Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the recommended mileage to replace the thermostat for peace of mind? the only way to know is when it fails and the smoke coming out under the hood which is probably the engine is already over heat and probably some damage has been done. How reliable is the Honda thermostat?Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
In my experience (03 MDX on original), very reliable.

Replace when warmup time is slow (> 5 mins of urban driving) or when temp control is lost. I would only use a Honda/Acura part.

good luck

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
You don't need to worry about it since you have a 2011 one with average mileage. If these thermostats begin to fail by certain age and mileage, you will already read a lot of posts about it from owners with 07/08 MDX. Mine is already 12 years and I recently flushed coolant. No desired to touch thermostat in the next 3 years minimum.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. Thank. I used to have 1989 Toyota Camry (around 100k miles) and all the sudden smoke came out from under the hood while driving on the highway and it was caused by stuck thermostat. I just want to prevent this happening again .

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my experience (03 MDX on original), very reliable.

Replace when warmup time is slow (> 5 mins of urban driving) or when temp control is lost. I would only use a Honda/Acura part.

good luck

When you say the temp lost control you mean the temp is not getting as hot as it should be?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Ok. Thank. I used to have 1989 Toyota Camry (around 100k miles) and all the sudden smoke came out from under the hood while driving on the highway and it was caused by stuck thermostat. I just want to prevent this happening again .

That is too bad. I have an old Camry. When its thermostat failed, it stuck to the open position. So on a chilly night driving on the freeway, my water temperature was 1/3 of normal temp. A Honda OEM thermostat is almost 4x the price of an aftermarket one. I hope it is at least engineered to fail at the open position.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The reason I ask the question is because I am about to do a coolant flush on my 2007 TL with 89k miles. I thought this is a good opportunity to replace the thermostat at the same time. When I did a coolant flush on my MDX one year ago I didn’t replace the thermostat. By the way this thermostat part number is used on almost every Honda and Acura since 1991 when I did a part # search on Acura website.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The reason I ask the question is because I am about to do a coolant flush on my 2007 TL with 89k miles. I thought this is a good opportunity to replace the thermostat at the same time. When I did a coolant flush on my MDX one year ago I didn’t replace the thermostat. By the way this thermostat part number is used on almost every Honda and Acura since 1991 when I did a part # search on Acura website.

My X is 2008 with 136K+ miles still with original thermostat.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My 2004 TSX thermostat has 200k miles. I plan on replacing when it's time to replace the radiator or coolant hoses. Same goes for my 2012 MDX, which is under 100k miles and everything looks fine.

Using coolant with anti-corrosion additives and keeping it changed according to the recommended maintenance schedule helps prolong the system.

It's a cheap part so if you're worried and it's keeping you up at night, just replace it.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
It is very interesting that some people insist on using Honda OEM thermostats, which cost $40 when an Aisin one only costs less than $12. Since Aisin makes a lot of parts for Honda/Toyota, Aisin replacements are often considered OEM quality by many. Therefore, the price difference seems abnormal. Anybody actually tried Aisin thermostats for Acura's?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
In 15 years of honda service, I haven´t seen a T-Stat fail on a J-Series... Its more common to see one fail in a 4cyl.
But as @TexasHonda said, The big hint at a failing T-Stat is a long warm up time as the failure occurs when they get stuck Open (Never seen 1 stuck closed).

As for general maintenance well Honda will said to replace at 105K but Honda will try you to change anything to keep the labor cost high. I will say: Replace when faulty which is very rare, And use only GENUINE Honda 2 Stage T-Stat.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
A good case can be made for replacement of thermostat absent any problems as preventive maintenance (easy job, inexpensive part, failure can be catastrophic). The negative case is potential for causing a problem where none exists (failure to install correctly, leak, damage to radiator hose). I don't see a bad choice.

good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
good info. I've been thinking of replacing the thermostat (07 MDX with 116k) while replacing the radiator and hoses (Gates are only $10 each) as preventive maintenance since I'll be in there, but local dealer wants $82 for the part, online dealers are around $55, while AISIN (who is the OEM for the water pump and other parts) are only $20, but sounds like they are really reliable and would likely stuck open when failing. So maybe not...

·
Registered
27 Posts
When I did the timing belt (112k) using the AISIN kit I also replaced the water pump/pulley/tensioner/coolant and serpentine since there is so much labor to get in there, but thermostat is on the other side and can be changed on it's own. After reading about radiator design flaw in early MDX gen2 possibly destroying your tranny from having ATF and coolant mix I figure I would replace it with newer design. Thermostat from AISIN is cheap enough, but it's another thing to change that could go wrong so why fix it if they don't fail...and if they do it's no big deal being stuck open ? changed the coolant twice already in 120k so that should keep corrosion to a minimum.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts