Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought a 2007 MDX base with 153xxx miles on it last week. 2 Previous owners full service records(both receipts and carfax, most of the work done at the dealer). It is The cherry red color stock rims with pretty much brand new Pirelli Scorpion tires. I work at a Honda dealership so I can get parts and labor cheap. I want to basically beef it up as much as possible and maybe try to get a little more performance out of it too. Where would you guys start? I’m open to OEM and aftermark parts, though I haven’t found a ton of aftermarket online.

I was thinking a AISIN timing belt kit/water pump, new oil pump(this one has a tiny leak in it). I was also thinking of putting some money into the suspension. I would like to throw some 22” rims on it soon, so I wanna beef the suspension up beforehand. I live in Arizona where the roads are dry year around. And I doubt I'll take it off road(I'll use the stocks if I have to). I'll also put so,e good rubber on it Pirelli pzero probably to help with the ride.

Any aftermarket that you guys think are worthwile? Aftermarket brakes? Just any advice towards making this thing get to 300000 miles and perform well while doing it.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
You won't be able to get much out of it without a substantial modifications, requiring serious investment, which is not worth it in my opinion.

I know a guy in Russia managed to slap on a supercharger and tune the ECU, but even that did not give him much power. If I'm not mistaken, that gave him not more than extra 45-50 HP.

As far as the suspension, you pretty much can't go better than stock for the most part, especially when it comes to shocks, control arms, etc. Putting 22" on this car is beyond insane, unless you are not going to use it on regular streets, because the ride quality is harsh as is, and it would be terrible on anything beyond 20" max.

Now as for brakes, there is a FastBrakes WilWood BBK you can get here, but TBH they are so expensive, it's really hard to justify paying a quarter of what your car is worth just for brakes. They are awesome, though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You won't be able to get much out of it without a substantial modifications, requiring serious investment, which is not worth it in my opinion.

I know a guy in Russia managed to slap on a supercharger and tune the ECU, but even that did not give him much power. If I'm not mistaken, that gave him not more than extra 45-50 HP.

As far as the suspension, you pretty much can't go better than stock for the most part, especially when it comes to shocks, control arms, etc. Putting 22" on this car is beyond insane, unless you are not going to use it on regular streets, because the ride quality is harsh as is, and it would be terrible on anything beyond 20" max.

Now as for brakes, there is a FastBrakes WilWood BBK you can get here, but TBH they are so expensive, it's really hard to justify paying a quarter of what your car is worth just for brakes. They are awesome, though.
I wasn’t going to supercharge it or anything like that. Didn’t know if there was any good tunes/bolt ons. I’m having a hard time finding aftermarket parts for it. Almost everything seems OEM. What about preventative maintainance? I really want to beef it up as much as possible. High performance radiator? Anything trans/Diff wise?

As far as 22” go. I live in Arizona, so the roads are usually pretty good here, and I never see snow.

Also since you seem to be in the know, what’s your take on Brembo brakes? What model would you go with? I’m not super worried about the money, I get work and OEM parts dirt cheap/free, and have access to all sorts of Honda/Acura dealer service groups. Even if I put 4K into beefing the engine/trans/Suspension up I still think it’s cheaper than having a car and payments. Plus I like to build my own stuff.

I want to get Land Cruiser miles out of this thing.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Didn’t know if there was any good tunes/bolt ons. I’m having a hard time finding aftermarket parts for it.
Yeah, there isn't much in terms of modding. There are some aftermarket parts, but mostly crappy.

As for radiator - there are aftermarket ones I know people install, but I don't know if it's worth it as the price difference is really negligible on that.

Transmission and diff wise - forget about it, this is a proprietary transmission and rear diff with electromagnetic clutches, I would be shocked if you are able to find anything for it outside of seals and remanufactured units, really.

What about preventative maintainance?
Get the radiator replaced with all new hoses to prevent mixing ATF with engine coolant due to rusty fittings.

That's pretty much it, other than regular service as per codes.

Also since you seem to be in the know, what’s your take on Brembo brakes?
I am not aware of any existing Brembo kit for MDX. You would probably able to mix and match, but you would probably need custom adapters for anything you can match. MDX is very popular in Russia and Ukraine, some of those guys seem to be able to adapt BB from Porsches, etc. Given the cost of labour there about 7-8 times cheaper than in the States, experimenting with different setups is not an issue there.

What model would you go with?
TBH, ever since I installed OEM brake rotors and pads all around back in 2015 (and about 45K miles away), I've never had an issue with them, they are probably good for another 4-5 years and another 40K miles. I drive very moderately, I don't cut people off, I don't do "checkers" on highways and I don't push the pedal to the floor on green light, so no issues there. Although I make a full stop on every stop sign and on red before turning right where not prohibited. So that goes to attest to the brakes quality and heat resistance as well.

Even if I put 4K into beefing the engine/trans/Suspension up I still think it’s cheaper than having a car and payments. Plus I like to build my own stuff.
I don't think 4K is anything that can be considered substantial for this car. Just FYI, OEM front lower control arm costs $450 alone, rear lower arms are $250 each, plus another rear lower arm is a $100, and upper rear ones are $60, front damper assembly is about $300 each for a regular one, rears are $100 each, so you are looking at 2.5K just for parts to replace main suspension components. And there are simply no better suspension components than OEM ones. So even if you have let's say 20% dealer discount, that only gives you $250 back. So even if you don't pay for labour, that's still more than half of 4K you mentioned just for suspension, that sort of thing. Imagine the magnitude if you start modifying other stuff (which will definitely cost more than OEM.

I want to get Land Cruiser miles out of this thing.
As much as I love MDX, realistically you won't be able to get even close to a Land Cruiser miles on it.

My prediction: 350K miles tops before repairs stop being reasonable. I'm about halfway myself with my 2008, so I'm giving mine another 10-12 years, may be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts