Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any recommendations for wheel paint chip? Is this possibly covered by the warranty? 2017 MDX

·
Registered
2017 MDX Tech - Crystal Black Pearl/Black
656 Posts
I have the same thing but I think my factory wheels were
painted by dealer...

·
Registered
591 Posts
That is not simply a chip, but is a paint delamination and should be covered by warranty if your are still inside the original 3/36. If you are out of 3/36 then ask the dealer to contact Acura for a "goodwill" coverage. You'll notice there are several other spots it is occurring. It's due to surface contamination or paint material contamination at the time of original manufacture.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is not simply a chip, but is a paint delamination and should be covered by warranty if your are still inside the original 3/36. If you are out of 3/36 then ask the dealer to contact Acura for a "goodwill" coverage. You'll notice there are several other spots it is occurring. It's due to surface contamination or paint material contamination at the time of original manufacture.
Thanks. Yes, all 4 wheels are starting to delaminate. This one wheel has it the worst. Car is at 50K Miles right now, but I did purchase the extended warranty.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Highly likely that extended warranty will not cover as paint is typically not. Be prepared to ask the dealer for "goodwill" assistance from the zone service rep. Many dealers offer "wheel protection" insurance, but that is typically for road hazard situations, not that I would ever buy it as the coverage scenarios are too limited IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Highly likely that extended warranty will not cover as paint is typically not. Be prepared to ask the dealer for "goodwill" assistance from the zone service rep. Many dealers offer "wheel protection" insurance, but that is typically for road hazard situations, not that I would ever buy it as the coverage scenarios are too limited IMO.
That's Ok....Give me a reason to buy a set of RPF1's :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Those wheels don't look like they have a factory finish. Those wheels are usually polished on the surfaces and then have a grey colored paint within the surfaces. This looks like a repaint of the entire wheel....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Agree with andysinnh ... these wheels appear to have been painted. The flat outer surfaces should have a polished / chrome look.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If the warranty is a dead end, you may consider a mobile wheel repair service. Here in West Michigan we have one that is very reasonablly priced. He charged $100/wheel to repair and paint curb rash on my Mom's Buick, charged me $150/wheel to strip and PVD my Cadillac rims. Best of all he comes to the car and does it on the spot. Mom's painted rims are holding up well a year and a Michigan winter since the repair.

·
Registered
450 Posts
If you wind up no help from Acura, have them stripped and powder coated. If you choose to you can pick any color you want to match your car, or the basic silver. Stripping and powder coating should run around 50-75 dollars a corner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts