Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a fresh new K & N drop in air filter, and am wondering when would you recommend to put it in, in terms of break in mileage, etc? Does it need to wait for a certain period of time? Or is this of little concern one way or another? Any service techs on the board?

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
Curtsan,

Just open up the airbox and replace it now. If this is your first time opening the airbox, be prepared to apply some heavy torque. The phillips screws holding the cover on are really cranked down tight. Good luck.:)

BTW, if you really want your MDX to breathe, why don't you go with the Manus1980 Custom Air Intake:http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8528

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I can't find a Phillips head screwdriver as long as is needed to even reach the screws! I ended up using a socket and a LONG extension. At least they're hex-headed screws.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Where to buy??

Where did you get your K&N Filter? I've been told by some online parts guys that K&N has not made an '03 filter yet. I don't believe them...but can't seem to locate one either. Thx

·
Registered
8,099 Posts
steventimm,

Do a search on the internet for "K&N Air Filters". There are many suppliers out there. The 2001-2003 Acura MDX's all take the same K&N air filter. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Still waiting for Amsoil to come out with their air filter for the MDX.
Advantages:
Much more complex air paths for more better contamination retention. Air flow should be just as good as K&N as the number of 'possible' air paths is astronomical.
Maintenance is the same process.
Given all that, I still think the K&N has superior perfromance against any conventional filter, as well as excellent construction.
There is some contraversy with regards to it's filtering ability, but nothing is conclusive. Especially considering how long they have been around (30+ years), how many have been sold, and the relatively few complaints.

·
Registered
653 Posts
DaleB said:
Still waiting for Amsoil to come out with their air filter for the MDX.
Advantages:
Much more complex air paths for more better contamination retention. Air flow should be just as good as K&N as the number of 'possible' air paths is astronomical.
Maintenance is the same process.
DaleB, did you buy either a K&N or Amsoil for the X yet? After reading your post and a little research, looks like I am leaning towards the Amsoil filter myself. Looks like they still do not have one for the X yet, but I think they can make it as a custom and the cost will be around the same as a K&N. If I never found out about the Amsoil, I would have just bought the K&N. I sent them an e-mail to find out if they could make it for the X.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
m2pc said:

DaleB, did you buy either a K&N or Amsoil for the X yet? After reading your post and a little research, looks like I am leaning towards the Amsoil filter myself. Looks like they still do not have one for the X yet, but I think they can make it as a custom and the cost will be around the same as a K&N. If I never found out about the Amsoil, I would have just bought the K&N. I sent them an e-mail to find out if they could make it for the X.
I've had a K&N since the X was new. I thought also of cutting an amsoil to fit. I believe they have a generic one, or you can get the measurements and work it from there. Amsoil works so much with private dealers its hard to get much info about them.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Well, they just replied to me and stated that they don't have anything for the X yet and also that they no longer have the custom program. Oh well....

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
m2pc said:
Well, they just replied to me and stated that they don't have anything for the X yet and also that they no longer have the custom program. Oh well....
Compared to the old Amsoil company, it appears they have cut back on advertising and customer service to save money. just want to keep pushing product through their resellers.

·
Registered
587 Posts
When I contacted Amsoil (in Canada) for information on purchasing their products I received more calls about becoming one of their distributors than I did about the products I was intrested in.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
feliz said:
When I contacted Amsoil (in Canada) for information on purchasing their products I received more calls about becoming one of their distributors than I did about the products I was intrested in.
That's the way they seem to be going now. I have a friend who used to sell it on the side. He is an RVer, so those folks really like synthetic fluids, esp. ATF.
He said when Mobil I went to a full synthetic (no petroleum carrier) he didn't think Amsoil was good enough to justify the additional price, unless you really intended to do these prolonged oil changes like 10,000 miles.
He finally got out. He said it became more difficult to get info from the company on applications, or when they would be released. He had to keep telling people, I will tell you as soon as I hear something.
I am not knocking their products, in general they are superior to most around. But how much better do you really need? And who will ever realize the difference.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Dale, thanks for pointing out Amsoil, I feel more comfortable with their replacement drop in filter. I am considering their synthetic oil for my 1998 ES300, even though I will still change from 5,000 to 7,500 mile anyways. Here is the reasoning for me:

1. 1997-2002, certain Toyota/Lexus V-6 engines have been said to have a tendency to sludge up and ruin the engine. This may be a combination user & engine design issue. Synthetics are more resistant to this.

2. Found a dealer is selling below retail without having to join their "preferred" club. This makes it about the same cost as Mobil1.

3. If I change myself, with OEM filter &washer, 5 qts Amsoil, cost will be $33.50, still beats the dealer asking price of """$50.00""":eek:

Sorry for the long post, but after researching, they fit my needs. Any thoughts on their ATF? Their web site states it could be used for Honda Z1 or Toyota T4 ATF.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
m2pc said:
Dale, thanks for pointing out Amsoil, I feel more comfortable with their replacement drop in filter. I am considering their synthetic oil for my 1998 ES300, even though I will still change from 5,000 to 7,500 mile anyways. Here is the reasoning for me:

1. 1997-2002, certain Toyota/Lexus V-6 engines have been said to have a tendency to sludge up and ruin the engine. This may be a combination user & engine design issue. Synthetics are more resistant to this.

2. Found a dealer is selling below retail without having to join their "preferred" club. This makes it about the same cost as Mobil1.

3. If I change myself, with OEM filter &washer, 5 qts Amsoil, cost will be $33.50, still beats the dealer asking price of """$50.00""":eek:

Sorry for the long post, but after researching, they fit my needs. Any thoughts on their ATF? Their web site states it could be used for Honda Z1 or Toyota T4 ATF.
Well, hopefully you are not using an oil to compensate for a design problem. But I suppose it's better to hedge off any problems if it can be done fairly economically.

I have read enough even on this forum, for me to be wary of any fluids other than Honda when it comes to ATF, brake fluid, power steering fluid, or coolant. I am not convinced any after-market replacements exceed, let alone equal Honda's in this regard. I don't believe it is necessarily what's better or worse, but rather what's unique.
The owner's manual is quite specific in regards to those areas. When it comes to motor oil they don't seem to have a problem with equivalents. I don't know enough to say there are true equivalents available for the others. I can't speak for Toyota's recommendations.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
We just learned the Honda brake fluid is silicone based and the system needs to be flushed if you use another in an emergency.

Plus, the few ATFs that claim to meet Honda/Acura requirements do not state the exact requirement they are meeting, as they do for Chrysler, Ford and GM. Maybe honda is just secretive..whatever...

And do we know ZF-1 is not a synthetic, or blend? No, we do not.
But Tim's rather crude test of putting 3 ATF brands outside the door on a freezing wintery day, and finding many hours later the ZF-1 was still flowing with ease compared with the other off the shelf brands does give me pause.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Good points, and thanks for the advice. For the X, only Honda Products. I think I read somewhere that Tim did't sell the fluids via net orders, thats unfortunate :(

·
Registered
80 Posts
best buy

Has anyone purchased a K and N air filter online? If so where is the best price? I tried Pep Boys out here in So cal but they don`t stock it have to special order so extra cost involved. Epionions had no referals for best prices to buy either........thanks

·
Registered
183 Posts
DaleB said:
We just learned the Honda brake fluid is silicone based and the system needs to be flushed if you use another in an emergency.
Hi Dale,

Are you absolutely sure it's silicone based? Silicone based fluid is DOT 5 rated...

Here's a pic:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts