEA.

The difference is significant enough that most drivers can tell the difference.

Only if they don't care about their car.
I see you do have personal problems with people having opposing ideas. One interesting comment above in your list is I would never, ever buy a used MDX for which regular gas was used. My response to you is; how in the world will you know? I do use premium often but like Acura points out its a recommendation and not a requirement. You can keep arguing this issue Ad Nauseum, I am glad that there are like minded people on here who have reprimanded your judgemental statements here. Hopefully you find it in you to be more accepting.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Here is an interesting view from the Car Talk brothers. We have been using Premium. The extra 20-25 cents costs us maybe $10/month.

Premium vs. Regular | Car Talk

Consumers Reports says

Our advice: The best gas for your car depends on the vehicle you drive. If the owner’s manual or the sticker on the fuel-filler door says that premium gas is recommended or uses similar wording, you can probably use regular. If it says premium is required, play it safe with the right octane.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...fuel-economy-myths/index.htm?loginMethod=auto

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have to say that it's amazing that this topic always generates such strong emotions and that the real-life stakes for each opposing view is quite inconsequential.

And then it's entertaining that this topic arises anew at least once a month. And the strong emotions emerge again--as if last month's fierce debate never occurred.

I guess the premium gas topic is our family holiday argument--it solves nothing but nearly everyone leaves unhappy.

·
Registered
401 Posts
:werd:

This thread should be closed.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have an 02. I have tried regular and mid grade, it runs better on Premium...even my Wife says it feels sluggish on regular....

Try your own test...it will not hurt the vehicle...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts