Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read lots of posts about Manik side-steps, seen the pics, and want to get some. Where is the best place to get them? 'Best' includes customer service, price, shipping cost, etc. (not necessarily in that order!)

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I've been 'round n' round on these. The demand is high, and the supply low. I should have ordered mine earlier. The best is probably Nordleth (.com) For price and service. Unfortunately, you have to fax or call in your order. They are not automated. You join them (free) and get a discount. $387 delivered. That's the average price.
Best Darn Parts and Truckstuff USA are the most expensive, with no assurance you will get them any earlier. With many you wil get shipped from Nevada or California warehouses. Bigger outfits like TruckStuff USA have warehouses all over. But if they are waiting for production (Manik is in S. Calif.) it does not mean much anyway.
I would avoid Gogrilleguards.com . They will charge before shipping, and are very slow at responding to either email or phone calls.
Good luck! I still think they are worth the wait! I am sure there are other vendors I left out, but prices about the same. If you order the black and not stainless, I imagine the wait is shorter.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
For OEM, Tim @ Hondacuraworld enought said :)

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
OEM from Tim

And then had them powdercoated silver:2:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are the OEMs from 'Tim' (Code: 08L33-S3V-200F Retail: $549.00 Your Price: $432.99) the same as the ones I could get from my local dealer (if I wanted to pay the price)?

I'm asking for two reasons: First, I saw the ones the dealer puts on and they are really nice. Second, depending on the shipping cost, it might not be all that more expensive and might be quicker to get them locally.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Yea, the ones msu, Rail and I had powdercoated are the OEM from Tim. Shipping's included, no sales tax outside of NY, and they're easy to install. Lotsa bolts (72) to assemble the brackets but a reasonable DIY job. I bet you'd save close to half getting them from Tim and installing yourself :)

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
AcuraMDX2002 said:
Are the OEMs from 'Tim' (Code: 08L33-S3V-200F Retail: $549.00 Your Price: $432.99) the same as the ones I could get from my local dealer (if I wanted to pay the price)?

I'm asking for two reasons: First, I saw the ones the dealer puts on and they are really nice. Second, depending on the shipping cost, it might not be all that more expensive and might be quicker to get them locally.

Well if it hasnt been answered all Tim charges is a $2 Handling fee no tax, shipping included in price.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm gong to stop at my local friendly dealer today to find out how much it's going to cost (not including installation) and I'll post it here so we can all see the difference - I would guess the price will be around $600.00. We'll see. I'll also ask for an estimate on installation so we can all see how much we're saving by doing it ourselves.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Has anyone noticed ...

... that the design/pattern on the pads for the OEM Steps matches the "footprint" pattern on the rear bumper:2:

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
AcuraMDX2002 said:
I'm gong to stop at my local friendly dealer today to find out how much it's going to cost (not including installation) and I'll post it here so we can all see the difference - I would guess the price will be around $600.00. We'll see. I'll also ask for an estimate on installation so we can all see how much we're saving by doing it ourselves.
I know I save a ton of money buying options from Tim and installing it myself. Qouted price for splash guard $96 from the Dealers, from Tim $48 and it took 30 mins to install. SS they were qouted @ 1K from Tim I got them for 432. Well you see the savings.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I almost hate to post this, but my dealer BEAT Tim's price (I inadvertently told him the wrong price) but I had to pay sales tax (6%) so the total was a little more than I would've paid if I ordered them, but I got them today and put them on when I got home - theuy are really cool. And to think that I almost got the running boards....:D

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
AcuraMDX2002 said:
I almost hate to post this, but my dealer BEAT Tim's price (I inadvertently told him the wrong price) but I had to pay sales tax (6%) so the total was a little more than I would've paid if I ordered them, but I got them today and put them on when I got home - theuy are really cool. And to think that I almost got the running boards....:D

I actually got raped from my dealer and didn't even get a KISS!!!
It's becomming very competitive out there, more and more retailers are seeing what is going on the internet and trying to match. Good deal I'm sure you'll love them.:2:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The installation of the OEM side steps was easy but time consuming. This post is probably a redundant post from someplace else, but I thought it would be helpful to those who might want to get these and just want to know ahead of time what the installation process is like so they can decide if they want to do it themselves or pay the dealer to do it.

TOOLS: 13mm socket and ratchet with extension for the long bolts, no extension is needed for the short bolts. 13mm open or closed end wrench for the nuts (I used an adjustable wrench); small screw driver to take out the plugs under the vehicle; Torque wrench (if you're a perfectionist!)

PARTS: 2 side steps (left and right); six large brackets and six small brackets; 24 long bolts (13mm); 48 short bolts (13 mm); and 48 nuts for the small bolts (13 mm).

PRE-ASSEMBLY: The six large and small brackets must be bolted together to make six brackets that will be bolted to the bottom of the vehicle. There are three 'receiver' holes in the large brackets and only two on the smaller ones. The reason is to allow you to make two long brackets and four short brackets. The two long ones will be bolted closest to the front of the vehicle and the four shorter ones will go in the middle and rear. Make these six brackets out of the 12 pieces and 24 short bolts and 24 nuts.

REMOVE PLUGS. You do not need to raise the vehicle - it sits high enough to get under it with it on the ground. Lay on your back and look under the vehicle. You will see three pairs of plastic filler plugs on each side - depress the center of the plug and then pry it out. These are the holes for the brackets - notice that the other holes for the brackets don't have plugs - go figure!

INSTALL BRACKETS: Secure them to the bottom of the vehicle with 24 long bolts - don't tighten them, yet.

INSTALL SIDE STEPS: Put the side steps on the ground with something under them to protect them while you line up the brackets on the steps with the brackets on the vehicle that you just installed - make sure the brackets on the steps go 'inside' the brackets on the vehicle - you might need to squeeze them a little. Line up the holes that are furthest under the vehicle - this can be done with the step resting on your feet - and place six small bolts into the holes. Swing the step up to line up the remaining holes, stick the small bolts into the holes and put nuts on the bolts and tighten.

TIGHTEN AND FINISH: Now, get on your back and tighted the other nuts and bolts, long and short, using a torque wrench if you have one, or just tighten them using moderate force. (You will notice that leaving the bolts loose allowed you to make minor adjustments to the side step before tightening so it will be parallel to the vehicle)

It took me about an hour and a half to complete this project only because I was in no hurry and because there are so many nuts and bolts. Have fun.

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Acuramdx2002

you make it sound so easy, which I'm sure it is. I wish I had more free time from work when I originally bought the vehicle so I could of done all the extra's myself. The only positive to having the dealer rape you without a KISS, is the the extra are covered under the extended warranty. So for 7 years or 100,000 miles if anything goes wrong the dealer will replace, but what is the chance you going to have trouble with the extra's 0%.:mad: :8: :28:

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I read in this forum that OEM parts installed by the owner are still covered under the warranty - is that right? I would think my side steps would be covered (as would those purchased from, say, HAW) for manufacturers defects, which is what I would think would be the only problems you could have with them (other than damage which wouldn't be covered under the warranty, right?)

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
AcuraMDX2002 said:
I think I read in this forum that OEM parts installed by the owner are still covered under the warranty - is that right? I would think my side steps would be covered (as would those purchased from, say, HAW) for manufacturers defects, which is what I would think would be the only problems you could have with them (other than damage which wouldn't be covered under the warranty, right?)
I believe if you install them they would be covered for a 30-60 day period. If the dealer rips you off they will include it in the extended warranty. But like you said damage wouldn't be covered under the extended warranty. But you can bet if I even find a chip or minor defect during my warranty I will demand full replacement considering what they charged me initially. It's still much better and wiser to do yourself and not thru the dealer. I was just to busy in my work to consider, so I had the dealer do it. At that point they already raped me so why not go for the gusto!!! Once raped how much worse could it be!!!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm not so sure that getting what you want, when you want it, is necessarily getting raped! I would have normally let the dealer rape me for the side steps, cd changer, cargo net, and roof racks, but I didn't want to wait for delivery (I got this vehicle kinda by luck - it was coming in on the next truck and no one had ordered it!) I also have a pretty honest dealer and a pretty long relationship (this was my 5th Acura in three years) so they kinda steered me in the DIY direction. I went back almost immediately and got the side steps and cargo net - of course they would've installed the steps for me, but it would've been at $75.00 per hour (I would guess 1.5 hours, maybe 2 hours, for $100 - $150 more) which would have still been less than the new car sales guy would've 'sold' them to me for ($650.00).

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
AcuraMDX2002 said:
I'm not so sure that getting what you want, when you want it, is necessarily getting raped! I would have normally let the dealer rape me for the side steps, cd changer, cargo net, and roof racks, but I didn't want to wait for delivery

In my case I received quick delivery at a cost of almost $2000 over msrp and getting overcharged on all of my options. I say raped when I feel I was taken advantage of pretty bad by the dealers. At my time of purchase in Nov of 2001 for a 2002 MDX there was no bargaining just pay or walk. My only other alternative was to go south to florida which was selling at msrp. I figured by the time I shipped it up here with costs or time off from work, I might as well pick it up here and pay the premium.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would've done the same - there's often lots of perceived (on my part) advantage to purchasing locally, especially if it's from a dealer you trust. Today I went back to my dealer to complain (softly) about some of the 'problems' with my one week old MDX. The steering wheel has a bit of play that bothers me; the back seat seems to rattle/squeak; the driver's door doesn't close tightly unless slammed hard. I got absolutely no satisfaction from the service guy so I went right to the sales manager (who is my main contact at this place) and I will receive full satisfaction - no questions asked. Anytime you go to a dealer other than the one you bought the car from, you can only deal with the service department, and they don't seem to understand 'repeat business' when it comes to buying another car.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
Also, you have to remember that Acura doesn't have a system of registration as far as accessories goes.....there's no way of telling what the dealer put on, and what you did yourself.

'Nuff said.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts