Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Rear dif when the minder says. Air filters probably have a mileage thing. With my 2nd generation, I let the dealer suggest air filter; then buy my own from them and install them.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Usually the MID will call for the first differential fluid at the service nearest 15k miles, then appox every 30k miles after that.

Air and pollen filters typically around 30k.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Skinny is correct. The first one is early at 15K because it is break in fluid. (That is what the dealer told me).

·
Registered
112 Posts
Also:

Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle
speeds or trailer towing results in higher level of
mechanical (Shear) stress to fluid. This requires
differential fluid changes more frequently than
recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you
regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions,
have the differential fluid changed at 7,500 miles
(12,000km), then every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).

·
Registered
961 Posts
Also:

Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle
speeds or trailer towing results in higher level of
mechanical (Shear) stress to fluid. This requires
differential fluid changes more frequently than
recommended by the Maintenance Minder. If you
regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions,
have the differential fluid changed at 7,500 miles
(12,000km), then every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).
^^This

Also if driving in muddy or snow conditions where wheel slip is encountered.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Reminder that first gen. (2001-2006) MDX takes VTM-4 Fluid, 2007 to current takes DPSF.

DPSF part # is: 08200-9007A

Note the "A" suffix to differentiate it from the Honda Dual Pump fluid. Available from discount Acura dealers for under $8 a quart. Simple drain and fill. Good to change the aluminum sealing washers every 2 or 3 times. An honest independent shop should charge for no more than 15 minutes labor if done when your car is on the lift for other work like an oil change. Actually takes less than 10 minutes if filling with a manual suction gun or fluid pump.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My 2014 MDX SH-AWD now has 34000+ miles and is due again for a B1 service. The maintenance minder has never ever prompted me for a 6 service (rear differential fluid change). Should I have it done with the B1 service when I take the MDX to the dealer? Or should I just wait for the minder to prompt me for this? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
My 2014 MDX SH-AWD now has 34000+ miles and is due again for a B1 service. The maintenance minder has never ever prompted me for a 6 service (rear differential fluid change). Should I have it done with the B1 service when I take the MDX to the dealer? Or should I just wait for the minder to prompt me for this? Thanks!
Did by chance you do one of the first couple services before the MID hit 15% and gave you the codes? I've seen some cases in the past where the 6 never came up because of early service being performed. I would get it done at the next service either way. It's not expensive.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Did by chance you do one of the first couple services before the MID hit 15% and gave you the codes? I've seen some cases in the past where the 6 never came up because of early service being performed. I would get it done at the next service either way. It's not expensive.
Thanks for answering my question. You're probably right. IIRC, the 2nd scheduled maintenance was done at 20%. I would have it done this time.

·
Registered
25 Posts
How much DPSF is needed to do a drain and fill on a 2015 AWD? I see they are packaging by quart rather than the jug VTM4 came in and only used 3/4 of that.

Is doing it basically the same procedure as on our 2004 (VTM4).

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Same here. I had my 15,000 done early. I'm having the rear diff on Thursday. I have 30,000 miles

·
Registered
268 Posts
How much DPSF is needed to do a drain and fill on a 2015 AWD? I see they are packaging by quart rather than the jug VTM4 came in and only used 3/4 of that.

Is doing it basically the same procedure as on our 2004 (VTM4).
According to the owners manual, the 2015 SH-AWD calls for 2.7 quarts of DPSF.

I found this on page 485.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.