Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just signed up to this forum and have read some good posts. I see several folks have complained about the Bass in their MDX and I am in that group as well. Just bought a 2015 MDX Tech SH-AWD and there is zero bass. I've messed with the surround sound, bass and subwoofer settings - and its far from what I like. So, for those without entertainment pkg, what have you done to improve (increase) the bass in your stereo?

Did you replace the factory sub?
Did you add a tube?

Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
499 Posts
I think there a number of threads in the 3rd gen section discussing this...I don't have a solution but agree with your assessment of the low frequency response, at lower volumes it's flat. I have found however that it's there when the volume is turned up the past where one might casually listen or still try to have a conversation with others.

Systems that try to accurately reproduce music as the audio engineer intended (such as Bose) are generally disliked by the average listener because there is no artificial bass response. In my experience the systems that enhance the music with crisp highs and punchy lows are the ones that people tend to like. I gather ELS is programmed to be more Bose-like which is disappointing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is your 8" subwoofer in the rear blown? You should check if there's any response at all. My 2017 Tech SH-AWD (no Ent) puts out incredible bass for a stock sub, and I'm an audiophile who has always had a premium aftermarket 10" or 12" sub installed in my vehicles (because stock never measures up). The ELS system in modern Acuras is phenomenal for a stock system. Try all your basic settings again as well: bass level up, fade middle/rear, subwoofer up, etc. My guess is there's no power going to your sub. I find the bass response to be exceptional (for stock) at all listening levels. I've actually had several passengers ask me if I've had an aftermarket sub installed, because the ELS stock sub is that good.

·
Registered
288 Posts
This is weird, but in my Advance w/o Entertainment, the satellite radio has good bass output, but the CD player's bass is much noticeable less than radio (satellite). I play CD's that I used to play on my 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit's Harman-Kardon system, that sounded AWESOME in the Jeep, now sound a bit tinny in the MDX. It's like the CD output is aurally "flat", even with bass and subwoofer controls at max.

·
Registered
575 Posts
The first thing to keep in mind is that the subwoofer amplifier gets its signal from the rear speaker outputs. So if you turn down the rear speakers you are turning down the sub as well - check the fader. The ideal fix for this would be to add a sub under a front seat, driven from the front speakers, but for most of us this would be overkill.

I assume you have adjusted the equalizer, but it bears mentioning. There have been mentions in other threads of a setting to check, but since I have a base model it doesn't apply. Try a search...

Contrary to a previous post, I find the stock ELS speakers to be inadequate entry-level OEM speakers - and I have had every one of the basic ELS speakers in my hands, as well as listened to them. By replacing the speakers with quality aftermarket parts you will find a noticeable improvement to the sound. There are a number of threads on the bass response, and replacing the subwoofer, so look around. Also, keep in mind that the sub is only working with frequencies below 200kHz or so, and much of your sensation of the bass is from the door speakers (which are inadequate IMHO). If interested in upgrading the speakers, either yourself or at a shop, read this thread: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/138201-replacing-front-speakers-components-wiring-4.html . Be patient, as we chased a few dead ends on the way, but if you read to the end you will see what is involved. Spending a few hundred dollars to upgrade the sound on a +/-50k car is well worth it.

For those who want to do some analytical work, download an audio spectrum analyzer app for your phone and a pink noise mp3 file. While playing the mp3 file look at the frequency response in various positions around the car and next to each speaker. With the new speakers the sound looks pretty flat, with a boost in the 1kHz-3kHz mid-range and a notch at about 10kHz (perhaps reducing interference?). With the upgraded front door speakers the bass there rolls off between 70Hz-60Hz, which is very nice. The rear doors roll off below 200Hz as a result of the sub crossover. The upgraded sub is delivering down to 35Hz. It would be interesting to see the results of similar testing on the stock speakers.

Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts