Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my 2001 MDX up for sale advertised in the NY TIMES & NEWSDAY (in order to get a 2003 MDX) and have received very few responses. My asking price is fair ( about $33,000 ) since the MDX has only 19,000 miles and is fully loaded. If the MDX is in such tremendous demand, shouldn't that translate to more demand on the used side also? Lots of head-scratching going on here..........:confused:

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Any responses at all?

If you are only getting dealers, you need to re-do the ad.

You should stress: Private Party!

** Fully OPTIONED with TOURING PACK & FACTORY NAVIGATION SYSTEM

** FACTORY WARRANTY TO 50,000 MILES

BEAUTIFUL __{insert color}__ with LIKE NEW __insert color_ LEATHER INTERIOR.

LESS THAN 20K easy miles!

Pay the extra money for <B> bold</B> and don't overlook the L.I. & Surburban newspapers, not only are the rates lows, you get better customers.

There are some buyers on eBay too:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1860593782

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Slapidus:

___I have no idea what an 01 X Touring w/ NAVI w/ that kind of mileage goes for but the E-Bay auctions may give a clue. Watch out for many getting ripped off on the imported Canadian Tourings without knowing the specifics (this would actually help you given an American purchased and warranted vehicle if you were to use this outlet!) but other than that, a lot of “Reserve not met” auctions in the list over the past two to three months. Most of these “Reserve not met” auctions are from new/used car dealers and importers that are playing the game … Here are the present MDX offerings > $10,000 as well as the recently completed ones with the same > $10,000 parameter.

___I don’t know how much it is to list an MDX up there but a ½ hour of research should provide you with all that you need to know. This is just another possible solution for you …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
21 Posts
Here's my $.02.

I wanted an MDX BAD, really BAD. But with less than $33,000 I was able to buy an 03 loaded Pilot. While the MDX is my dream car, I am very satisfied with my purchase. I would say that the people that would have jumped on your 01 six months ago are now taking that money and getting a brand new Pilot with it. (Please, no

:9: !)

I've had my Volvo for sale for 2 months, and no takers. Right now, financing is great on new cars, and so I figure I will have to hold on to her for a while longer to get anywhere close to what she is worth.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
catbert said:
Here's my $.02.

I wanted an MDX BAD, really BAD. But with less than $33,000 I was able to buy an 03 loaded Pilot. While the MDX is my dream car, I am very satisfied with my purchase. I would say that the people that would have jumped on your 01 six months ago are now taking that money and getting a brand new Pilot with it. (Please, no

:9: !)

I've had my Volvo for sale for 2 months, and no takers. Right now, financing is great on new cars, and so I figure I will have to hold on to her for a while longer to get anywhere close to what she is worth.
It's different for everybody. Anybody that really likes an MDX would like mine with only 6K on it. It still runs, smells, and looks still new. And I expect it will for some time now.
While 'new' has a mystique about it, there's nothing like driving what you really wanted in the first place. Even over year old, and 19,000 miles, I am sure slapidus can attest to that.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Have you tried CARMAX?

I sold my car at CARMAX before we bought the 03 Accord last month.

2001 Honda Civic 9500miles for $12995. Not a bad offer since the trade in value is only $9500 at Honda dealer.

Try Carmax, they can appraise your car and will buy it for the quoted price with 300 miles/7 days guarantee.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks.........

Thank you, everyone, for the intelligent, thoughtful, and useful replies to my query. Acura MDX owners clearly are a notch above the rest.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Autotrader.com?

I have had great success selling cars, motorcycles, and trailers on Autotrader.com. I just sold my 2000 BMW 528i Sport last month to a guy in Detroit via this site. (I'm in Pittsburgh) I bought this same car two years ago in Frederick, MD. The great thing about AutoTrader is that they list the car until you sell it, and you reach a much broader geographic area than your local paper. Also, people can contact you via email, which is an easier first step than a phone call. I have been very pleased with it!

I also did the paperwork through my Acura dealer to apply my BMW as a trade to my MDX, which is being built THIS WEEK!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I sold my 2001 MDX Touring in June. FYI, I had basically NO responsed to ads in two newspapers, but many responses to adds posted on two well known car sale websites. I had a few thousand more miles than yours. Ultimately I sold for $32,500 which wasn't bad. Your pricing is probably a little aggressive.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Try Yahoo Autos. Had very good luck selling 2 autos. Got top dollar in just a few days. Didn't think it was even worth a try.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I suspect that the market is changing somewhat:

MDX Supply Issues: "A while ago", the MDXs were very hard to get and people paid MSRP+ for the "priviledge" ... well not any more. We could buy an 02 in Dec 01 at MSRP with no problem.

MDX Value: There really was no difference between an 01 and 02 MDX. The 03 would appear [on paper] to be an improved vehicle at a negligable increase in cost. By that, an 03 Touring w Nav is approx $1,100 - $1,200 more than a comparable 02. BUT they really aren't the same. For that $1,200 bucks you get LOTS of added stuff [Rear view camera, VSC, 20HP, auto up window, auto on/off headlights, rain sensing wipers, smoother ride, quieter, etc.].

Competition: Increasing number of products on the market. Exacerbated by some really "agressive financing" by some brands.

Pilot: Speak of competition! Brand new Pilot with all the main features [except moon roof] at less than a 2 year old vehicle! And it is "66% the same".

Some on this site seem to believe that "the MDX will hold its value well" means that it does not depreciate. Well, that is simply not the case. I would HOPE that our 02 MDX is worth $22,500 in 5 years. That would mean a decrease in value on average of $3,500 per year [note 1st year and 2nd year depreciation will be HIGHER].

NAV systems really depreciate fast! I doubt that the NAV [$2,000 cost] has a residual of $1,000 on a 2 year old vehicle. It is definately an option that one buys to use, NOT because it will have a high residual.

I suspect that you will probably need to adjust your selling price downwards towards $30,000 .... sorry ... please remember, this is just my opinion.

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Yep, ever since the MDX has been released we've all wondered how long could the days of MSRP and MSRP+ would last.

I think the Acura TL stayed at MSRP for about a year and a half, and then the prices dropped dramatically.

With the exception of end-of-model-year discounts, which tend to be small and certainly no where near invoice, the MDX is going two full years.

JMHO -- I think that the third year may finally when we see some discounting off of MSRP. Perhaps in the second half of the year. It will probably vary wildly based on region of the country. You'll find better discounts around Texas and the southeastern states.

This is why competition is great -- it forces everyone to improve.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts