Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a project and have a question about the headrest storage compartment. Is there a gas tank, any cables, or hoses under the floor of the compartment? I'm hesitant because I don't want to damage anything because I want to screw my equipment down. The screw are only about 2". Thanks

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone know where the gas tank is located?

·
Registered
38 Posts
The gas tank is on the left side forward of the rear wheels. If you look under the vehicle, it's that big black plastic thing. I'm surprised that the gas tank is plastic. Are most new car gas tanks plastic instead of metal? I would have preferred something tougher than plastic to hold all that explosive fuel!!!

Happy MDXing!

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
My wife's '92 Volvo has a plastic tank too. Ask any owner of a car older than 10 years old in Buffalo, and they will all tell you that they wish their tanks were plastic! They ALL rot out.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the info Tim. I never thought of that rusting out concern. I know that todays plastics can be very tuff and durable, but I was still surprised. I never really thought about what gas tanks are made of. I just happen to see it while installing the running boards I got from you. They look great on the MDX!

Your never to old to learn.

Happy MDXing!!!

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wlind said:
The gas tank is on the left side forward of the rear wheels. If you look under the vehicle, it's that big black plastic thing. I'm surprised that the gas tank is plastic. Are most new car gas tanks plastic instead of metal? I would have preferred something tougher than plastic to hold all that explosive fuel!!!

Happy MDXing!
So the gas tank is in front of the left side of the headrest compartment? When knocking on the floor of the compartment with my fist I noticed there seems to be a metal beam or something solid running through the middle and at some other points.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts