Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 MDX w/ 205,000 miles. Changed it once at 105k, and dealer wants me back tomorrow for a second one. The car looks brand new, all highway miles, but with a book value of $8k, I hate pouring money in knowing the value will just keep going down with mileage. Curious when people typically do the second change, how critical the 105k mile intervals are, etc? Thanks in advance for any insight!

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
It's due for the timing belt every 105k or 7 years, whichever comes first.

Whether you do it, or not, is up to you. If you want to drive it until it snaps, then junk it, then don't change it.

If you want the vehicle to last, then do the timing belt (and water pump, idler pulleys, spark plugs, valve adjustment, etc).

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I suppose it depends how long you plan to keep running it. I think the 105k is quite conservative, particularly for someone driving mostly highway. If the intention is to keep the car another 50k-100k miles then you might as well just get it over with. I'd be inclined to use an independent mechanic though and save a few hundo, or maybe more depending upon how much your dealer charges.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
2012 MDX w/ 205,000 miles. Changed it once at 105k, and dealer wants me back tomorrow for a second one. The car looks brand new, all highway miles, but with a book value of $8k, I hate pouring money in knowing the value will just keep going down with mileage. Curious when people typically do the second change, how critical the 105k mile intervals are, etc? Thanks in advance for any insight!
At this stage, what is important is not the car's market value, it is how much car you can get out of this MDX. Just get it done and do it right.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Value will be reduced by 50% at least if TB breaks vs spending $1K for TB job. Looks like pretty good investment. No one can predict how likely your belt is to fail unexpectedly.

good luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, the car looks brand new and I hope to drive it another 100k miles. I have always serviced on time at the dealer, and 99% long distance driving so hope I will be one of the 300k+ mileage owners (3 more years or so), maybe more!
I will knock it out at 210k, thanks!

·
Registered
961 Posts
What I used to advise my customers:

Whenever a large dollar service (either repair or maintenance) is coming due, survey the vehicle for other work that will come due in the next 2 or 3 years. For instance, if you have a rotten exhaust system, low brake linings, and low tread on your tires, then add the cost of those repairs to the total to see how much you will need to spend in the next few years. Obviously you cannot predict some failures or a major accident.

To my mind, this makes the most sense in evaluating your vehicle expense.

·
Registered
793 Posts
When you do the 2nd TB service there are a few extra wear and tear items that push the price up and weren't recommended for the 1st TB service.
#14530-p13-000 =Collar, for the auto adj (for the TB belt adjuster/pulley and bearing 14510-rca-a01)
#14551-rca-a01 timing belt's idler bolt
#31170-rca-a04 Serpentine belt's auto tensioner
6 ea valve cover/spark plug tube seals
2 ea cam seals
There are a couple of other seals that take an additional 45 minutes to get to, but I can't remember what they're called.
Another couple of items, which might be accessible are the:
#91212-r70-a02 front crank seal/oil pump
#91214-rca-a01 main seal.

These extra seals (above) that you don't replaced will end up having, about 9 years and 315,000 miles on them, if you wait till the 3rd TB service. They aren't expected to last that long, so they get replaced at the 2nd TB service.

At the Acura dealer, you'll pay about $1,600 - 2,000 for the 2nd TB with all the new seals and that's not a high price to keep your MDX another 3 years.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I worry dealer techs don’t actually change the seals if they’re not leaking. Even if you ask them. Even if they charge you.

Some people say I have trust issues, though.

The thing is I know for a fact that happens... I and short of watching the work being done (or doing it myself) I don’t know how to guard against it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
When you do the 2nd TB service there are a few extra wear and tear items that push the price up and weren't recommended for the 1st TB service.
#14530-p13-000 =Collar, for the auto adj (for the TB belt adjuster/pulley and bearing 14510-rca-a01)
#14551-rca-a01 timing belt's idler bolt
#31170-rca-a04 Serpentine belt's auto tensioner
6 ea valve cover/spark plug tube seals
2 ea cam seals
There are a couple of other seals that take an additional 45 minutes to get to, but I can't remember what they're called.
Another couple of items, which might be accessible are the:
#91212-r70-a02 front crank seal/oil pump
#91214-rca-a01 main seal.

These extra seals (above) that you don't replaced will end up having, about 9 years and 315,000 miles on them, if you wait till the 3rd TB service. They aren't expected to last that long, so they get replaced at the 2nd TB service.

At the Acura dealer, you'll pay about $1,600 - 2,000 for the 2nd TB with all the new seals and that's not a high price to keep your MDX another 3 years.
Cam Seals are part # 91213-R70-A02
#91214-rca-a01 main seal - this would not typically be done at the same time as the timing belt as it is on the other side of the motor, and requires the transmission to be dropped.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I worry dealer techs don’t actually change the seals if they’re not leaking. Even if you ask them. Even if they charge you.

Some people say I have trust issues, though.

The thing is I know for a fact that happens... I and short of watching the work being done (or doing it myself) I don’t know how to guard against it.
I do not know if you have trust issues or not. However, I do know your statement about dealers charging for work they do not do is absolutely true. In fact, based on my experience with Toyota, Lexus and Acura dealers, this is done fairly routinely. Many times the Service Manager and Service Writers do not know.

·
Registered
496 Posts
You ask for ALL of the old parts that was replaced back in a box! Say you're going to lay it out & take pictures to document the great service from xxx stealership!

But, the 2 main words for this model "interference engine"

That's what makes you decide to keep the vehicle or sell it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.