Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing dash cam using hardwire kit on the driver side fuse box for my MDX 2014. I'm having difficult time finding a good place to ground.

Can anyone show me where is the good place to ground? Currently I just wrap the bare ground wire to the metal (which is probably wrong :)) in that area. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Is there any place to ground if I open the "Kick Panel" (not sure how to open yet)

·
Registered
2018 MDX SH-AWD Tech package
577 Posts
You have several nuts in the area. Put the ground wire under one of them and secure it back down.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. Some of the nuts there are welded, others are kinda difficult to reach without proper tool.

I ended up buying bolt & nuts from Home Depot and used one of the hole in that area to ground it. See the attached photo. Hopefully it can help someone with similar problem as I do.

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
Was working in the dash today. Happened to notice something in behind... a slew of ground points. Just thought I’d post it in case someone else needs it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where do you ground "Add a Circuit Fuse Tap" for driver side fuse box?

Thanks for sharing!

There is 1 ground point in the driver side kick panel as well. I didn’t know how to open the kick panel at the time I created this thread. I still find the one I added convenient :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just installed one in my 17 Hybrid. In the front passenger foot well there is a fuse box with a spare 5A fuse. I used an add-a-fuse in that and grounded it in one of the dashboard mounting screws.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

There is 1 ground point in the driver side kick panel as well. I didn’t know how to open the kick panel at the time I created this thread. I still find the one I added convenient :)

Since you had the driver footwell torn apart by any chance did you get a sense of what the footrest / dead pedal is comprised of under the carpet?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just installed one in my 17 Hybrid. In the front passenger foot well there is a fuse box with a spare 5A fuse. I used an add-a-fuse in that and grounded it in one of the dashboard mounting screws.

I just hardwired my dash cam on the 2017 Hybrid on the passenger side fuse box. I used fuse location 21 (7.5A option) because it turned on and off with the MDX. I may be mistaken but it looked like fuse location 10 (5A Spare) was always on. I grounded the dash cam using the bolt at the top of the fuse box.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
I just hardwired my dash cam on the 2017 Hybrid on the passenger side fuse box. I used fuse location 21 (7.5A option) because it turned on and off with the MDX. I may be mistaken but it looked like fuse location 10 (5A Spare) was always on. I grounded the dash cam using the bolt at the top of the fuse box.
Another good option! I used the 5A always on fuse as I wanted to use the parking protection feature on my cam. The install kit comes with a doo-dadd that will cut the cam power when source voltage hits 11.5v, theoretically leaving enough juice to start the car. I have left my car in the airport garage in Hartford CT for a week, sub zero C temps, forgetting to unplug the cam, and have had no power drain issue.

·
Registered
837 Posts
My dashcam uses the cigarette lighter. though I have hidden the cable in the A pillar and roof liner on its way to the dash cam. I need to use the cigarette lighter because my car is still under warranty. I had electrical issues (warning lights, etc) and the dealer said it was likely caused by having my dashcam being hard wired so they were not going to try to fix it. I politely pointed out that I was using the cigarette lighter so they embarrassingly capitulated.

·
Registered
252 Posts
That totally doesn’t make any sense and the dealer is full of crap. I have added additional equipment to every vehicle I’ve owned and never any problems. No way that adding an extra circuit will damage the electrical system. Unless you remove wires you shouldn’t, or forget to reattach the ground, or maybe if you pull your power from the airbag system...

I definitely wouldn’t expect them to troubleshoot your dashcam for you though if it ever acts up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts