Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vehicle is a 2005 Acura MDX. My condenser fan works fine however my cooling fan never goes on. I’ve checked all the fuses and relays and they are all good. The next thing I want to check is the fan switch before I assume I need a new fan. However I’m having Trouble locating where it’s at. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Attached. Note, since condenser fan is also actuated by ECT sensed temp, fault would appear to be radiator fan. check for power to fan w/ AC on. If present, then faulty radiator fan.

good luck

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, so stupid question...
Is a “Engine Coolant Temp sensor” and a “Cooling Fan switch sensor” two names for the same thing? Or different things?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
See circuit diagram, MDX uses ECT to control fans.

good luck

·
Registered
962 Posts
My quick check test to find out if it is a bad fan is to remove the relay and put a jumper in.

If you have the larger style fan relay, it will look like this:

The two male connectors that are copper-colored are the power contacts of the relay. By installing a jumper in the relay box socket where those connectors plug in, you are providing a direct path for the 12 volts, with no regard for the various control elements that normally energize the fan. I made up the jumper in the photo, but a short piece of wire with bare ends works fine for a quick test.

Important:

1. If you jump the other side of the relay circuit (silver connectors) by mistake, you may damage the circuit.

2. You must confirm with a test light or voltmeter that there is 12 volts available at the feed side of the relay socket.

If you have the smaller style relay, the power connectors are the ones at the bottom of this photo:

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
A relay jumper test does not eliminate a faulty wire or connector. Less likely than a failed fan but possible.

good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts