Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody? The few places I found it online are charging more for the shipping than for the fluid. Trans fluid is easy to find on Amazon, but DPSF is nowhere to be seen. Is it really a dealer-only item, because my dealer is kind of far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anybody? The few places I found it online are charging more for the shipping than for the fluid. Trans fluid is easy to find on Amazon, but DPSF is nowhere to be seen. Is it really a dealer-only item, because my dealer is kind of far.
My local Honda dealer can't get Honda Dual Pump Fluid II due to the supply chain crisis. They are substituting Acura DPSF instead. Looks and smells the same to me. Cost was $20 with tax for 2 quarts.

Why did Honda make spare tire removal, fill bolt, and drain bolt access such a pain in the neck? Oh right, to drive owners to the dealerships! Drain and fills are routine maintenance and should be easy. I did this at the 5 year mark of the wife's 2017 Honda Pilot Elite AWD. Expect the bolts to be seized, so "man up" not "pride down". Process should be practically identical for Acura 3rd gen MDX.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
^^ I've changed the differential fluid in my 2014 MDX multiple times now and it's what I'd consider 'very easy'. There's really not much to it. Dropping the spare takes only a few minutes and it's a good time to check the air pressure in it anyway, which almost certainly will be too low and need to have some air added. Some MDXs don't even have spare tires.

The drain bolts are very accessible - they're just right there. I had no issues removing my bolts but I didn't wait 5 years to do it since I hit the MM for it much sooner than that, and it helps that I don't live in a rust belt area. Always start with removing the fill bolt first just in case there's an issue with it being seized (i.e. can drain but not refill).

Changing the diff fluid is truly one of the simplest maintenance tasks on the MDX - outside of the engine and cabin air filters. It's quicker and simpler than changing the oil/oil filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
^^ I've changed the differential fluid in my 2014 MDX multiple times now and it's what I'd consider 'very easy'. There's really not much to it. Dropping the spare takes only a few minutes and it's a good time to check the air pressure in it anyway, which almost certainly will be too low and need to have some air added. Some MDXs don't even have spare tires.

The drain bolts are very accessible - they're just right there. I had no issues removing my bolts but I didn't wait 5 years to do it since I hit the MM for it much sooner than that, and it helps that I don't live in a rust belt area. Always start with removing the fill bolt first just in case there's an issue with it being seized (i.e. can drain but not refill).

Changing the diff fluid is truly one of the simplest maintenance tasks on the MDX - outside of the engine and cabin air filters. It's quicker and simpler than changing the oil/oil filter.
I was spoiled by my 3rd gen CR-V. I can change the rear differential fluid without dropping a spare tire and its fill and drain bolts are easier to torque too. The dealership did the last rear diff fluid change for the previous owner of the Pilot Elite. I did this one at the 5 year mark because I'm lazy and it's close enough to the oil/filter/coolant change interval.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Like everyone said eBay....bought more than a few times in the past without any issues at reasonable prices. I thought the transfer case (Honda Hypoid GL-5) fluid is more expensive / harder to find (still available on ebay) - I am going to use Mobil 1 75W 90 (or equivalent) for the future though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts