Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally took out the DVD unit to send to Alpine. I doubt Alpine will even look at this. It is rusted and corroded badly. See photos.

It looks like I need a replacement unit. Yes, I can check ebay but nothing matches the part number which is 39540-STX-C420-M1

I am leery to buy another part that is different especially at the prices listed

I have tried local scrapyards and nothing there.

Anyone here either selling one or have had success in sourcing one? Obviously I will need a navi code with it as well.

Thanks for your help

Technology Electronic device Wood Floor Table

Electronics Hard disk drive Solid-state drive Technology Electronic device

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also found a guy an hour away selling a navigation unit for a 2008 RDX. I asked him to send me photo of back connectors. I am hoping they are the same but even if they are does that mean they are compatible?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes. Car's original owner before me was in Quebec Canada. Lots of winters with snow and road salt. They likely had some bad mats that allowed the snow and salt to seep under the unit on the carpet. I have mats with high lips to prevent this kind of thing from happening going forward.

·
Registered
336 Posts
What symptoms were you getting that pointed you in the direction of inspecting the unit? Our system flakes out or downright locks up quite often. It's been an annoyance more than anything since we don't use the nav function. Chasing down the issue just hasn't been a priority for me.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What symptoms were you getting that pointed you in the direction of inspecting the unit? Our system flakes out or downright locks up quite often. It's been an annoyance more than anything since we don't use the nav function. Chasing down the issue just hasn't been a priority for me.
Hi Jon. For us it was the screen going black, no rear camera, no navigation (which I seldom use, since it has no live traffic). When I inspected the unit, it had no power going to it. I have a 2017 navi disc I bought from Acura last year so wanted to get it out. With my old 2004 MDX I was able to send the defective drive to Alpine USA to get it repaired - I have since given that car to my Dad and he loves the navi. Unfortunately, Alpine, after looking at the photos, will not accept the unit to repair.

The good news is it appears as if the RDX unit is compatible...uses same disc and even the part number is almost identical (C series, not A, though I have seen A series works on the MDXes...the one that came out was a C series). I will be happy if it works...and what I like is that the RDX units are in the trunk so they should have no rust or corrosion whatsoever.

Hopefully I will have good news tonight after picking it up and installing it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I picked up the used RDX navigation unit. It did come AS-IS, and was from a junked vehicle, but my educated guess was right. It booted up fine and I saw the Acura navigation splash screen (yay!)...

It then asked for the navigation PIN, which we entered. After that it went to a "disc read error" and then the screen went black. At least my backup camera is back now.

I tried to eject the disc, but the drive made some crazy clicking sound and it took several attempts at the eject button before the disc came out. That was my working original 2017 disc that I paid over $200 from Acura. I tried my original 2008 disc and same thing. Splash screen there. Asks for code, but then tells me that disc read error. At least now, with this new unit which is in great condition, that I can send it back to Alpine should it need to be fixed.

However, my daughter who was helping me mentioned could it be that the RDX uses a different navigation disc? This is quite possible, but the clicking sound when ejecting the disc does not give me much confidence that the issue is not hardware related.

The good news is that with no rust on this unit, Alpine can then repair it. But that will cost me another $550, in addition to the $300 I paid tonight for the drive, as well as the RDX screen and control module.

Does anyone know whether the MDX and RDX drives use different discs? I suppose I can order one for $200, but this is starting to become a major money pit. I still think the hardware is maybe flaky since that drive came out of an RDX which was totalled.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Hi Jon. For us it was the screen going black, no rear camera, no navigation (which I seldom use, since it has no live traffic). When I inspected the unit, it had no power going to it. I have a 2017 navi disc I bought from Acura last year so wanted to get it out. With my old 2004 MDX I was able to send the defective drive to Alpine USA to get it repaired - I have since given that car to my Dad and he loves the navi. Unfortunately, Alpine, after looking at the photos, will not accept the unit to repair.

The good news is it appears as if the RDX unit is compatible...uses same disc and even the part number is almost identical (C series, not A, though I have seen A series works on the MDXes...the one that came out was a C series). I will be happy if it works...and what I like is that the RDX units are in the trunk so they should have no rust or corrosion whatsoever.

Hopefully I will have good news tonight after picking it up and installing it.
Thanks for the info. Ours has constant disc read errors and the system often freezes or reboots. Occasionally the camera doesn't work.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I brought the RDX navi unit to the local Alpine authorized service place, who will send it out to Alpine. There was debate between the two guys at the front desk whether the RDX unit is compatible or not. One guys says yes and pulled up some Alpine docs on it. The other guy says no. I said well, I saw the Acura logo and my back up cam works but there is a mechanical problem with the drive. So I want it fixed. Besides, they conceded that there is no other way I can source one. No one would be crazy enough to buy from Acura, who has almost no new ones left. Further, due to the design of it bolting near floor and touching floor, moisture from carpet on the metal is always going to be an issue when buying used ones. I said well, from what I see, the drive seems to be compatible with MDX...and it uses the same DVD (verified by Acura). So it is off to get fixed.

What they told me that I didn't know before is that Acura sells a retrofit kit that allows you to mount the drive higher up so it is not touching the carpet. Given how little slack there is in the cabling, I don't know how this would be done, but clearly it would involve removing the seat, which I am not entirely sure I want to try to do myself. I may try to fold up a cut up piece of a rubber mat and prop up the unit off the floor even though it may not mount neatly. I have high lip mats now in the vehicle so that may help long term.

LATER EDIT: I got an email from the Alpine service centre. They got a note from Alpine USA saying they are not sure whether it will work with my MDX because the unit is from a 2009 RDX. I said well, I know that, but mechanically there are issues, so I want those fixed. Once they are fixed, if it is not compatible then I can at least sell it and get some money back (I also got the screen and the control knob).

But here is my thinking:

1. The connectors are 100% compatible - everything fits
2. The DVD from Acura confirms that it works in both MDX and RDX from 2007-2009. This is the biggest plus.
3. When it is connected, I can see the Acura navigation screen and my back up camera works again
4. It is a Canadian model based on model number
5. It is extremely close to the old part number, so not off at all by much

Given Acura wants $6400 for a new one and I have little options available, this is a risk I am willing to take.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
keep us posted good info! i bought a used one from a 2008 mdx on car-part.com . about 500$ cad, no rust. got lucky i guess

if the rdx unit works in an mdx, this would open standed mdx users to buy used rdx navigation computers.

I shall let everyone know once I get the unit back. My gut tells me it will work.

When you got your $500 one, did it come with a PIN and was it tested? The RDX one came with a pin (which works) but clearly wasn't tested and I knew I would take that risk in buying it.
If it does work, I do have an RDX navigation screen and wheel/button controller which was bundled with the unit, which I can sell separately.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I shall let everyone know once I get the unit back. My gut tells me it will work.

When you got your $500 one, did it come with a PIN and was it tested? The RDX one came with a pin (which works) but clearly wasn't tested and I knew I would take that risk in buying it.
If it does work, I do have an RDX navigation screen and wheel/button controller which was bundled with the unit, which I can sell separately.
i had to call my acura dealer to get the PIN for the remplacement dvd unit that goes under the seat. They guy told me to give him the unit serial number. He looked into a website, and gave me the pin for that unit.

They identified me with the accout I already had in place with this dealer, because i did warranty work on the very same car before. I dont know if any dealer will give you a pin if you dont have an account with them.

for my remplacement unit, i removed all the rust with a sansing disk, and painted the whole unit with anti corrosion paint. then, i taped a plastic bag to the unit with construction tape. I made sure the unit is still breathing with holes + fan.

stupid location to put a comptuer, and honda corrected this with 2010 to 2013 mdx refresh

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.