Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Two things to note:

Just a reminder the "shark fin" antenna has a signal booster so be sure to connect the "power antenna" wire from the head unit to the wire blue on the "Metra 40-HD10 Antenna Adapter", otherwise you don't get much radio reception.

The head unit I installed outputs 2V preamp signals and sounds as good as factory.
My Alpine ILX-W650 has 4V preamp signals and it pushes the factory amp pretty good. However I feel that by splicing the factory connector B with wire taps and not utilizing the Metra Metra 70-1731, I made a poor decision by risking sub-par connections. I am thinking of removing all the taps and using the harness instead, but now that means ill have a bunch of exposed wire where the taps were that I need to somehow seal up.

Did you manage to figure out the backup camera hookup yet? I cannot get my backup camera to power on from the reverse lamp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I made a poor decision by risking sub-par connections.
For sure you need to solder those connections. I would think cutting RCA cables to 8" and soldering them to the 'B' wires would work fine and give you plenty of cable for the connections.

Did you manage to figure out the backup camera hookup yet?
I'm all done. The camera was a pain because the cord on the camera (Crux CUB-15) was about 2 ft. too short to make it all the way past the hinge into the car, so I had so solder a 2' extension close to the camera so that the skinny connector would feed through the rubber cable cover by the hinge. But the extension let me plug the front camera wire to the cable going to the front behind the cover on the rearmost shoulder belt. I used a coat hanger to get the wire through the voids in the rear door and rubber wire cover. There is a little room behind the rear right panel and I pried it open enough to get the power wires down to the lower fuse box (which I think is for trailer hitches). On the upper right side of that fuse panel is a 4-conductor white plug and the brown wire is the reverse signal - I tapped into that by scraping off insulation and soldering onto that wire.

I can't see why your reverse light connection wouldn't work. Is the head unit also getting the reverse signal so that it knows to switch to the camera?

done.jpg backup wiring 2.jpg backup wiring 1.jpg backup power wiring.jpg backup power tap plug.jpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
I ended up purchasing the Metra 70-1731 and this thing only came with 3 pins. Where did you get the pins from for the rest of sockets?

See photos below:

·
Registered
38 Posts
I ended up purchasing the Metra 70-1731 and this thing only came with 3 pins. Where did you get the pins from for the rest of sockets?
Never mind I saw that I was able to move the pins from the second harness it came with. Ill try and get the rest of the pins from 70-1722 and move those over to the 70-1731

·
Registered
38 Posts
So I ended up using the Metra 70-1731 harness to mate with connector B, which is the route everyone should go from the get go. I got a harness key from amazon to unlock the pins from the 70-1731 and re-pinned the harness to match the MDX amplifier harness.

Splicing the factory amplifier harness with wire taps was a bad idea originally, as the wire taps became loose and introduced noise into various channels, and as time went on channels started cutting out. I was worried that I would short something and either blow the factory amp or the head unit.

A big thanks to AndyC and loadedthorn for their posts.

My completed harness:

·
Registered
1 Posts
In loadedthorn's Stereo Amplifier schema, connector B:

What is R-D-PLR and L-D-PLR?
Where is the connection for the subwoofer?

Regards

·
Registered
4 Posts
Stop spamming the forum with your advertisements.

If anyone can assist me I would appreciate it.

Thanks
He actually does good work. I’m thinking of getting one of his adapters. Check his stuff out. I haven’t seen anyone doing what he’s doing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’m trying to install s Pioneer double din unit in my son’s 2009 MDX so I’ve found this thread and I’m hoping you guys can answer a couple of dumb questions.
As you can see from the attached picture, my Pioneer only has the 4 RCA connectors and one of those is labeled rear left/SW. I’ve been able figirevout from pictures on this thread how to re-pin the B connector from the Metra 17-1731 kit. But since I don’t have all the same RCA holes, do I use all the same pins? If so, what do I connect the wires from those pins to? Do I combine some of the speaker connections in order to have all speakers powered by my limited RCA connections? Should I combine the rear speaker and center speaker wires to plug into the Pioneer R/SW connection?
Also, what, if anything, does anyone do with the connector C from the dash?

He actually does good work. I’m thinking of getting one of his adapters. Check his stuff out. I haven’t seen anyone doing what he’s doing.
2C2D6337-42BF-40EA-8DB2-1815F924F03B.jpeg

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone - this has been a very informative thread and I have reread it a bunch of times to understand exactly the concept and what to do. I am trying to install a pioneer aftermarket head unit into an 09 MDX with Nav. I've followed the AndyC outlined using the stereo preamp outputs to wire into the Connector B harness, but am running into some issues and hope someone can share some ideas.

The volume is extremely low, I turn it up to the max volume and it is just within audible volume. Also seems like the front speakers are getting more volume while the rear door, rear satellite and subwoofer is barely getting any volume at all (even with aftermarket turn to max volume).

1) Does the 09 MDX w/ Nav work differently than ones withOUT Nav? I found a pin diagram (see below) for the Connector B where it shows the connections for the audio units with Nav. There are 4 pins with asterisks that are specific to audio units with Nav. I have not supplied any connections to those 4 pins - could that be the issue? I have no idea what the RS 485 is used for? Googling RS485 seems to indicate it is some type of communication or data transfer?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone - this has been a very informative thread and I have reread it a bunch of times to understand exactly the concept and what to do. I am trying to install a pioneer aftermarket head unit into an 09 MDX with Nav. I've followed the AndyC outlined using the stereo preamp outputs to wire into the Connector B harness, but am running into some issues and hope someone can share some ideas.

The volume is extremely low, I turn it up to the max volume and it is just within audible volume. Also seems like the front speakers are getting more volume while the rear door, rear satellite and subwoofer is barely getting any volume at all (even with aftermarket turn to max volume).

1) Does the 09 MDX w/ Nav work differently than ones withOUT Nav? I found a pin diagram (see below) for the Connector B where it shows the connections for the audio units with Nav. There are 4 pins with asterisks that are specific to audio units with Nav. I have not supplied any connections to those 4 pins - could that be the issue? I have no idea what the RS 485 is used for? Googling RS485 seems to indicate it is some type of communication or data transfer?

View attachment 114857
Hey guys Orlando over at Mobile Max Car Audio, we are a factory integration audio shop based out of NY who sell plug and play harnesses for Acuras/Hondas. We have been asked for various clients to make a solution for the MDX and it seems most of you on this thread already have so we thank you for the information. We can use it to help others and provide products that make installation easy.

As for the reason for this post is to help those in the situation we found ourselves in just recently. A 2007-2009 Acura MDX with Navigation that we were trying to retain the factory amplifier and add an aftermarket radio. The install part is pretty straight forward if you follow the information on this thread you can get it almost working but like this last posts mentions that MDX's with navigation have a different amp then those who don't. The navigation amp has 4 wires that are responsible for RS485 communications between the amp and factory radio. These 4 wires allow the factory system to tone down the volume when necessary, fade and balance the audio all digitally.

This means an MDX with navigation will require those signals (RS485) in order to properly install an aftermarket radio and have full volume. Unfortunately we haven't found a module/system that will provide the right signal. We reached out to Metra who makes modules for newer Hondas that use the same RS485 digital communications. Here is there reply.

"There may be a chance to use the factory amp but, even if it works, it will be problematic at best. The amp has a digital VOL, BAL, & FAD. If you were to reintroduce the factory radio then raise the VOL to 80-90% and remove it. The VOL could stay at that level, kinda like a gain setting, then evaluate to see if it works and will survive a key cycle. I am sure it will not survive a battery change or power loss. Like I said problematic at best."

So if your MDX has navigation you can't use the factory amplifier. Well we weren't settling for that so we purchased an amp of a non nav MDX and created a conversion harness and the system is working great. The conversion harness is made out of products from mouser.com. We aren't here to sell you stuff but to help out so here are the links:

If you aren't as technical or would rather no be bothered with creating the harness yourself. We also are selling this harness on our store to help others. You can find it here https://mobilemaxcaraudio.com/harnesses. I hope this helps and if you found another solution please let us know. We are also planning on making a bypass harness for the amp all together if you would be interested in this please let us know.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts