Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 MDX with the tech package and so far I have not had anything major happen with the vehicle. I have 33k and we recognize that we don't drive very far. We are considering getting an extended warranty and wanted to get a feel of what others paid for it and if there was a suggested place to get it from. I contacted AAA and they gave me a quote for $2,000.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I too have a 2014 MDX with 34,000 miles and my factory warranty is up next June. I have shopped around as well and the price range seems to be in the $2,000 to $2,400 range.

I am not sure if I will get an extended warranty or not. It seems like even if you get it, it will not necessarily cover certain parts and it may be better just to see how it plays out and pay as you go along.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I did the Acura Care 5yr/120,000 miles extended warranty for my 11 Adv+Ent for $2390. I purchased from Tim Poliniak, Acura of Peoria in Arizona, 1-866-347-8355, for my extended warranty. I purchased when my basic warranty was still active around Dec/14 and I am covered for another 3 1/2 yrs or until I pass 120,000 miles (I have 80,000 miles now). The ONLY reason for the extended warranty was because of my magnetic struts/shocks. I already had a failure of the fronts at 35K (covered by the basic warranty) and I knew it would cost $800-$1000 per corner if they went out again without a warranty. If it wasn't for the magnetic ride, I would have skipped the warranty.

The prices for the exact same Acura Care warranty are within a few $100 dollars at different on-line dealerships (Tim was the lowest at time of purchase). There are different coverage periods with lower prices depending on length of coverage you need (5/120 was the longest). Purchasing on-line and out of state has the added bonus of zero sales tax (can save you up to $400 depending of local sales tax %). No difference in Acura Care prices for coverage for if you have a fwd MDX base compared to a sh-awd Adv+Ent. The Acura Care will not kick in until the 4/50k basic, 6/70k powertrain, or any extended warranties expires. Acura Care is only good at an Acura dealership unless one is too far away. I don't know the procedures and rules for reimbursements if you have an warranty issue and had to take to a Honda, another dealership, or local mechanic?

I've owned Acuras for +10 years and I don't think I've spent over $1500 on all three vehicles on maint issue outside of the basic, powertrain, extended warranties, and TSB (not counting routine maint like fluids, tires, brakes, battery, wipers, filters, belt/plugs). Items that might have been covered; but, failed after +120,000 miles on the odo were, RDX alternator, RDX driver side door actuator, TSX alternator, replaced RDX struts/shocks, and TSX upper passenger side control arm.

An Acura or 3rd party warranty would really be a "peace of mind" purchase depending on how long you will keep your MDX. I don't think I will get my full value unless all four corners of my magnetic ride fails in the next 3 years or 40,000 miles.

·
Registered
191 Posts
mr gold 35, thank you for all the info.
Does the price of the extended warranty go up as you approach the end of your factory warranty? Meaning, I picked up my 2014 MDX in June 2013 so my basic 4 year bumper to bumper warranty will expire next June. So if I don't do it now, will I pay more for it next spring?

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
mr gold 35, thank you for all the info.
Does the price of the extended warranty go up as you approach the end of your factory warranty? Meaning, I picked up my 2014 MDX in June 2013 so my basic 4 year bumper to bumper warranty will expire next June. So if I don't do it now, will I pay more for it next spring?
I really don't know if it does or not? I know the dealership makes more money if you purchase early. The Acura care warranty will not kick in until the 4/50 and 6/70 expire. If you purchase early, Acura will making $$$ on your money for 4-6 years before the Acura Care warranty might be used if you purchased when the MDX was new.

Even then, there are still TSB and extended warranties that will be applied first before Acura Care. I used TSB/Extended warranties for TSX power steering hose, RDX A/C clutch, MDX check charging system warning, and MDX 6AT reflash.

Canada now has an extended warranty for magnetic shock/struts for the 07-09 sport and +10 Elite MDXs for 100,000 miles (160,000 km). Might just be time before they extend this extra warranty to the USA. Almost negating my reason for me getting the Acura Care warranty in the first place if this happens.:frown2:

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Dealerships always tell you if you buy letter there is an additional assessment of condition fee so that they know what kind of liability they're getting but i think it's only a few hundred different at most. Most of the online acuracare prices are also quite competitive with anything you get in person anyway so it's a bit of a wash.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
I too have a 2014 MDX with 34,000 miles and my factory warranty is up next June. I have shopped around as well and the price range seems to be in the $2,000 to $2,400 range.

I am not sure if I will get an extended warranty or not. It seems like even if you get it, it will not necessarily cover certain parts and it may be better just to see how it plays out and pay as you go along.
I bought the Acura/care. It extends the factory warranty. Covers everything. Bought it a month after I bought the car.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I'd never buy an extended warranty - they're biased very heavily in favor of the insurance company and sales commissions and on average the buyer loses.

If you do buy an extended warranty make sure you read and understand the fine print since you'll tend to find many items, for example all of the normal maintenance items, are excluded. Also keep in mind the most expensive parts of the vehicle already have a pretty extensive factory warranty period. You should get the extended warranty contract and read the details at a time when you're not sitting in front of the salesperson who may rush or distract you.

Extended warranty companies are notorious for going out of business every few years leaving the purchaser with a worthless contract. If you're set on getting a warranty strongly consider getting one from the manufacturer, Acura, as opposed to a third party. If you do that, check out Acura dealerships that offer them at more of a discount than others - check out the online advertisers here like Acura of Peoria.

Here's a pretty good article regarding vehicle extended warranties -

Are Extended Warranties For Cars Worth It - Consumer Reports

·
Registered
142 Posts
They are luck of the draw whether you'll need it. We didn't have an extended warranty on our Accord and the only non warranty repairs we had up to 120k miles were an engine mount and a clock backlight. So we would've lost money on a warranty there.

My old Subaru had a 100k mile extended warranty and I got my money back on that with wheel bearing replacements and a transmission rebuild.

Our old RX350 repairs about tripled what we paid for the 100k warranty with covered repairs like steering rack replacement, water pump replacement, an oil leak, control arm bushings, and a transfer case replacement. (Had to dump the car when the transmission started to die and another oil leak sprung up at 102k miles)

We got the 100k Acuracare for our MDX because of all the $$ tech features and because we are a little gun shy from the nightmare RX.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How does the Mechanical breakdown insurance from your insurance company compare to Acuracare extended warranty? I choose the MBI but I'm wondering if I would be better off with Acuracare.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
I usually recommend the AcuraCare for MDXs equipped with the ADS shocks. That's a minimum of $700 per corner on the part alone if you end up needing to replace them. For those not equipped, it's a tossup but usually not so much. Much of it depends on the plan length/mileage, as prices vary. There are some real bargains in the AcuraCare warranties, but generally for lower mileage drivers or higher mileage drivers with a shorter time of coverage.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I was shoppinfg as well and I called 2 different Acura dealers and both offered me the warranty with Fidelity. Anybody have use this company? Both dealers told me it was the best option more coverage and little cheaper than the Acura warranty.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I don't think any of us trust third party warranties. Yes coverage may be better on paper, but they will make claims a nightmare.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yea you could be right but you are buying from Directly from Acura you will be dealing with Acura dealer. One thing that I like of this one was same warranty is sell in other dealer like Toyota dealer for example in case an emergency you can take you car to any Toyota dealer as well.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Knew someone who bought an aftermarket warranty on his Odyssey which seemed like it covered everything. He had an issue with his steering wheel audio controls. Turned out it was the airbag cable reel, but since it wasn't affecting his SRS, the aftermarket warranty wouldn't cover it. YMMV.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts