Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an old 05' Touring mdx and I always notice that I can't see anything in the upper center console buttons (Full AC / Recirc / Rear AC) controls

I can see the temperature setting light up. If I push Recirc or Rear AC a light comes on but I can't read the words at night.
Is it normally dark? or is an LED broken?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I was hoping someone else WOULD chime in, since I have a bulb out in my upper center console as well. So, I did the only other thing that made sense... I went out to the driveway and tore apart my dash. ;-)

It's clear that you have to take out the whole fascia (surrounding the climate control, stereo, etc., to get to the upper console. I just slid a credit card into the gap on the right side, which released a couple of the tabs. I put pressure on the fascia while moving the credit card up and down and quickly had the fascia loose enough to pull out. There are three connectors - the one on the left is easy to release from the driver's side, but the other two might be easier if you're sitting in the passenger's (right) seat, as the releases are in the center right side of the clips (looking at the dash).

Once you have the fascia out, just flip it over and turn the two obvious gray bulb holders about 1/8 turn counter-clockwise, and then they'll drop out (don't lose them).

You can be a chump and spend $10 (or more) each to replace them with another "assembly", or you can order the raw bulbs, and just replace the bulbs themselves (this assumes you didn't damage the plastic base when you take the bulbs out - doubtful that they are damaged, since there's really no reason for them to be damaged when removed).

I just ordered a 10-pack of the bulbs from Amazon, which should be here tomorrow, for about $6 (I did have to add something to the order to get free one-day shipping though, but my wife had something to add to the order).

Here are photos that might help - from the top, the back of the fascia, then the back of the upper dash control panel, with the two bulbs in the "unlock" position, then the two bulbs out of the socket, then one of the bulb "assemblies" taken apart. I believe that the right bulb will be the 2182 bulb (T 1-3/4 form factor, I think). They should be a little brighter than the originals, but I was getting tired looking for the right bulb. If they're too bright, I'll just keep looking for a slightly lower-wattage option, or maybe a LED equivalent (which I avoided because of the potential for getting the wrong "color" of light output, which could look odd).

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks!!!

I also just found this old post.
http://www.mdxers.org/forums/73-first-generation-mdx-2001-2006/35527-how-replace-bulbs-behind-hvac-controls-dash-center.html

And realized there are bulbs back there.

I have 'prying tools' from Harbor Freight, so no worries about getting the dash off (Used it to install a USB adapter), and looks like the bulbs w/mounting are $5 each ($8 Shipping! WTF) ($13 at dealer)
Part is 79629-S3V-A01 if anyone is interested.

Also noticed that I have P0300 code up, which my repair guy says either a valve adjustment ($250) OR new coils (OMG price). I'll follow up after I get the parts.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I replaced my bulbs yesterday (though only one was bad). The replacement bulbs I got ($6 for 10 of 'em) ended up having leads that were a little short, so I cut the straight sections off the old bulbs (trimming off the bent-up bits) and carefully soldered them to the new bulbs' leads. The holes in the plastic mount are a bit too tight to get the new "double-wide" leads through, so I ran a 1/8" drill bit through the holes (making certain that there was still separation between the two).

Yeah, that's quite a bit of work to save a few bucks, but at least I have a bunch of grain-of-wheat bulbs for future replacements. If I didn't have a lot of spare time, I would have gladly ordered the factory bulbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts