Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently started test driving wagons and SUVs to replace my 1991 Honda Accord Wagon. This weekend I drove the MDX at two dealers, and decided I like it enough to move forward assuming that I can put my hands on one. The two dealers are Hopkins Acura in Redwood City and Mike Harvey Acura in Burlingame. Both sales people were very knowledgeable and gave me great test drives, taking me up in the hills on curvy roads, finding speed bumps, and freeway driving. By comparison, all the other test drives have been less helpful with the salesperson letting me drive one freeway exit and turn around.

At Hopkins, they sell the car for MSRP, you pay a $1000 deposit, and you go on the waiting list. They said that if you get on the list now, the car will arrive in August (4 months). They said that this is a worst case scenario and that as people drop off the list, the cars get delivered quicker. They are currently getting 15 MDXs/month.

At Mike Harvey, they had about 8-12 MDXs on the loot, but they were all sold. They had 3 cars available for delivery in two weeks. I decided that I need the navigation system, but I am on the fence about the touring package. I think I would prefer to get the touring package, but none of the options are must-haves and I expect I will have to rip out the roof rack and put in a better rack for my windsurfers. My first choice in color is white, but I am also willing to go for silver or the new blue. It turns out they could sell me a silver base model with Navigation system--for delivery in 2 weeks. I wasn't really planning to buy today, but somehow I ended up negotiating the price with them. They started out asking for $4,000 markup over MSRP. I, of course, said that I was not willing to consider paying any markup over MSRP. The sales person said that they have not sold any MDX's without markup and/or expensive accesories. I do want floor mats, cargo liner, and side molding, so I let them give me quotes for them--about $1,000 while the Acura website lists these options installed for $496 (and they are available from hondaacuraworld for a bit over $350). Then we started talking about trading in my 1994 Honda Del Sol S. I kept telling the sales person to give me her card, and I will let you know what I think. The manager finally came out, and before I left they offered me the car for MSRP if I would take $3500 in trade for my Del Sol.

I was wavering at this point, but I really hadn't walked in there ready to buy a car. Not sure if I should hold out for the touring package, not sure if I should deal with Mike Harvey, and needing to sleep on it and see if I feel like buying this car in the moring. Its hard for me to know what my Del Sol is really worth, and how much its worth to me to avoid the hassle of selling it myself. I took the sales person's card and told her I needed to think about it and sleep on it.

Anyway, Id love to hear your advice.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
By all the posts on here for the past year, Mike Harvey is out to get what he can. The best dealers have been identified as Hopkins in Redwood City (but LONG wait), Prestige in Santa Rosa, Concord Acura seems to vary but is better than they used to be according to recent posts, Have heard nothing good about Oakland or Pleasanton Acura, nothing that good or that bad about Serramonte, Stevens Creek and Sunnyvale tend to either want to go over MSRP or load you on unwanted (and not cheap accessories), Los Gatos I have read good and bad, Niello in Sacramento is supposed to be very good.. if you don't mind the drive.
Solano and Marin, apparently are not very accommodating. Do you want to wait until August to get a 2002? The 2003s will be out a couple of month later.
Always better to get on the BlueBook or NADA website, find out what your car is really worth and sell it outright. You will always lose on a trade-in, or end up with a dealer trying to jack around the price on a new vehicle. Better to close a deal with dealer, then ask him what he will give you for your car. Lock down the new car price first. If you pay over MSRP for the MDX you are paying too much. And don't take forced accesories, whether you want them or not. You can alway get them later and cheaper.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Welcome mikel51

I don't know your zip code or the miles you have on your honda, but go to this site and fill out the form and perhaps you can get an idea of the trade in value of your car. You can also see the price you can expect should you decide to sell it yourself. Using my zip and 100000 miles, and not knowing what "goodies" you have, I got a figure of $3565 for your del sol. I think it would be higher in your area code, and perhaps you don't have that many miles on it. Anyway, check out the site and see if that helps you.

Based on your description, IMHO I would not want to do business with a dealer that applied the type of pressure you described. I would be willing to wait to deal with a more accomodating dealer, and I certainly would not pay MORE than MSRP. But then that is just me.

Good hope, and I hope this has been helpful.

·
Registered
56 Posts
GO TO SACRAMENTO

Drive a little up I-80 to NIELLO ACURA in Sacramento. They have a great dealership. I have bought from them twice. Both times a pleasure.

Service is good too.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I was on waiting list at 3 dealerships in the Bay area.

1. Sunnyvale Acura: At that time, they had 2K over sticker, later dropped it to about $500 in forced accessories. Not too bad.

2. Stevens Creek Acura: $1185 in forced accessories. It's about $400 over what Acura is asking. Nice folks, straight forward.

3. Hopkins Acura: The best of the breek. Mike Andrews knew the product very well. No mark up, no force accessories. However, the wait for my car was about 10 months.

I felt that other dealerships were not worth pursuing. I finally bought mine in LA (Cerritos) as they had the vehicle available when I needed it.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Join the club, buddy!!!
I got tired of waiting myself. I even went to a broker, and it was bad enough he could not find a dealer with MSRP but naturally there is his charge too!

So the end of the month the wife and I fly down to LAX, High Desert Imports picks us up and takes us to Palm Springs where our baby is waiting to be driven home!
Tour + Navi MSRP plus Towing Pkg installed. Granite Green. Yeah!!!!!!!!
I am getting my deposit back from Michael at Hopkins. Nice guy, but he didn't have a car.

·
Registered
138 Posts
mikel51,
The supply of MDX in bay area is supposed to be better now, but dealers seem not ready to advertise it. Many people have reported their waiting time is shorter than originally estimated. You probably should deal with multiple dealers to get best deal (price, wait time or choices). Try to bargain with the SR or contact the dealer through their internet presence. I found some SRs have more room to negotiate. The dealer rating in this website gives you pretty good ideal other folks experience with each dealer. Good luck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Prestige

Got mine from Presitge in Santa Rosa. MSRP. 1.5 month wait (they will tell tow the company line of "3-4 months".) Very honest. Tend to prefer "locals" but will place you on the waiting list (0 cash down).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I lived in the Bay Area and just got my GG MDX two weeks ago from Hopkins. The wait time is actually not that long and they have been the most honest dealer I have ever seen. I put down the deposit in early January and was told that the wait time is about 6-8 months. Got a call from the dealer in early March and told that my order moved up because somebody took back the order. The car will be built in late March to early April and will be delivered in mid April. Got another call one week later and told that another person passed the car because he is not ready to buy yet. The car has been built already and will be delivered on 3/25. The color and configuration is the same. From the time I put down the deposit to the time I picked up the car is only a little bit over two months.
it is really not that long for me and I used most of this time to do research on this site and hondacuraworld and learned a lot about MDX.

Mike Andrews handled my order and he is absolutely the best. They don't force to sell you anything. The service level is 5 star as advertised on this site.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Congratulations! Mike is great. I was probably about 3 people behind you on the list. I signed up in March, but some people dropped out. I had orginally ordered a Base + Nav which is the least produced model. But I did change my request and color became a problem.
I tried a broker, but they just want bucks and he did not believe dealers were really MSRP. So I just went on my own and called around one day, and landed one in the 'desert' that gets delivered the end of the month. So I fly down with the wife to pick it up and drive back. In fact Michael called me this morning and I told him, I just found one but I would still always recommend him. So I ended up getting a Tour + Nav anyway, and in GG too!

·
Registered
411 Posts
One more Kudos for Michael Andrews

Here is one more for Michael Andrews of Hopkins. He is the best sales person I have ever met in my life. He was honest, very straight forward and had a real willingness to listen and help. Unfortunately, I could not buy my MDX from him. Due to a trasistion from 2001 to 2002, a lot of folks decided to push it back to 2002s. I was one of the first ones to order a 2002, but due to push backs from existing orders, mine got pushed off.

At the time I bought my car (Mid Nov), the estimated date of delivery from Hopkins was Mid March. I am sure, if I waited, I would probably have gotten it sooner. No regrets from where I bought my car, but certainly would have liked to buy it from Hopkins.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A question to all of you who wanted to buy from Hopkins, but didn't due to the long wait. Do you go to Hopkins for service? Can you depend on them for good service even if you purchased the car from another dealer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
GOT ONE

Following DaleB's advice, I sent emails to all the dealers in the area yesterday. Niello in Sacramento has a Mesa Beige that is arriving towards the end of next week. I snared it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had good luck with Niello in Sacramento. I bought at MSRP and they threw in mud flaps and wheel locks at no cost. The wait for me was five months but I understand that the wait is shorter today.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts