Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new here and totally new to Acura. Hoping for a long and trouble free relationship with a 2014 MDX Elite. I’m looking for a wheel upgrade to set it apart from the many other white MDXs in my town. The 3rd gen. show launch unit has beautiful wheels that I haven’t seen on the road. Can anyone help me find a set, or tell me if Acura ever put them on production models. Here’s a picture. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I'm not sure if they ever produced that specific wheel... I haven't seen it.

I've had bad experience with "aftermarket" wheels so I would stick with OEM, if it were me.

But the 2014 MDX has a 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern, and that's fairly common among Honda/Acura products so you should find lots of acceptable "factory" wheel choices.

I believe the following are compatible with your 2014 (but double check before you buy)

2013-2018 ILX
2003-2007 MDX
2014-2016 MDX
All years of RDX
1997-2004 RL
1996-2009 TL
2004-2014 TSX
2015-2018 TLX

1990-2017 Accord
2006-2018 Civic
2009-2016 Crosstour
1997-2016 CR-V
2003-2011 Element
2014-2018 HR-V
2003-2008 Pilot

·
Registered
577 Posts
Do be careful about aftermarket wheels, and particularly if you want to up the wheel diameter. The larger wheels use tires with lower sidewalls, which in turn can increase the the tire and wheel failure rate (think potholes). Even if you use the same size many aftermarket wheels have lower load ratings. And I found that there are relatively few available with a +55mm offset. There are other threads here that can be helpful.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Do be careful about aftermarket wheels, and particularly if you want to up the wheel diameter. The larger wheels use tires with lower sidewalls, which in turn can increase the the tire and wheel failure rate (think potholes). Even if you use the same size many aftermarket wheels have lower load ratings. And I found that there are relatively few available with a +55mm offset. There are other threads here that can be helpful.
Definitely pay attention to this. The sidewall on the 20" MDX isn't that large to begin with, so getting larger wheels will only exasperate this. Small sidewalls definitely will lead to wheel damage from potholes etc because there's less cushion and clearance.

The stock 20's on my FX35 had a large sidewall to start with, so going up to a 22" wheel still resulted in plenty of sidewall. The same would not hold true on the MDX, I'd be very skeptical about going much above 20" on this vehicle. 21" would probably be about the maximum. Anything over that could work but you'd be running on rubber bands.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Slightly different question, but also pertaining to wheel upgrade for the MDX.

Has anyone installed black wheels, either factory Berlina or aftermarket, on the MDX? I'd be curious for pictures/examples of MDX's with 20" black wheels. They look really sharp on white, and possibly would look sharp on the lunar silver metallic. Not sure how they'd look on modern steel metallic however.

In any event, if anyone has pics or examples of wheels they'd like to share that would help!

On eBay there is an acura dealer that sells the brand new Berlina set for $1,500 with shipping. Much cheaper than the $2k plus tax the dealer wants to charge.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
^^ Yesterday I happened to walk past an Acura dealership and they had an MDX with black wheels outside in front on display. You might want to check at your Acura dealer to see if they have any that you could just look at - they might.

I happened to dislike black wheels on any vehicle very much so I'd have no interest in them and wouldn't buy a vehicle if it had black wheels but this is just a matter of personal taste.

·
Registered
608 Posts
^^ Yesterday I happened to walk past an Acura dealership and they had an MDX with black wheels outside in front on display. You might want to check at your Acura dealer to see if they have any that you could just look at - they might.

I happened to dislike black wheels on any vehicle very much so I'd have no interest in them and wouldn't buy a vehicle if it had black wheels but this is just a matter of personal taste.
I was there this weekend and they didn't. I can see pictures online, but they primarily are of the white MDX with the OEM Berlina wheels. I'd be interested in seeing how these, or even aftermarket black wheels, look on Lunar Silver and Modern Steel also.

Plus if anyone has suggestions on 20" aftermarket black wheels that look great on the MDX I'm open to that too!

I hear you on the look of black wheels. Normally I dislike them too, but I think if the vehicle is a light color then the black wheels offset nicely and really look great. Only thing I'm not sure about is if I'd prefer the gloss on the OEM black wheels or some aftermarket rims with more of a matte black finish.

·
Registered
608 Posts
As an example, here is a sample picture on Acurazine of a White MDX with Chrome Advance running boards and black wheels, personally I think this combo looks awesome. But black wheels definitely don't look good on all colors.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I was just reading an article on how much in debt Americans are. Personally I like the factory wheels. To me those black ones look like someone rattlecanned them with black spray paint. But we all have our own preferences.

When buying an upgrade like wheels, or any major purchase, ask yourself what I will have to give up for these/this. Example - if the wheels cost someone $2000 total and they have a 19% credit card with a balance of $2000 on it that takes them 3 years to pay off, they will pay $73.31 a month which totals $2,639.23. When they sell the car the buyer is unlikely to pay extra for the wheels so the wheels really cost them $2,639.23. If instead they keep a running balance on that credit card for 5 years, the total increases to $3,112. I'd really have to like a set of wheels to give up that much to change the ones on my car. What could you do with $3,112 if someone handed you that today?

·
Registered
577 Posts
In our "fake it till you make it" world, and with the top of the income distribution having more money than they know what to do with, your appeal to financial sanity may not be real popular with luxury SUV owners. But while you're at it take a run at the absurdity of leasing by individuals. Still, I wouldn't assume that the poster is buying with credit.

Personally, I was taught that the only thing to buy with a loan is a home. If you can't pay cash for the car you want then get a less expensive one or keep the old jalopy running another year. Credit card debt is just utter madness, and buying something like (unnecessary) flashy wheels with debt is ultimately financially self-destructive. But again, that is not necessarily the case here.

BTW, this is from a guy who has owned cars continuously for 50 years, and the 2016 MDX is just my fourth car. And it is a Base SH-AWD, no spending thousands on electronic toys. OTOH my financial caution allowed me to sail to distant lands in early retirement while half of my fellow baby boomers are entering retirement with no savings at all. It is all about playing the long game.

Now back to wheels...

·
Registered
608 Posts
A bit off topic, but wanted to quickly respond.

People definitely need to save more, as 95%+ of US citizens won't be able to retire. Assuming you are saving enough to retire and properly investing in your future, then buying a new vehicle like an MDX or a set of wheels isn't going to break the bank. After all, if you are frugal your entire life and you die with 2 million in the bank, just remember dead people can't spend money. Nothing wrong with enjoying life now and spending some of that money provided you don't do so at the expense of your future.

For financing, in general yes it's not a good idea to be in debt. However consider the interest cost compared to investing your money. Same thing applies when considering to pay off your mortgage early or instead invest that money in your retirement.

For example, in the past 5 years, you'd have been MUCH better off making payments on a car loan at 2% interest and investing that $50k in your 401k in the stock market and made an annual return of 11%. In other words, if you paid $50k cash for your car instead of borrowing and investing that money you'd be forgoing a 9% annual return in the market. Assuming 11% annual return your $50k investment would be worth $84k. If your car loan costs you 2% interest per year you'd spend less than $5k in interest. So your $84k investment ($34k profit) only cost you $5k.

All this is to say there are many factors to consider when deciding when, what and how much to finance. Borrowing money isn't always a bad idea provided you're doing it for the right reasons.

Anyway, back to wheels....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts